Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorm agus bui

Quote from: YogiBear on February 11, 2009, 10:57:50 AM
Heard yesterday that an ex-Antrim county player has joined Burren.  Apparently lives with his girlfriend down there now, wondering has anyone else heard this?
Calling the young girls reputation into question.!! I mean going out with an ex Antrim player

Square Ball

Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on February 11, 2009, 03:15:02 PM
Heard yesterday that an ex-Antrim county player has joined Burren.  Apparently lives with his girlfriend down there now, wondering has anyone else heard this?

heard it all before, i suppose its mcgourty is it? yawwwwwwwn.

So you are saying there is no substance to this?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

With the Bridge dominating the club scene over the best part of the past 10 years and especially the SFC, who do posters think will be the team to take over their mantle?

Johnnie99

St Johns GAC are having a fundraising night in the Canal Court Hotel on 3rd April to raise funds to help rebuild the clubrooms which were destroyed in the arson attack last September.  Confirmed guests are Mickey Harte, Joe Brolly & Paddy Heaney and more to follow.  Tickets are £60 each or £500 for a table of 10.  Theme is a Question of Sport type quiz then dinner and music by Blues Brothers.

PM me for further details on this if interested.

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: Johnnie99 on February 12, 2009, 10:53:18 PM
St Johns GAC are having a fundraising night in the Canal Court Hotel on 3rd April to raise funds to help rebuild the clubrooms which were destroyed in the arson attack last September.  Confirmed guests are Mickey Harte, Joe Brolly & Paddy Heaney and more to follow.  Tickets are £60 each or £500 for a table of 10.  Theme is a Question of Sport type quiz then dinner and music by Blues Brothers.

Any details on what the total cost will be? Will the cost not be covered by the NI office/GAA insurance - if not whats the shortfall that the Club has to raise? I understood that all GAA property was insured so it seems a terrible disgrace that the Club is left to start fundraising. Has the Club lobbied local councillors, MEPs etc for support?

bredaghgael86

Quote from: johnneycool on February 11, 2009, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: bredaghgael86 on February 09, 2009, 10:04:32 PM
Just looking at the fixtures for our hurlers in div 1 for this year.  Are these confirmed, or subject to change?  Far be it for me to seem like im complaining, but we only have 1 home game in the first half of the season, and the first three weeks we are down the ards.  I knw we have to play them all eventually, (well thats the plan, but in this league its not a definite), but it does seem odd of the way it has turned out.  This wouldnt have anything to do with teams not wanting to travel to belfast?  Anyway, how do people see the leagues going this year?  I also think our footballers will have enough to go up this year. Hopefully anyway.  ny other predictions for both codes?

Both our teams in the leagues seem to have a reasonable smattering of home/away fixtures the first few rounds or so probably because if one's at home the other has to be away so I'd say we've no complaints there. I also see that the leagues are better spread out over the year, well that seems to be the plan whereas last year a lot of our lads lad little or no hurling during the height of summer.

It wasnt actually the ards teams i menat specifically as they, as far as i can remember all travelled to cherryvale last year, ports and galget definetly did, i cant remeber if crans did.  But newry, kilclief and liatroim didnt make it up the road.  Just seems a bit odd the way it has worked out.  What will the ards teams be like in div.1 this year? more of the same?

don't know if anyone has issues around going to Cherryvale as we've a fair smattering of players who either work or live in Belfast and it's probably handier for them than home fixtures.

johnneycool

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on February 13, 2009, 01:31:29 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 11, 2009, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: bredaghgael86 on February 09, 2009, 10:04:32 PM
Just looking at the fixtures for our hurlers in div 1 for this year.  Are these confirmed, or subject to change?  Far be it for me to seem like im complaining, but we only have 1 home game in the first half of the season, and the first three weeks we are down the ards.  I knw we have to play them all eventually, (well thats the plan, but in this league its not a definite), but it does seem odd of the way it has turned out.  This wouldnt have anything to do with teams not wanting to travel to belfast?  Anyway, how do people see the leagues going this year?  I also think our footballers will have enough to go up this year. Hopefully anyway.  ny other predictions for both codes?

Both our teams in the leagues seem to have a reasonable smattering of home/away fixtures the first few rounds or so probably because if one's at home the other has to be away so I'd say we've no complaints there. I also see that the leagues are better spread out over the year, well that seems to be the plan whereas last year a lot of our lads lad little or no hurling during the height of summer.

don't know if anyone has issues around going to Cherryvale as we've a fair smattering of players who either work or live in Belfast and it's probably handier for them than home fixtures.

It wasnt actually the ards teams i menat specifically as they, as far as i can remember all travelled to cherryvale last year, ports and galget definetly did, i cant remeber if crans did.  But newry, kilclief and liatroim didnt make it up the road.  Just seems a bit odd the way it has worked out.  What will the ards teams be like in div.1 this year? more of the same?

If you've 7 away fixtures out of 8 then that is strange and not purely random, has Mr Blaney asked for a review.

After a quick review so mistakes can be made:

Liatroim, Shamrocks, Ballygalget and Warrenpoint have 5 home, 3 away
Ballela, Portaferry, Kilclief have 4 home and 4 away
Ballycran have 3 home and 5 away
Bredagh have 1 home and 7 away

To the untrained eye people will suggest that you'll have all your home fixtures during the reverse fixtures but the dogs on the streets know that certain teams aren't good at travelling especially when they've nothing to play for later in the year

Has Bredagh pissed someone off perchance?  ;D

bredaghgael86

I dont know? have we? im really not sure.  I think we have put some sort of appeal, or whatever it is teams do in a situation like this.  That is exactly what we are worried about.  Teams wouldnt travel to us in the first half of the season, never mind in the 2nd half when there may not be a lot to pay for.  Though i think if people enjoy playing then it should be reason enough to turn up.  How are we meant to promote hurling in our club if there are never any games for people to come and watch. I dont know, just a bit odd i guess.

supersub

Quote from: Square Ball on February 11, 2009, 07:13:51 PM
Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on February 11, 2009, 03:15:02 PM

heard it all before, i suppose its mcgourty is it? yawwwwwwwn.

So you are saying there is no substance to this?

Burren creating a stir again. such a nice close nit community team aren't they! :)

Double Cross

Quote from: supersub on February 13, 2009, 04:16:08 PM
Burren creating a stir again. such a nice close nit community team aren't they! :)

I think you`ll find the "rumour" wasnt started by anyone from Burren, more likely someone who would be more at home on hoganstand  ;)

Superstar

Folks, our club, Clann na Banna, are holding a bit of a fundraiser next Sunday afternoon. We are running a Texas Hold Em tournament in O'Reillys bar (formerly Jamies), Peggys loaning, Banbridge. Poker starts at 3pm. It shoudl be a good afternoons craic, so if anyone is free and interested why dont you come along and support a local club, have a bitta banter, a few scoops and ya might even win a bit of cash  :o :o :o
If it wasnt for this auld knee injury...........

Johnnie99

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on February 13, 2009, 09:09:58 AM
Quote from: Johnnie99 on February 12, 2009, 10:53:18 PM

Any details on what the total cost will be? Will the cost not be covered by the NI office/GAA insurance - if not whats the shortfall that the Club has to raise? I understood that all GAA property was insured so it seems a terrible disgrace that the Club is left to start fundraising. Has the Club lobbied local councillors, MEPs etc for support?

Dont know the details myself but I would assume you could not depend on insurance money to rebuild the clubrooms.  The clubrooms, although a great setup for a small rural club, were 20 years old so to build a modern facility there would have to be a significant level of fundraising to build something suitable for the current era. 

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on February 13, 2009, 01:54:17 PM
Has Bredagh pissed someone off perchance?  ;D

The fixtures have been changed. It was accepted fairly quickly by all concerned that Bredagh had got the short end of the stick.

supersub

Quote from: Double Cross on February 13, 2009, 04:52:19 PM
Quote from: supersub on February 13, 2009, 04:16:08 PM

I think you`ll find the "rumour" wasnt started by anyone from Burren, more likely someone who would be more at home on hoganstand  ;)

haha i know im only winding them! still must have originated not far from a burren mouth  :D

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 12, 2009, 10:46:56 PM
With the Bridge dominating the club scene over the best part of the past 10 years and especially the SFC, who do posters think will be the team to take over their mantle?

If teams believe they can beat the bridge then it will happen. Kilcoo showed that in the league final last year. I only think there is 3 teams that can potentially overcome their dominance. Burren, Longstone and Kilcoo. Teams like Rostrevor, Castlewellan and Bryansford can cause a shock but have not the same consistency as the above 3. The stone where very unlucky with injuries last year while Burren took Loughinisland for granted in the simi final which cost them. Kilcoo lost a man against Burren and the extra man made all the difference in that replayed quarter final. The Bridge have avoided these 3 teams in the early rounds of the championship in recent years and have scrapped through the early rounds against average opposition. I think if they get Kilcoo, Burren or the stone in first round or quarter final then they will be defeated and it will make for an intriguing championship.