Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Conor Laverty would never last in an inter county game. He would last 5 minutes, because he'd either get busted, or be sent off for diving, cuz i really cant imagine inter county refs can be as niave as the ones within Down.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

And i dont remember who it was there a couple pages back, compared John Boyle to Greg Blaney..Come off it will ya!

gorm agus bui

Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on April 26, 2009, 06:38:50 PM
And i dont remember who it was there a couple pages back, compared John Boyle to Greg Blaney..Come off it will ya!
I can only imagine he was taking the piss!!

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: gorm agus bui on April 26, 2009, 06:53:50 PM
Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on April 26, 2009, 06:38:50 PM
I can only imagine he was taking the piss!!

I really dont think he was though..

Pangurban

Some serious grasping at Straws here lads eg. bring back Mickey Walsh, can anyone remember him having a good game in a Down jersey. A strong case could be made for John Clarke, however the fact remains that our biggest weakness is on the side-line, and the inclusion of Sean Cavanagh, the Gooch, p. Bradley et.al. would make no difference, as our present management would have them playing Basket-Ball in defence, while uttering stupid mantras about men behind the ball. We have under 21 defenders capable of hitting 40 or 50 yd. foot passes to forwards capable of winning the ball, i cant believe our seniors would be any less competent if allowed to play and express themselves. When a HB wins the ball , looks up and finds his Midfielders and forwards are standing beside him,, he has little option but to resort to keep-ball. the problem is that no team ever won anything playing football in their own half.

DownFanatic

Games now on Thursday night

Down SFL Division 1
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Comment
Castlewellan  Longstone  Castlewellan 30/04/2009 19:00 Neill Cousins Round 4 
Loughinisland  Burren  Loughinisland 30/04/2009 19:00 Shane Lowey Round 4 
Liatriom  Rostrevor  Liatriom 30/04/2009 19:00 Paul Gelston Round 4 
Bryansford  Mayobridge  Bryansford 30/04/2009 19:00 Con Reynolds Round 4 
Kilcoo  Clonduff  Kilcoo 30/04/2009 19:00 Gavin Corrigan Round 4 
Warrenpoint  Saval  Warrenpoint 30/04/2009 19:00 Alan Grant Round 4 

Down SFL Division 2

Clann na Banna  Downpatrick  Clann na Banna 30/04/2009 19:00 Peter Brannigan Round 4 
Kilclief  Atticall  Kilclief 30/04/2009 19:00 Mark Lynch Round 4 
Annaclone  Carryduff  Annaclone 30/04/2009 19:00 Seamus O Hanlon Round 4 
Ballymartin  Ballyholland  Ballymartin 30/04/2009 19:00 Martin Rawlinson Round 4 
An Riocht  Darragh Cross  An Riocht 30/04/2009 19:00 Ned Morgan Round 4 
Glasdrumman  Shamrocks  Glasdrumman 30/04/2009 19:00 Mickey Curran Round 4 

Down SFL Division 3

St Johns  Drumgath  St Johns 27/04/2009 19:00 John Killen Round 1 
Drumaness  Tullylish  Drumaness 30/04/2009 19:00 Ciaran Brannigan Round 4 
Bredagh  St Pauls  Bredagh 30/04/2009 19:00 Eugene O Hare Round 4 
Saul  Glenn  Saul 30/04/2009 19:00 Damien Laverty Round 4 
Aghaderg  St Johns  Aghaderg 30/04/2009 19:00 Sean Flynn Round 4 
Teconnaught  Dundrum  Teconnaught 30/04/2009 19:00 P D Doyle Round 4 
Drumgath  Ardglass  Drumgath 30/04/2009 19:00 Jim Burns Round 4 

Down SFL Division 4

Bright  Mitchels  Bright 30/04/2009 19:00 John Killen Round 4 
Aughlisnafin  St John Bosco  Aughlisnafin 30/04/2009 19:00 John Mc Mullan Round 4 
St Michaels  Dromara  St Michaels 30/04/2009 19:00 TBC Round 4

stpauls

DF, any reason for the change of date for the games?

thewobbler

Apparently the Down footballers are going on a love me do weekend, so the rest of us have to shift our schedules around them.

Couldn't they have had their weekend in Laois this weekend?

thewobbler

All the same to me Hardstation - it's far enough away for me not to go, so it's far enough away to make a weekend of it!

stpauls

Quote from: thewobbler on April 26, 2009, 10:30:42 PM
Apparently the Down footballers are going on a love me do weekend, so the rest of us have to shift our schedules around them.

Couldn't they have had their weekend in Laois this weekend?

holy fcuk!! there aren't too many county players in div 3, don't see the need for us to have to play our games on Thursday night!!

souljaboy

alot of posters reading alot into a joke match on saturday night, judge the county on there championship in my opinion
I like Big Butts and I cannot lie

gaahead2008

Yesterday was one of the worst days of being a down supporter, I was one of the few who travelled to watch the game and it was nothing short of an embarassment. I know it was a division 3 final and it doesnt compare to championship, but it was our last competitive game before fermanagh .....we need to be getting the small things right so the big things can happen on the big day!!

Tipperary...famous for hurling played as well as they could but Down just didnt seem to have a clue. No sign of a game plan and certainly no sign of team play. It's unfair to criticise individual peopl but as an honest fan - hughes needs to recognise he's not on his own playing footbal there are others around to help!!
there were several lads who tried hard, but to be honest when one man on the line is shouting one thing and his sidekick is shouting the opposite it's hard for the players to know who to listen to.
carr continues to hit all the free;s which says nothing for the 6 forwards that we have, who each convert frees to scores for their club.
Along with each game there is always controversy and yesterdays chat in the stand was the noteable absence of damien rafferty. he appears to have fallen out of favour in recent weeks and has been shafted from the captains role to make room for the managers son.

Hopefully gordon & co will make speedy recover's for the big clash in 3 weeks: They are badly needed!!

I have read recent posts regarding the players who are absent, Clarke & Walsh noteably - In my opinion each have played well for Down: Clarks league performance last year was incredible and Walsh put in an excellent season in 2006 collecting man of the match V Cavan & having trials with Ireland for Aussie Rules. These two players would be a welcome addition to any county team but as long as Dumb N Dumber AKA Ross N DJ are in the driving seat they shall remain out in the cold.

mournerambler

Quote from: gaahead2008 on April 26, 2009, 11:09:42 PM
Yesterday was one of the worst days of being a down supporter, I was one of the few who travelled to watch the game and it was nothing short of an embarassment. I know it was a division 3 final and it doesnt compare to championship, but it was our last competitive game before fermanagh .....we need to be getting the small things right so the big things can happen on the big day!!

Tipperary...famous for hurling played as well as they could but Down just didnt seem to have a clue. No sign of a game plan and certainly no sign of team play. It's unfair to criticise individual peopl but as an honest fan - hughes needs to recognise he's not on his own playing footbal there are others around to help!!
there were several lads who tried hard, but to be honest when one man on the line is shouting one thing and his sidekick is shouting the opposite it's hard for the players to know who to listen to.
carr continues to hit all the free;s which says nothing for the 6 forwards that we have, who each convert frees to scores for their club.
Along with each game there is always controversy and yesterdays chat in the stand was the noteable absence of damien rafferty. he appears to have fallen out of favour in recent weeks and has been shafted from the captains role to make room for the managers son.

Hopefully gordon & co will make speedy recover's for the big clash in 3 weeks: They are badly needed!!

I have read recent posts regarding the players who are absent, Clarke & Walsh noteably - In my opinion each have played well for Down: Clarks league performance last year was incredible and Walsh put in an excellent season in 2006 collecting man of the match V Cavan & having trials with Ireland for Aussie Rules. These two players would be a welcome addition to any county team but as long as Dumb N Dumber AKA Ross N DJ are in the driving seat they shall remain out in the cold.
What's wrong with Gordon, he played yesterday?

SQUAREBALL

lads, can anyone give directions of how to get to st johns pitch from belfast??? :-\