Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on January 26, 2009, 06:55:40 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 26, 2009, 05:50:48 PM
Quote from: eyeswideopen on January 26, 2009, 04:58:44 PM
Does anyone know if there were any of the Down U21 management team in attendence at the EDu20 A final yesterday?
And if so was there any displays which would have caught their attention?

No the county under 21 management where yet again absent from what i could see and from other sources at the game. I was at eight games in the competition this year and they where not present. surely this is where potential players can be viewed in competitive circumstances. Daniel McCann and Colm Kelly impressed for St. Marys while Miceal , McCartan was brilliant although he is not availabe due to being in Liverpool studying. Barry Kane proved his worth again for Kilcoo. Minors Ciaran McClean, Miceal Devlin and Kieran Doyle also shined.

I think a reality check is needed here. This was an ED U.20 game with maybe 20 of the 30 players still able to play minor in 2009!. And ayway, why would the U.21 selectors be scouting round these games when the squad was selected 2 weeks ago? And how does EDG know whether any of the U.21 mangement team were there or not - did he/she see EVERYONE there? And in any case the U.21s need men amongst men, not men amongst boys!!

Well What is the purpose of having an under 20 competition then? the reason is to assist the under 21 management select their panel for the forthcoming season. The players listed are much better footballers and yeah MEN playing division one and senior championship football. Catch a grip. South Down champions Burren have 5 under 21s. Kilcoo and St Marys have one player between them. Joke. 

The Corporal

Down U-21 panel has already been picked and maybe thats why management werent at the ED final. Some of the players in that final attended trials for the U-21's and didnt get picked

eyeswideopen

Quote from: The Corporal on January 27, 2009, 08:03:43 AM
Down U-21 panel has already been picked and maybe thats why management weren't at the ED final. Some of the players in that final attended trials for the U-21's and didn't get picked

I would be interested to know where and when the U21 management team seen this young lad Somers play competitive football. ( trail matches are not and have never been competitive)
Surely the selection of the final panel should have been left until after the ED A & B finals and then after the All County Finals.
That is of course unless the management team had already made up their mind. I know lads who were asked along to the final trail from the teams in question but only received 10 mins football. It would have been in the better interest of all included for the the be at Saul on Sunday.
Or maybe thats too far to travel from South Down!!!

An Cloch Scoilte

I can't understand the point of having this league over the winter, when the management aren't going to bother turn up and see these young prospects in action....it's madness.
The U-21 management should at least acknowledge these young players and give them the decency and come and watch them play! It'll be interesting to see if any will be in attendance come Sunday.....even though they have the panel picked! ???

eyeswideopen

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on January 27, 2009, 01:48:49 PM

I can't understand the point of having this league over the winter, when the management aren't going to bother turn up and see these young prospects in action....it's madness.
The U-21 management should at least acknowledge these young players and give them the decency and come and watch them play! It'll be interesting to see if any will be in attendance come Sunday.....even though they have the panel picked! ???

I totally agree. And with Pete McGrath's fingers in so many other pies how can he see what some of these young lads have to offer. Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe he is promoting Sportstracker, Helping out Derek Davis at Glasdrumman, manager on Bryansford and TRYing to look after the Down U21 team. Surely there are other managers i the county with more time on heir hands to dedicate to the job. Would love to know what the south/ east ratio is on the final panal. Remembering that out of 28 on the Mckenna cup panal, 4 were from EAST down.

Maiden1

Quote from: eyeswideopen on January 27, 2009, 01:47:44 PM
Down U-21 panel has already been picked and maybe thats why management weren't at the ED final. Some of the players in that final attended trials for the U-21's and didn't get picked

I would be interested to know where and when the U21 management team seen this young lad Somers play competitive football. ( trail matches are not and have never been competitive)
Surely the selection of the final panel should have been left until after the ED A & B finals and then after the All County Finals.
That is of course unless the management team had already made up their mind. I know lads who were asked along to the final trail from the teams in question but only received 10 mins football. It would have been in the better interest of all included for the the be at Saul on Sunday.

Disgrace if the management where not at the ED U20 finals.  You can tell more about a player by how they play in a big match like this than in 10 trial matches.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

that picture is f**king hilarious..just wat kind of 'service' is walsh offering...haha

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Maiden1 on January 27, 2009, 04:01:53 PM
Quote from: eyeswideopen on January 27, 2009, 01:47:44 PM

Disgrace if the management where not at the ED U20 finals.  You can tell more about a player by how they play in a big match like this than in 10 trial matches

Totally agree. you couldnt have put it any better. I watched two trials and a few players not selected roasted a few selected which i couldnt understand. Some players are picked on name and where your from. typical Down football. I know from watchin under 20 games some players really proved themselves but where not judged on this. No way a player from London can be judged on a few trial matchs.

thewobbler

Fellas, Wee Pete has seen every club in Divisions I and II over the past few years with An Riocht. What he saw there would always be far more useful to him than what he sees in a trial between players who have never played together before, in crap winter conditions. You might ask what the point in a trial is? Well, a lot of the time the purpose is so that previously established players can play themselves out of contention rather than the other way around.

On top of that, he knows everyone in Down football, he knows whose opinions to trust and whose to ignore. Instead of getting your knickers in a twist over your clubmates, start naming players who should be on the panel (and not just to make up the numbers), and why they should be in the panel. I saw every player in Division I last year and can't think of any shocking ommissions, not even close.

One fella who should be in on it your man Johnston from Tullylish, but by and large it's the right squad.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: thewobbler on January 27, 2009, 08:43:42 PM
Fellas, Wee Pete has seen every club in Divisions I and II over the past few years with An Riocht. What he saw there would always be far more useful to him than what he sees in a trial between players who have never played together before, in crap winter conditions. You might ask what the point in a trial is? Well, a lot of the time the purpose is so that previously established players can play themselves out of contention rather than the other way around.

On top of that, he knows everyone in Down football, he knows whose opinions to trust and whose to ignore. Instead of getting your knickers in a twist over your clubmates, start naming players who should be on the panel (and not just to make up the numbers), and why they should be in the panel. I saw every player in Division I last year and can't think of any shocking ommissions, not even close.

One fella who should be in on it your man Johnston from Tullylish, but by and large it's the right squad.

You know very little then. Your club was relegated and got 3 players selected. Thats 3 under 21s, 2 seniors and a county minor and yous are relegated automatically. Something dosent tally up.Liam McKibben was on panel last year and starred from Castlewellan all year and was dropped. Joke. Look 90 per cent of squad is correct but there is about 8 players selected simply not as good as some not picked as proven in division one and in under 20 competition. and may i add, in the trials.

western exile

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on January 27, 2009, 01:48:49 PM

In fairness though, this competition was due to be finished in 2008 but for a stroke of typical gaa bureaucracy. (It was not clearly stated in the rules of the comp what would happen when teams finished on same points in their section, so a series of 3 way play-off were played just to decide the semi-finalists)

Dannymcfella

Quote from: thewobbler on January 27, 2009, 08:43:42 PM

Thnk Johnsey may be overage, I player who should definately be on it is Mal Magee from Clann a Banna, by all accounts he sknned his man in the trials but did not make it through. Not once this year did hs man get the better of him, without a shadow of doubt he should be not only be on the panel but a srious contender for a sarting place.

thewobbler

QuoteYou know very little then. Your club was relegated and got 3 players selected. Thats 3 under 21s, 2 seniors and a county minor and yous are relegated automatically. Something dosent tally up.Liam McKibben was on panel last year and starred from Castlewellan all year and was dropped. Joke. Look 90 per cent of squad is correct but there is about 8 players selected simply not as good as some not picked as proven in division one and in under 20 competition. and may i add, in the trials.

This is a perfect example of  the blinkered nature of most people who complaing about this squad. Any player who you come up with, such as Liam McKibbin, might be as good as some of the players on the panel, but wouldn't force their way into the team. So what difference would it make if they were on or not?

DownFanatic

Gareth Johnston is definitely overage. He's a great player though and not many full forwards in Division 3 will relish coming up against him.
DannyMc, I think it was your boy Magee who kept our own Paul McComiskey very quiet last year in the League in Dundrum. Seen him play there towards the end of the season and I have to agree he looks like a very handy prospect especially as a man marker.
In regards to the picking of the Down U-21 squad. The people that are giving out about the panel are those that generally have a gripe against management because a player or players from their club have not been selected.
Also, all this talk of a South Down bias is pure drivel. It is used every year as an excuse when there is a sizeable amount of South Down lads on the panel compared to East Down. At the end of the day, the U-21 management team are going to try to pick the best panel available to them. And judging by the squad they have selected I cant think of anyone of note that they have omitted bar Magee from Banbridge.

PS - I see Bosco's appeal to stay in Division 3 has been rejected and they will now definitely be in Division 4 next year.

off the laces

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 28, 2009, 09:27:59 AM
Gareth Johnston is definitely overage. He's a great player though and not many full forwards in Division 3 will relish coming up against him.
DannyMc, I think it was your boy Magee who kept our own Paul McComiskey very quiet last year in the League in Dundrum. Seen him play there towards the end of the season and I have to agree he looks like a very handy prospect especially as a man marker.
In regards to the picking of the Down U-21 squad. The people that are giving out about the panel are those that generally have a gripe against management because a player or players from their club have not been selected.
Also, all this talk of a South Down bias is pure drivel. It is used every year as an excuse when there is a sizeable amount of South Down lads on the panel compared to East Down. At the end of the day, the U-21 management team are going to try to pick the best panel available to them. And judging by the squad they have selected I cant think of anyone of note that they have omitted bar Magee from Banbridge.

PS - I see Bosco's appeal to stay in Division 3 has been rejected and they will now definitely be in Division 4 next year.
[/b]
What was there appeal anyway? was it to do with score difference?
Keeps 'er' straight