Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: thewobbler on April 03, 2009, 09:31:38 PM
Really, I have no idea how I interpreted the following statement so wrongly.
QuoteWould I be right in saying this would be a trend in the successful county sides down the years? Given that Doyle is injured the current senior group would only have Gordan, Howard and McComiskey from East Down as certain staters.

:-\

Anyways, dramatic or not, I do find the regular complaints of South Down bias more than a tad insulting to anyone involved in county teams. South Down has a bigger catchment area and isn't afflicted with the stickfighting disease, so it makes sense that this side of the divide would normally have the higher representation. 

O dear knickers in a twist again, you have missed my point yet again.

I never made any complaints about south down bias.

I stated that there are probably only 3 or 4 players from east down that will start in a first choice 15. Now lets make this clear, I myself beleive that only those 3 or 4 players are good enough to be on the senior first 15. I also beleive that the management have selected the best squad available to them within all the county (with the exception of Wash, Clarke and Colgan) and that there has been no east/south Down bias in terms of team selection.

Now I will repeat this again, football in the eastern part of the county is alot weaker than in South Down - that is my belief as a Gael from East Down. This is due to the fact  the likes of Downpatrick, Castlewellan and Bryansford have struggled in the past couple of years for a variety of reasons and that those tight hoors from kilcoo don't mix it at county level.

But its not all doom and gloom, the clubs I mentioned above are now backboned by a lot of decent youngsters as reflected on both last years and this years u/21 sides. In addition Loughinisland have a strong squad and all this only bodes well for our future county senior teams.

Football will always be a hotbed in south Down, but when the standards drop in the rest of the county (as they seem to every few years) then the county team is much more likely to struggle - this would be the case anywhere else, and appears to be the case in Down when you look at how the successful teams of the 60s and 90s were made up.

amallon

Well done to St. John's on a great night last night in the CC with their "Not a question of sport" event.  Mickey Harte, Benny Teirney, Trevor Ringland, Neil Collins and Paddy Heany were taking questions with Austin O'Callaghan as MC.  Great nights value, Tierney should have been a comedian.  Harte was getting a bit hot under the collar at one stage when he was being asked about cynical teams and referees.  Austin was made to squirm a bit when asked about the poor coverage of Gaelic games on the beeb and UTV.

The got a big turn out and I hope they did well out of it.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Mourne Rover

Glasdrumman are through to the final of Celebrity Banisteoir after beating St Patrick's GAC by eight points in Limerick.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on April 04, 2009, 02:28:31 PM
Now I will repeat this again, football in the eastern part of the county is alot weaker than in South Down - that is my belief as a Gael from East Down.

+1

True (and I'm also east down).
i usse an speelchekor

bredaghgael86

Lads anyone any idea what the outcome of the meeting re; intermediate and junior hurling championship on wednesday night?

Whitehair

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on April 04, 2009, 07:11:14 PM
Lads anyone any idea what the outcome of the meeting re; intermediate and junior hurling championship on wednesday night?

With regards the Down Intermediate Championship, im led to believe that it will be contested solely by non-ards teams with the winner representing Down in Ulster. There will then be another competition ran in the summer called possibly the Betsy Gray which will be contested by the Ards II's as well as the Non-ards Intermediate clubs, the winner of this competion will then be allowed to re-enter the competition the following year so that fellas aren't missing out on a years Hurling as was the case by winning the Intermedite. This is what ive been told but im open to correction.

DownFanatic

East Down Reserve League Results

A1
Teconnaught 1-07  Dundrum 3-06

A2
Ardglass  4-12   2-04 Darragh Cross   
St Pauls  1-17   2-03 Saul 

Johnnie99

EDRFL

St Johns bt Bryansford III's

johnneycool

Quote from: johnthebanker on April 07, 2009, 08:05:30 AM
Quote from: Whitehair on April 04, 2009, 10:18:43 PM
Quote from: bredaghgael86 on April 04, 2009, 07:11:14 PM

With regards the Down Intermediate Championship, im led to believe that it will be contested solely by non-ards teams with the winner representing Down in Ulster. There will then be another competition ran in the summer called possibly the Betsy Gray which will be contested by the Ards II's as well as the Non-ards Intermediate clubs, the winner of this competion will then be allowed to re-enter the competition the following year so that fellas aren't missing out on a years Hurling as was the case by winning the Intermedite. This is what ive been told but im open to correction.

that well kep bredagh and newry happy  ;D ;D ;D ;D maybe better off with go games  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good man John, when did your mammy get the broadband in?

T O Hare

Round three of premier reserve football is on Easter Monday at 6pm >:( :o >:(
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

No1

Saw that today right nuff, they do that every year.  Ridiculous.  Thank f**k we are playing EDRFL this year! 

Never thought I'd see the day but thank God for Satch and the boys on the East Down Board  ;D

Kilclief seconds beat Bredagh III's by a heap in the EDRFL last night.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: T O Hare on April 07, 2009, 12:53:48 PM
Round three of premier reserve football is on Easter Monday at 6pm >:( :o >:(

You should welcome a quick chance of getting back on winning ways ;D ;D

illdecide

Lads we (Clan na Gael) have a friendly with Kilcoo tonight and i'm not 100% sure on the directions...Can someone please advise...

If we go to Banbridge - Rathfriland - Hilltown - Head for Fofany - I think thats near the Bryansford Rd?? (i know thats not how you spell it) am i near it???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thewobbler

ill decide -

When you get to Hilltown from Rathfriland, take a left heading downhill through the village. Continue straight for about 4-5 miles. You'll then come to a staggered crossroads with a pub on your left.

Take a right at the crossroads and after about a mile you'll be in Kilcoo central. Oh, the fun.

Plough on through Kilcoo and not too long later you'll see a country pub on your left. Take the next left after the pub onto a road that looks like it leads nowhere. It actually leads to their pitch, after about 200 yards, on your left.

illdecide

Thanks there chief...I take it we go past Clonduff's pitch and head out that road??? It is onlt 5 miles from Hilltown to the junction of the Castlewellan/Dublin Road??? I assume that junction your refeering to is before that main junction???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch