Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaUmpire

Any Word on when the Down Minors will start to get together?
I've been trying to think of a team and have a fair idea of all the defenders and attackers but any word on the possible goalkeepers?

mattockranger

Quote from: western exile on January 21, 2009, 09:42:56 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on January 21, 2009, 09:19:38 AM
Any reports from the down louth U21 game last night??
The final score?  Anyone know?

Louth under21's won the other night thanks for the help lads..... ::)
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Uladh

Quote from: BRIDGE LAD on January 21, 2009, 10:45:02 PM
Mickey Donnelly had little experience or reputation before he came to the bridge and won two down titles, but agree Ulster is the Bridges' aim. Believe it or not not many managers available at the moment. I'l tell ya something he is a brave man, coming into a job like this! But we'll give him time to see what he does.  ;) ;)
i think he'll be good for the job. Wait and see.

Based on what?

charlie stubbs

you lads any news on starting team 2night?  who would you like to see starting?

on the bridge management position, i would have thought they would have got some one more high profile, but we will have to wait and see.  he faces a big challenge to get the bridge back to the ulster final again, which will be their ultimate goal as they are becoming the dominant force in down football over last few years and will want make the step up. 

burren could pose a threat this year in down i feel, though thought that last year.  impressed me against kilcoo but lost the bottle against l'sland.barton staying a bt of continuity at the club, will know the players setup etc better this year

Square Ball

I see theres an advertisement in the Irish News from an ambitious South Down club seeking a Coaching Development Officer,
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

blowinharp:-)

Quote from: thewobbler on January 19, 2009, 09:40:15 PM
Some of the stories on here are absurd. Plainly absurd. Down GAA is like one giant Chinese whisper.

just take note tonight who is on the field and the bench 'thewobbler' i know my info is not a whisper. see you there  ;)

goldenyears

DEFENDING champions Down will be without

centre half-back Louis Sloan for tonight's Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup semi-final clash with Queen's at Pairc Esler, Newry.

The Attical man picked up a shoulder injury in training last weekend and Down manager Ross Carr is reluctant to risk him with the National Football League in the offing.

Sloan aside, Carr has a full squad to pick from as he prepares to take on the in-form students who finished top of Section C, chalking up wins against Antrim and Cavan and losing only narrowly to Armagh.

Carr makes no secret of the fact that the McKenna Cup is a competition Down want to win and, given the lean times the Mournemen have endured since 1994's All-Ireland triumph, that is understandable.

"It's a game we want to win," said the Clonduff man.

"Different counties are at different stages of preparation. Armagh and Tyrone know they are going to be playing football in August, we're not at that stage yet.

"We haven't had great success in Down over the last 15 years, so, when the chance of winning

something comes along, we want to give it our best shot."

Queen's success this year has come as no surprise to Carr whose side will be grateful for home advantage tonight.

"At the outset of the competition, I was confident that at least one university side would reach the semi-finals, purely because of their levels of fitness," he said.

"They're right in the middle of their season and the way they've performed this year has shown they're a match for county teams.

"I saw them against Cavan and I was very impressed and, by all accounts, they were very unlucky to lose to Armagh.

"We probably got the toughest semi-final opponent, but we're really just concerned about our own preparation."

One of the key factors in tonight's game will be how Down deal with Queen's marauding midfielder, Charlie Vernon, who showed superb form in the group stage.

However, Carr is confident that his midfield pairing of Joe Ireland and Jackie Lynch can handle Vernon and provide the platform for another final appearance for Down.

He has been encouraged by the never-say-die attitude his side showed on the way to topping Section C with wins over Tyrone and St Mary's sandwiching a loss to Monaghan.

"It's all about getting everybody game-time at this stage and getting them to play for 70 minutes," he said.

"There's no better example of that than against Monaghan (Down lost 1-12 to 1-9). We were

totally outplayed all over the pitch, but we hung in there and, in the last 10 minutes, we got a few scores that got us through to the semi-finals on scoring average.

"That pleased me more than beating Tyrone."

A win tonight will mean some welcome fixture congestion for the Down manager and his players – the final is just 48 hours later.

"We hope to be playing again on Saturday night, it's as simple as that," said Carr.

It may be "only" the McKenna Cup to some, but it will mean the world to Down if they can win it again.

passedit

Hot news on the belfast bangor train. Young somers joining breda.
Don't Panic

goldenyears

8-8 half time down missed 2 goal chances good open game, am told by mate at the game

western exile

Quote from: passedit on January 22, 2009, 06:48:39 PM
Since he in now in his first year at UUJ, he was always most likely to transfer to either Bredagh or Carryduff, just for ease of travel etc.
London's loss is Down's gain  8)

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: western exile on January 22, 2009, 09:05:20 PM
Since he in now in his first year at UUJ, he was always most likely to transfer to either Bredagh or Carryduff, just for ease of travel etc.

I suppose thats fair enough.  Is Bredagh or Carryduff closer to London, to lessen his journey times?   :P

passedit

Quote from: imagine on January 22, 2009, 07:59:20 PM
The few times I travelled on this I don't think Gaa talk would have been high on the agenda.
I'd be afraid to open my mouth never mind -it's like the a train journey to hell with a lot of low-lifes.
Who is this Somers?

Ye're not talkin to the right people imagine,regular hotbed of the gaa thon train, sure if ye're lucky ye may even get your ticket punched by st pauls' BIGGEST star.

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on January 22, 2009, 09:11:12 PM

I suppose thats fair enough.  Is Bredagh or Carryduff closer to London, to lessen his journey times?   :P

While technically breda is closer than Carryduff to London (via GBA) st pauls is closest but probably has enough itinerants in their team already.

Somers was an unused sub for tir connaill gaels v Corofin last sunday but free to transfer now they're out of the club championship.
Don't Panic

western exile

Quote from: passedit on January 22, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

While technically breda is closer than Carryduff to London (via GBA) st pauls is closest but probably has enough itinerants in their team already.

Somers was an unused sub for tir connaill gaels v Corofin last sunday but free to transfer now they're out of the club championship.
Interesting take on the "ease of travel" comment  ;D
Of course, what I meant was that, if a fella was transferring from Tir Connell Gaels in London because the was now living in Ireland and attending UUJ,  it would be easier for him to attend training etc. on a regular basis if he choose a club closer to Belfast than Newry....  So Bredagh would be the handiest for him

western exile

Quote from: mattockranger on January 22, 2009, 11:07:38 AM
Quote from: western exile on January 21, 2009, 09:42:56 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on January 21, 2009, 09:19:38 AM
Any reports from the down louth U21 game last night??
The final score?  Anyone know?

Louth under21's won the other night thanks for the help lads..... ::)

By much, mr?  Looks like not many Down posters at that game.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: western exile on January 22, 2009, 09:50:18 PM
Quote from: passedit on January 22, 2009, 09:31:02 PM

Interesting take on the "ease of travel" comment  ;D
Of course, what I meant was that, if a fella was transferring from Tir Connell Gaels in London because the was now living in Ireland and attending UUJ,  it would be easier for him to attend training etc. on a regular basis if he choose a club closer to Belfast than Newry....  So Bredagh would be the handiest for him

I know what you meant - just taking the piss.   ;D

Is he any good?  At the minute Down have an abundance of decent keepers but no one seems to stand out.  If I were to honest, with respect to Mickey Mc Veigh, I don't think anyone has come close to Neil Collins in recent times.