Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on February 14, 2009, 01:48:03 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 12, 2009, 10:46:56 PM
With the Bridge dominating the club scene over the best part of the past 10 years and especially the SFC, who do posters think will be the team to take over their mantle?

If teams believe they can beat the bridge then it will happen. Kilcoo showed that in the league final last year. I only think there is 3 teams that can potentially overcome their dominance. Burren, Longstone and Kilcoo. Teams like Rostrevor, Castlewellan and Bryansford can cause a shock but have not the same consistency as the above 3. The stone where very unlucky with injuries last year while Burren took Loughinisland for granted in the simi final which cost them. Kilcoo lost a man against Burren and the extra man made all the difference in that replayed quarter final. The Bridge have avoided these 3 teams in the early rounds of the championship in recent years and have scrapped through the early rounds against average opposition. I think if they get Kilcoo, Burren or the stone in first round or quarter final then they will be defeated and it will make for an intriguing championship.

I have the upmost respect for the Mayobridge club and the feats achieved by their Senior team over the past decade. However, it is very unlikely that they will be able to sustain this high level of achievement for much longer.

I can see them taking the 2009 SFC and possibly do the same in 2010. Yet, there must be some team, somewhere within the SFC that will be able to unlock them.

Personally, I cant see Kilcoo being that team. Now, this seems like a very poor reason but Kilcoo's lack of height in most departments has severely limited their Plan B options in my mind. Also, anytime I have seen them in the Championship, they seem intent on niggly stuff and usually after a red card or two they hit the self destruct button. However, the big plus side for them is that in two to three years they will have a whole new breed of players coming through that know how to win Championships and win them well. Id say in about five years Kilcoo will be the team to beat.

Of the other contenders, you would be looking to the likes of Burren, Rostrevor, Longstone, Bryansford, Clonduff and Castlewellan. Now for what its worth I would think that only Longstone and Bryansford would be realistically capable of taking the SFC.

An injury free Longstone first XV is a very exciting prospect and id say they would have learnt a lot from their 2007 exploits.The key for them is keeping Dawson in place and with at least two highly rated players making the step up from Minors each year, I think they are the team to finally take the Bridge's crown.

Bryansford are worthy contenders as well for another SFC. McGrath generally works wonders with any club he puts his hands to. 2009 may be a year too early but with the bulk of the 2003 winning team about to hit their peak, the Ford will definitely be there or thereabouts in the next few years.

I still think the Bridge will win it again this year and this bunch of players will want to give Ulster a better stab at.

DownFanatic

From downgaa.net

Glasdrumman defeated Kildare side Rathangan by one point in the opening game of Celebrity Bainisteoir 2009.

Unlike the real GAA world - you only have one chance, so that is the end of the road for the Kildare side while the Down side go into the next round. 

Rathangan were managed by Kildare town man Ray Darcy and mentored by Jack OShea, while Glasdrumman manager was Derek Davis and his mentor was 1991 and 1994 All Ireland Winning manager Pete McGrath.

They semi finals are scheduled for April and the final will take place in May at Parnell Park.

The other participants are Sneem (Kerry), Cuala (Dublin), St. Patricks (Limerick), Dromahair (Leitrim), st. Michaels (Roscommon), Rockwell Rovers (Tipperary).

centre 3/4s

Anyone know of any radio stations broadcasting the game tonight have to work and cant get to newry 1st game ive missed in 3 years

Downgael2008

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 14, 2009, 05:14:55 PM
Glasdrumman defeated Kildare side Rathangan by one point in the opening game of Celebrity Bainisteoir 2009.

Unlike the real GAA world - you only have one chance, so that is the end of the road for the Kildare side while the Down side go into the next round. 

Rathangan were managed by Kildare town man Ray Darcy and mentored by Jack OShea, while Glasdrumman manager was Derek Davis and his mentor was 1991 and 1994 All Ireland Winning manager Pete McGrath.

They semi finals are scheduled for April and the final will take place in May at Parnell Park.

The other participants are Sneem (Kerry), Cuala (Dublin), St. Patricks (Limerick), Dromahair (Leitrim), st. Michaels (Roscommon), Rockwell Rovers (Tipperary).

Where does Pete get the time ?? Bryansford, Down u21, Sportstracker ??

Dubh driocht

Re Celebrity Banisteoir ; Rathangan V Glasdrumman -Without giving away anything more than DF already has, do NOT miss this game when it is on RTE

DownFanatic

Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 14, 2009, 08:54:03 PM
Re Celebrity Banisteoir ; Rathangan V Glasdrumman -Without giving away anything more than DF already has, do NOT miss this game when it is on RTE

When are RTE broadcasting it?

Mourne Rover

RTE have not confirmed the dates yet, but it should be starting soon and presumably will still be at 6.30pm every Sunday. The Glasdrumman game had absolutely everything, and it will be essential viewing. A small club with a big heart can go a long way.

Mid Down Gael

Anyone know throw in time for under 21 game in newry tomorrow night against Tyrone?

5 Sams

Well done to Aidan Mallon and the bridge quiz team last night in the South Down Final....yiz got your revenge ;)

See you in Saval in a fortnight
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

Yes we got the rub of the green last night but winning the South Down has always been a jinx for us.  This is the 4th time we've won it and never ended up winning the county in any of those years.  When we were runners up in South Down we did win the county title!

Do you remember the list of winners?

Winners   &  Runners Up
Ceili Dancing:
Solo Singing:
Instrumental Music:  ?? & Mayobridge
Recitation: ??, Paddy Duffy (Mayobridge)
Novelty Act: Ballyholland & Clonduff
Ballad Group:
Set Dancing: Clonduff (Football), Clonduff (Camogie)
Quiz: Mayobridge & Ballyholland

Another full house, pair dues to Saval they have some setup.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on February 16, 2009, 11:41:00 AM
Yes we got the rub of the green last night but winning the South Down has always been a jinx for us.  This is the 4th time we've won it and never ended up winning the county in any of those years.  When we were runners up in South Down we did win the county title!

Do you remember the list of winners?

Winners   &  Runners Up
Ceili Dancing:Ballyholland and Saval
Solo Singing: Donyt know the winner, Ballyholland second
Instrumental Music:  Tullylish& Mayobridge
Recitation: ??, Paddy Duffy (Mayobridge)
Novelty Act: Ballyholland & Clonduff
Ballad Group: Rostrevor and Glenn
Set Dancing: Clonduff (Football), Clonduff (Camogie)
Quiz: Mayobridge & Ballyholland

Another full house, pair dues to Saval they have some setup.
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

There were a couple of new awards for most improved club etc.  Who got these?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

thewobbler

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I'm looking forward to some good old hurling chat on the Down thread. Anything but Scor :-(

NedFlanders

County footballers had a great win in Newry on Saturday, they maybe didn't deserve it but they got it, they got away with letting a 5 point lead slip, there getting a bit of luck now, maybe this could be the year for a Promotion push? Also, Brendan McVeigh, man of the match, saved down on a number of occasions, not to mention saving a late penalty ;)Aidan Carr also scored a couple of splendid frees and Benny, as always, looked sharp. Great to see big Dan Gordan and wee Paul McComilsky back again, if down going win anything they need captin Dan fit all year, Big Jackie Lynch had a powerful game too. But again down looked poor going forward, need a bit strength in the forward line, maybe John Clarke? I'm just saying that maybe it wouldn't hurt to put personal differences aside, players should be played on Merit.! Fair play to the team and management on a great win over an in-form Louth team!  ;D

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on February 16, 2009, 12:40:34 PM
There were a couple of new awards for most improved club etc.  Who got these?

We got the Senior award and St Michaels got the junior...there was another award but I dont know who won it or what it was for...

Quote from: thewobbler on February 16, 2009, 01:17:52 PM
I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I'm looking forward to some good old hurling chat on the Down thread. Anything but Scor :-(

Wheres your culture Wobbs??....and you a past participant ;)
The Aristocrat Years