Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

John Boyle was no 11. He had a decent game, although he tired noticeably, and the comparisons with Blaney are not sustainable.

gerdy

100% rite mournerambler. Id be surprised if he played any football in the championship. seems to deliberate in posession slows things up can hit a good pass but wouldnt influence a game enough for such a crucial position. I hear mickey walsh is playing well but he too has had very few good games for down he always had the potential though

mournerambler

Quote from: Carbery on April 25, 2009, 10:11:13 PM
Who was the Down No.11 he was magnificient?  Without doubt the best centre-forward from Greg Blaney.

How many 50/50 balls did he win?
The answer would probably be none, ok he scored a point but he's way out of his depth playing at county level, you need to be prepared to put your body on the line & to be quite honest I havn't seen him do that & for you to say he's the best number 11 since Greg Blaney is just way of the mark.

gerdy

there wasnt too many boys enhanced there reputations today what happened with gordan is he injured

Pangurban

First of Congrats to tipp on a deserved win. Tonight provided further evidence, if needed, of the total unsuitability of Ross and DJ for management of a county football team. Rather than try to play the Down style of football, which players are used to week in and week out, they opt to play the Tyrone style badly. A few individuals kept Down in the game tonight, Gordon,Hughes and Ireland in particular, but as a team they were disorganised and clueless. The shot choices were Juvenile, and that is being kind. Two points were conceded by players playing the Ball across their own goal when it was totally unnecessary.  Apart from roaring contradictory instructions from the sideline, and keeping them in HT, for five minutes longer than permitted, thus incurring a fine, Ross and DJs only contribution was comedy. I still believe this squad has potential, but they will never realise it while Ross and DJ remain in charge. Expect an early exit from championship

gorm agus bui

I cannot understand how you say Hughes played well. He wom some ball but then made a "balls" of it.
)Thon boy Magee willl never be a senior footballer.
Garvey just a liability!! Dirty but not hard

mournerambler

Quote from: gorm agus bui on April 26, 2009, 12:15:05 AM
I cannot understand how you say Hughes played well. He wom some ball but then made a "balls" of it.
)Thon boy Magee willl never be a senior footballer.
Garvey just a liability!! Dirty but not hard
Would have to agree with gorm agus bui on this point, I accept that Danny did have a lot of possesion today & as always covers a hell of a lot of ground, but he always seems to want to do it all himself & score a point from impossible angles instead of a simple lay-off to a team mate in a better position ???

Mourne Rover

Hughes has had better games for Down, but he won every race for possession, scored an outstanding point and hit the post as well. His distribution could have been better, but Tipp knew he was our main threat. The rest of our forward line looked ordinary by comparison.

Trevor Hill

Danny Hughes was probably Downs best player today, which says it all. Does Aidan Carr have to hit every free ? Is there not a left footed free taker in the county  ???

mournerambler

I thought Peter Turley was having a steady game, but for some reason or other he was substituded ???

Trevor Hill

Quote from: mournerambler on April 26, 2009, 12:38:32 AM
I thought Peter Turley was having a steady game, but for some reason or other he was substituded ???

He was given a yellow card for an off the ball tackle.

mournerambler

Quote from: Trevor Hill on April 26, 2009, 12:41:32 AM
Quote from: mournerambler on April 26, 2009, 12:38:32 AM

He was given a yellow card for an off the ball tackle.
Oh rite, missed that one, just thought it was a management call.

Trevor Hill

A management call??? Its Down we are talking about, the management don't seem to make calls  :-\

Leo

Quote from: Carbery on April 25, 2009, 10:11:13 PM
Who was the Down No.11 he was magnificient?  Without doubt the best centre-forward from Greg Blaney.

This is a wind-up isn't it?
Or has it been posted by Mrs Boyle?
If it is a serious post then either the observer needs treatment urgently - or we all do.
Fierce tame altogether

behind the wire

very disappointed with the way down performed yesterday after making another long journey to support the team.

the problems i outlined after the roscommon game still persisted yesterday the only difference being that tipp knew how to exploit them. tipp are not a great side, they simply have a few decent players and are well set up with a clear game plan, something down appear to be completely devoid of. when a team of limited ability can expose such weakness by simply beng well organised it shows just how little progress has been made. a good footballing team would rip us to shreds.

once again down appeared to be completely pedestrian. whereas tipp were able to break quickly upfield without a challenge going in down's build up was typically laboured allowing defenders to get back behind the ball. down dont put the first tackle in until the opposition cross half way, continually backing off and allowing long ball to be kicked in. as before too much handing the ball from one player to the next with no progress being made.

i never criticise individuals on here because they are all doing their best but i would point out that only for danny hughes down would have suffered a much heavier defeat. he was the only one that wanted to win possession and take the game to the opposition.

thought turley did well until he was ordered off and kevin duffin looked very comfortable on the ball coming out of defence which is something down need. keeper's kickouts were good but the breaking ball statistics are woeful, i would estimate downs share of breaking ball to be in around 20%.

was paul murphy injured? i would say joe ireland is disapointed to have been taken off after being introduced. i thought he was winning some decent ball and was performing alright when he was called ashore.

thats my tuppence worth anyway. hopefully championship brings better fortunes.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest