Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Aidan Carr used to do a great job for Down at u21 level at number 11. Hes a good passer of the ball and he knows about space and movement. He can spray balls into the inside forwards and he wont clutter up the place. Plus his improved defensive skills could only be a help in their half.

sabhallphadraig

Div 3 and Div 4 fixtures released. First games are (April 17th) :

Div 3
Dundrum      v  Tullylish
Ardglass        v  Bredagh
Drumaness    v  Saul
St Pauls        v  Aghaderg
Glenn           v  Teconnaught
St Johns       v  Drumgath

Div 4
St Michaels    v  Aughlisnafinn
Ballykinlar       v Bright
Dromara        v Mitchels
St John Bosco    Bye         

andunabu

big jackie tried hard on saturday night, but the verbal personal abuse by fans was totally uncalled for!!

Totally agree with this.  I heard it myself!! The man is doing his best.  The management obviously pick him for a reason.  He should not be getting personal abuse no matter what. 

Good to see Big Dan back and McComiskey back.

[/quote]

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: andunabu on February 18, 2009, 11:48:05 AM
big jackie tried hard on saturday night, but the verbal personal abuse by fans was totally uncalled for!!

Totally agree with this.  I heard it myself!! The man is doing his best.  The management obviously pick him for a reason.  He should not be getting personal abuse no matter what. 

Good to see Big Dan back and McComiskey back.

[/quote]

Thought big Jack played ok on sat night, bit unlucky to be taken off, was getting in the mix and throwing himself about. He shouldnt receive any abuse nor should any other player, people have to remember these lads are only amateurs!

Would like to see Mccomiskey in at left half forward maybe Dan at centre half forward for a few games! Dont know about Maginn, McArdle and OReilly, dont think they are county standard yet.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on February 17, 2009, 11:42:06 PM
Aidan Carr used to do a great job for Down at u21 level at number 11. Hes a good passer of the ball and he knows about space and movement. He can spray balls into the inside forwards and he wont clutter up the place. Plus his improved defensive skills could only be a help in their half.

Add to that winning the Sigerson with QUB at number 11, when he was an integral part of the team.

DownFanatic

Senior Fixtures for 2009

Div 3 2009

Round One
Dundrum v Tullylish
Ardglass v Bredagh
Drumaness v Saul
St Pauls v Aghaderg
Glenn v Teconnaught
St Johns v Drumgath

Round Two
Tullylish v Ardglass
Bredagh v Dundrum
Saul v St Pauls
Aghaderg v Drumaness
Teconnaught v St Johns
Drumgath v Glenn

Round Three
Dundrum v Saul
Ardglass v Aghaderg
St Pauls v Drumgath
Drumaness v Teconnaught
Glenn v Tullylish
St Johns v Bredagh

Round Four
Tullylish v Drumaness
Bredagh v St Pauls
Saul v Glenn
Aghaderg v St Johns
Teconnaught v Dundrum
Drumgath v Ardglass

Round Five
St Johns v Saul
Dundrum v Aghaderg
Ardglass v Teconnaught
Drumaness v Drumgath
St Pauls v Tullylish
Glenn v Bredagh

Round Six
Tullylish v St Johns
Bredagh v Drumaness
Saul v Ardglass
Aghaderg v Glenn
Teconnaught v St Pauls
Drumgath v Dundrum

Round Seven
Glenn v St Pauls
Drumaness v Ardglass
Dundrum v St Johns
Teconnaught v Aghaderg
Saul v Bredagh
Tullylish v Drumgath

Round Eight
Ardglass v Glenn
Drumgath v Saul
Bredagh v Teconnaught
St Pauls v Dundrum
St Johns v Drumaness
Aghaderg v Tullylish

Round Nine
Dundrum v Ardglass
Glenn v Drumaness
St Pauls v St Johns
Tullylish v Bredagh
Saul v Teconnaught
Aghaderg v Drumgath

Round Ten
Drumaness v Dundrum
Glenn v St Johns
Ardglass v St Pauls
Saul v Tullylish
Bredagh v Aghaderg
Teconnaught v Drumgath

Round Eleven
St Johns v Ardglass
Dundrum v Glenn
St Pauls v Drumaness
Drumgath v Bredagh
Tullylish v Teconnaught
Aghaderg v Saul

off the laces

i read in matt's chat last night the county powers that be are going to debate on bringing back the compulsary buying by clubs off 70 tickets at £60 each, it will then be up to the clubs to sell them to their members or face losing out on the money themselves, this is a great way for the county board to get money into the coffers but very hard on the clubs, as it will be up to them to get/put pressure on their members to cough up the money, which in the current economic climate, whith memberships and insurance rising is going to see people turning their backs on GAA, and will bring back the (Grab all Association remarks).
Keeps 'er' straight

johnneycool

Quote from: off the laces on February 19, 2009, 03:28:26 PM
i read in matt's chat last night the county powers that be are going to debate on bringing back the compulsary buying by clubs off 70 tickets at £60 each, it will then be up to the clubs to sell them to their members or face losing out on the money themselves, this is a great way for the county board to get money into the coffers but very hard on the clubs, as it will be up to them to get/put pressure on their members to cough up the money, which in the current economic climate, whith memberships and insurance rising is going to see people turning their backs on GAA, and will bring back the (Grab all Association remarks).
Ah, the good ole county draw which nay still work as long as there are decent prizes plus clubs are rewarded for selling their quotas and more and I'm not talking about a set of free jerseys.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: NedFlanders on February 16, 2009, 01:42:04 PM
County footballers had a great win in Newry on Saturday, they maybe didn't deserve it but they got it, they got away with letting a 5 point lead slip, there getting a bit of luck now, maybe this could be the year for a Promotion push? Also, Brendan McVeigh, man of the match, saved down on a number of occasions, not to mention saving a late penalty ;)Aidan Carr also scored a couple of splendid frees and Benny, as always, looked sharp. Great to see big Dan Gordan and wee Paul McComilsky back again, if down going win anything they need captin Dan fit all year, Big Jackie Lynch had a powerful game too. But again down looked poor going forward, need a bit strength in the forward line, maybe John Clarke? I'm just saying that maybe it wouldn't hurt to put personal differences aside, players should be played on Merit.! Fair play to the team and management on a great win over an in-form Louth team!  ;D

hardly playing the omnibus role..

charlie stubbs

carr was very impressive the lastime i saw him at chf v poly in the sigerson final.  played a deep role and sprayed some great passes that day.  if yas had benny and mccomiskey flying out of the corners could be an idea, though having developed him into a good whb maybe ross would be robbing peter to pay paul, as the halfback line would become weaker

T O Hare

Clubs are trying to raise their own finances without this burden, who in this climate would buy a £60 draw ticket!!!!! I often wonder who comes up with such stupid ideas!!!!
Remember there was a scrath card initaitive a few years back which the clubs had to fork out for????
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Blue Island

This is what happens when you kill the goose that laid the golden egg ie. club down. It beggars belief.

Pangurban

Blue Island has summed it up exactly, it beggars belief, and will severely hamper local development in small clubs

Superstar

Thats an absolute joke, as Tom said who is forking out for £60 draw tickets at the minute - no-one, ya couldnt get lads to buy them if the money was going directly into their own clubs never mind for a county draw.
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

thewobbler

I agree with the sentiments about £60 a ticket being too much for anyone in the current climate.

But when put another way, it's only a tax of £4,200 on each club. Which, if used to produce something like Pairc Esler, is well worth it in my opinion. EVERY club in the county should be fullly behind a scheme that improves facilities and structures in the county. It can only have a positive effect on their own club in the long run.

My concern here is in getting details of exactly what the 'tax' might be used for. I'd be wary of how much county board expenditure is directly related to county teams. Given the prices we've to pay into even McKenna Cup games these days, I'd like to think that these teams can more than cover their own expenses.