Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: thewobbler on February 20, 2009, 10:36:12 AM
I agree with the sentiments about £60 a ticket being too much for anyone in the current climate.

But when put another way, it's only a tax of £4,200 on each club. Which, if used to produce something like Pairc Esler, is well worth it in my opinion. EVERY club in the county should be fullly behind a scheme that improves facilities and structures in the county. It can only have a positive effect on their own club in the long run.

My concern here is in getting details of exactly what the 'tax' might be used for. I'd be wary of how much county board expenditure is directly related to county teams. Given the prices we've to pay into even McKenna Cup games these days, I'd like to think that these teams can more than cover their own expenses.   

£60 may be a bit much for a one off draw but the old county board draw was for 5 weeks but I can't remember for sure.

I'd like to see at least £20 of each ticket sold going directly to the club who sold it. In that way the clubs can use the county draw as a means of fundraising themselves plus clubs are more likely to sell tickets if there is a direct benefit to them and in the same manner people are more inclined to buy tickets if they see that direct benefit going to their local club.

If the county board expect to take all the money then it'll fall flat on its face!

centre 3/4s

£ 60 quid!! I would'n give that county board the skin of my shite... or matts chat in that case

DaddyLongLegs

The re-introduction of a County draw would be a bit hard to take for Clubs who continue to subscribe to the Pairc Esler scheme while neighbouring clubs never bothered and continue not having to with no apparant sanction.

Also if such a draw is to take place, then tickets should be allocated according to the size of the Club, number of teams etc - its would be ridiculous if every Club, irrespective of size, would be asked to sell exactly the same number of tickets (this was the case the last time). County Board fees etc should be administered on the same principle.

And before you start, yes, ticket allocation for county matches should be on exactly the same basis - the larger Clubs need a bigger allocation than the smaller Clubs.

Leo

Quote from: Blue Island on February 19, 2009, 09:33:52 PM

This is what happens when you kill the goose that laid the golden egg ie. club down. It beggars belief.

Ah Blue Island you are psychic as word on the grapevine is the the county board is trying to ressurrect Club Down as a major fund-raising body. This is interesting as there were plenty of people associated with the county board who resented Club Down because they did their own thing - and delivered. Talk about biting the hand that feeds!
If the new Club Down is allowed to follow the same line then you can expect their proposals will be more sensible as they never bothered the clubs with their previous efforts.
Fierce tame altogether

gorm agus bui

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on February 20, 2009, 01:36:45 PM
The re-introduction of a County draw would be a bit hard to take for Clubs who continue to subscribe to the Pairc Esler scheme while neighbouring clubs never bothered and continue not having to with no apparant sanction.

only a handful of clubs fully subscribed to Pairc Esler and when it came to divvying out the Soccer/Rugby money got nothing more than a slap in the teeth

5 Sams

Quote from: gorm agus bui on February 20, 2009, 02:43:05 PM

only a handful of clubs fully subscribed to Pairc Esler and when it came to divvying out the Soccer/Rugby money got nothing more than a slap in the teeth

Is it not the other way round.....I think only 3 or 4 clubs DIDN'T fully subscribe to the Marshes redevelopment.

The Aristocrat Years

gaahead2008

Only 10 clubs contributed in full to marshes development....thats even less than 1/4 clubs in down....

and at the end of it all, shamrocks have final say over everything that goes on in pairc esler!!

the monthly payment was a great idea from shamrocks point of view, but not for those struggling to make sure they meet the payment every month!!

also, delegates from each club need to stand strong on the £60draw ticket...OBJECTION!!

gorm agus bui

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 20, 2009, 02:50:12 PM
Quote from: gorm agus bui on February 20, 2009, 02:43:05 PM

Is it not the other way round.....I think only 3 or 4 clubs DIDN'T fully subscribe to the Marshes redevelopment.

The important word here is FULLY. there were only a handful who FULLY paid up.

charlie stubbs

lads can anyone confirm if the down u21 and armagh under 21 game still taking place at 2.00 pm today?cheers

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: charlie stubbs on February 21, 2009, 10:36:13 AM
lads can anyone confirm if the down u21 and armagh under 21 game still taking place at 2.00 pm today?cheers

where is this game due to be played at?

charlie stubbs

game was at park eslar mg.  was very disappointed with down u21s today.  was told by one of there players only missing murney,mccomiskey, oreilly from their full side though magee went off early after scoring a point.  thought down would have been 2 strong for armagh but suppose u21 football very hard to predict.  no.18 for down went off with a serious looking ankle injury hope it aint as bad as looks!

charlie stubbs

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: charlie stubbs on February 21, 2009, 05:27:21 PM
ps game finished 2-15 to 0-8!

Jesus didnt expect such a hiding after beating Tyrone. I really think Down under21s need a better half back line. very weak in that line. I dont think Ryan Boyle, Coffey, Joe Murphy or Somers are the best in the county to play in half back line. any Armagh senior panelists on under 21s charlie?

DownFanatic

I would read absolutely nothing in to that result.

rattle-the-net

Was very disappointed with down 2day, we can use the excuse we had a few boys missing but i heard armagh people talking in the crowd, obviously the crossmaglen boys were missing and there is at least 4 of them, then they had toner and two fellas along the side line who were not stripped out so they were not at full strength either!! Armagh were looking good to be honest.