Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 01, 2009, 09:30:21 PM
Seems like a good performance and great to get a win but some of the same old problems -

I thought it was a very poor performance, very scrappy and no flow to the game at all. It was like a schools game, full of simple mistakes. Down should be blowing the likes of Tipperary out of the water, not struggling for long periods of the game.
Tipperary had players warming up all through the game, if they needed a replacement there was a man ready for action. Down received 3 yellows. On each occasion everyone on the Down bench just looked at each other, in fact Down were down to 14 men for the last few minutes of the first half and conceded 2 points. They didn't make a change until the start of the second half. I know they are only small things, but if Down are serious about promotion, they need to get everything right. It was only Tipperary today, much bigger game in 2 weeks.

western exile

Trevor Hills report is just about right. Although a little harsh on Fagan who had a good second half.
Another point I would add is that Tipperary had absolutely no ability to score from play. They were only kept in the game in the first half by accurate free taking, with the wind at their backs, from frees conceded by Down.  Against a team who could actually score from play, Down would have been in trouble.
However, a win is a win, and every league point is needed for an attempt at promotion.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: Trevor Hill on February 01, 2009, 09:39:44 PM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 01, 2009, 09:30:21 PM
Seems like a good performance and great to get a win but some of the same old problems -

I thought it was a very poor performance, very scrappy and no flow to the game at all. It was like a schools game, full of simple mistakes. Down should be blowing the likes of Tipperary out of the water, not struggling for long periods of the game.
Tipperary had players warming up all through the game, if they needed a replacement there was a man ready for action. Down received 3 yellows. On each occasion everyone on the Down bench just looked at each other, in fact Down were down to 14 men for the last few minutes of the first half and conceded 2 points. They didn't make a change until the start of the second half. I know they are only small things, but if Down are serious about promotion, they need to get everything right. It was only Tipperary today, much bigger game in 2 weeks.

Did you ever say it was a very bad performance?  You gave you opinion on many players, alot of which were positive.  You stated the first 15 minutes where Down scored 8 unanswered points was like the Down team of old.  Offer a view on the overall play and we won't make assumptions.

NedFlanders

Woopdy-f**king do, we beat a second rate tipp team, just cause we won a match dont mean were a good team, some of yous bies needa wise up, big time. The only reason we won tonight was because of B.McVeigh, made numerous saves and played fairly well. Some of  yous fella call this a good win, put that team up against Kerry and we'll see what yous have to say

DownFanatic

Quote from: NedFlanders on February 01, 2009, 11:17:34 PM
Woopdy-f**king do, we beat a second rate tipp team, just cause we won a match dont mean were a good team, some of yous bies needa wise up, big time. The only reason we won tonight was because of B.McVeigh, made numerous saves and played fairly well. Some of  yous fella call this a good win, put that team up against Kerry and we'll see what yous have to say

Seriously lad. Take yourself back to the Hoganstand and bring your An Riocht tinted glasses with you.

Pangurban

If our future performances match todays, this could be our last league win this year. Any other team in this division would have taken us apart. Tipperary were totally inept, any club team in Down would have beaten them. After today i feel really pessimistic, think we are going backwards. The lads who will be coming back will improve things somewhat,  but until we get better organisation and committment, things look bleak. I know its only February,, and its Div 3, but when we watch the pace and competiveness of most of the other teams , we are clearly lacking. Maybe its just the weather but i can take no satisfaction from this facile win. Having travelled and paid my Money, i feel entitled to critisize. I am and always will be a supporter, but will never be of a fan of the brand of football we have been playing for the past two seasons, it sucks  

DownFanatic

To be honest, I thought that was a fantastic result today. Ross must of been confident of beating Tipperary from the off because the starting XV was a tad makeshift.
We have the nucleus of our team to come back at various stages in the next few months and we are definitely going to improve. Im a big believer in not peaking too early and if we can continue to eek out results whilst not being at full strength then I think we are definitely on to something good.
Of the team that played today Id guess that Brendan McVeigh, Luke Howard, Aidan Carr, Paul Murphy, Danny Hughes and Benny Coulter are the only ones that will probably get their place come Championship time.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Here Ned wise up will ya! what kind of supporter are u? look at the team we put out, young and experimental as someone said, a good few lds were making their debuts yesterday, and when you look at it, on paper, down hav a terrible away record this last few years in the league, like 2 wins in 10 or something like that. Down won the game, some good performance from maginn, garvey etc. 2 points on the board for us out of a possible 2. so a little optimism and faith wudnt go amiss, ya bluddy clown. as for that kerry remark, thats just ridiculous, i hardly even wana comment on it, first game of the league son, catch a grip.

eyeswideopen

Any word on how the U20 A & B finals went?

An Cloch Scoilte

Burren won the A final by 4 pts in An Ríocht. They were the better side, and only for a spirited comeback by our boys, they should have won by more. Burren were a massive outfit, very big in all sectors of the pitch.

Never heard how the B final went.

eyeswideopen

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on February 02, 2009, 02:34:56 PM
Burren won the A final by 4 pts in An Ríocht. They were the better side, and only for a spirited comeback by our boys, they should have won by more. Burren were a massive outfit, very big in all sectors of the pitch.

Thanks. Honestly thought by previous reports that Burren would have won by much more.
Any county U21 stars on show?

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: eyeswideopen on February 02, 2009, 03:17:44 PM

Thanks. Honestly thought by previous reports that Burren would have won by much more.

Burren should have won this one by a bagfull. St Marys put up a bit of a fight in the second quarter for maybe 8 minutes but were totally out of it until the dying minutes when they rallied with a deserved penalty and a couple of points but much too little, much too late. Burren were a big strong outfit and Murdock, McCartan & the McGoverns were awesome - Burren controlled midfield for all of the 2nd half while Murdock at full forward took some beautiful scores. The scoreline totally flattered St Marys who will be disappointed not to have given a better account of themselves on a day when Burren will have learnt a lesson about putting teams away. As for U.21s stars, the ones I mentioned from Burren certainly caught the eye and are already on panel. St Mary's are a relatively young team who will still be there next year but the only county U21 stars for this year were playing on the Burren team.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on February 02, 2009, 04:53:57 PM
Quote from: eyeswideopen on February 02, 2009, 03:17:44 PM

Burren should have won this one by a bagfull. St Marys put up a bit of a fight in the second quarter for maybe 8 minutes but were totally out of it until the dying minutes when they rallied with a deserved penalty and a couple of points but much too little, much too late. Burren were a big strong outfit and Murdock, McCartan & the McGoverns were awesome - Burren controlled midfield for all of the 2nd half while Murdock at full forward took some beautiful scores. The scoreline totally flattered St Marys who will be disappointed not to have given a better account of themselves on a day when Burren will have learnt a lesson about putting teams away. As for U.21s stars, the ones I mentioned from Burren certainly caught the eye and are already on panel. St Mary's are a relatively young team who will still be there next year but the only county U21 stars for this year were playing on the Burren team.

St. Marys only lost by 4 points so they deserve great credit. Eamon Toner was outplayed in midfield by The best player on the pitch, Miceal McCartan and he was ably assisted by Colm Kelly. is Toner not a county under 21? and Conal McGovern? they are there on their name and where they are from. fact. on yesterdays display they did not look county players. Plus Gerard McCartan is not on county under 21 panel. not stars in my eyes.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 01, 2009, 11:51:09 PM

Seriously lad. Take yourself back to the Hoganstand and bring your An Riocht tinted glasses with you.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion and should not be told where to go no matter how long they are a member. its time Down had their sights set higher than beating Tipperary. its nothing to boast and be so happy about. A good division one team in down would beat tipp. Down should be hammering such an outfit not struggling for long periods and conceeding 1-9. 

Our Nail Loney

You can only beat what is put in front of you.