Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulaney

New Mayobridge manager is reported to be Paul Carroll.....Don't no a bit lot about the man but i know he took the bridge back in the mid nineties just before the likes of Benny and Mickey Walsh etc, came on the scene!! haven't heard any negative reports about the decision so im sure the bridge are happy he is the man for the job!! Amallon or any of the other bridge posters can u confirm this, as has been reported recently, i don't want to appear to be reporting hear'say

Off The Fence

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 20, 2009, 02:09:32 PM
Im intrigued about the situation of the young lad Aaron Somers who has been called up to the Down U-21 panel. He is listed as a Tir Chonnail Gaels (London) player. Now, Id think it would be highly unlikely that he is going to be flying back and forth from London for training and matches. Im guessing here that he is now residing back in Down? If so it will be interesting to see whether he takes up with a club here and transfers.

I know a club in the East Down area who have a proud record in welcoming in players from other clubs and young Somers could do a lot worse than offer his services in their direction  ;D

Is he not attending UUJ?
Quote from: Dulaney on January 20, 2009, 03:59:50 PM
New Mayobridge manager is reported to be Paul Carroll.....Don't no a bit lot about the man but i know he took the bridge back in the mid nineties just before the likes of Benny and Mickey Walsh etc, came on the scene!! haven't heard any negative reports about the decision so im sure the bridge are happy he is the man for the job!! Amallon or any of the other bridge posters can u confirm this, as has been reported recently, i don't want to appear to be reporting hear'say

Paul Carroll former Carrickcruppen/Whitecross manager?

Blue Island

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on January 20, 2009, 12:32:33 PM

these days there isnt much in the way of interesting or worthwhile discussion on this thread.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of discussion. It's a quite time of the year anyway on the football field, apart from the McKenna cup, which is now no more than glorified trials.

On the managers front, Gary Mason is not continuing his role as a assistant manager for Loughinisland and Paul Rice (aka Rhino) is Gerard's new assistant. Gary is a big loss, but Rhino is a great replacement.

Hey DownFanatic, holding onto to the bitterness will only eat away at your heart. 

NedFlanders

Yeah Gary and Gerard had sparked a somewhat unique bond in Luoghinisland which led to positive displays from the players, i just hope this doesn't lead to negatives responses from the players, but best of luck to Paul And Gary for the upcoming season !

Uladh

Quote from: Off The Fence on January 20, 2009, 04:09:56 PM
Is he not attending UUJ?

Surely not

DownFanatic

Quote from: Blue Island on January 20, 2009, 04:23:42 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on January 20, 2009, 12:32:33 PM

these days there isnt much in the way of interesting or worthwhile discussion on this thread.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of discussion. It's a quite time of the year anyway on the football field, apart from the McKenna cup, which is now no more than glorified trials.

On the managers front, Gary Mason is not continuing his role as a assistant manager for Loughinisland and Paul Rice (aka Rhino) is Gerard's new assistant. Gary is a big loss, but Rhino is a great replacement.

Hey DownFanatic, holding onto to the bitterness will only eat away at your heart.  

;)

Square Ball

Im intrigued about the situation of the young lad Aaron Somers who has been called up to the Down U-21 panel. He is listed as a Tir Chonnail Gaels (London) player. Now, Id think it would be highly unlikely that he is going to be flying back and forth from London for training and matches. Im guessing here that he is now residing back in Down? If so it will be interesting to see whether he takes up with a club here and transfers.

I know a club in the East Down area who have a proud record in welcoming in players from other clubs and young Somers could do a lot worse than offer his services in their direction  ;D

ayh, I was wondering that myself DF, where is the Da from?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

Quote from: Square Ball on January 20, 2009, 07:10:22 PM

ayh, I was wondering that myself DF, where is the Da from?

Somebody a few pages back said that your boy Somers da was from Drumaness. Logically, if he was back living in that area he would be playing for them but Drumaness is also in Loughinisland's catchment area so you wouldn't know who he would end up opting for  ::)

Open yer eyes Man

His da was Maurice Sommers that played for the Drumaness and Down minors and U.21's (I think).  He was a right big lad and a tough bit of stuff.  He must have left shortly after this and went to London.

Is the lad back home now?

mattockranger

Any reports from the down louth U21 game last night??
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: Uladh on January 20, 2009, 04:38:05 PM
Quote from: Off The Fence on January 20, 2009, 04:09:56 PM
Is he not attending UUJ?

Surely not

Well Uladh, what do you know about this man? He did manage the bridge in the mid nineties, done quite well with them too!

Open yer eyes Man

Bridge lad, surely the Mayobridge team of 12 years ago bears little or no resemblance to the team today.

I'm sure there was little pressure to do well then compared to the expectation of winning Ulster now, which is expected of all recent Mayobridge managers and lack of success at this level has cost many of them their jobs.

Mayobridge are an outstanding team in Down and there is little to touch them but I thought they would have gone for a manager with a successful track record and not someone who managed Whitecross to the Armagh Intermediate Championship in 2007!

western exile

Quote from: mattockranger on January 21, 2009, 09:19:38 AM
Any reports from the down louth U21 game last night??
The final score?  Anyone know?

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

i would also question this desicion of the new mayobridge manager. Surely they could have got a man with a better rep than than carroll? Especially when i heard some of the names that were in for that job.. Ill admit i dont know much about him, but on very first impressions, it seems its a huge step up.. From managing whitecross and apparently carrickcruppin (???), to manage the bridge...hard to know i suppose..makes it interesting for the rest of us though!

BRIDGE LAD

Mickey Donnelly had little experience or reputation before he came to the bridge and won two down titles, but agree Ulster is the Bridges' aim. Believe it or not not many managers available at the moment. I'l tell ya something he is a brave man, coming into a job like this! But we'll give him time to see what he does.  ;) ;)
i think he'll be good for the job. Wait and see.