Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Aidan Burns had his chance a couple of years ago, and showed some promise but faded fairly quickly. Michael Walsh is similar to Ronan Murtagh, in that he is a talented player who has not done himself justice in recent years.  

If everyone is fit and available, my idea of our six best forwards would be Benny Coulter, Paul McComiskey, Daniel Hughes, Ambrose Rogers, John Clarke and, if he continues to improve, Michael Magee. Then there's Ronan Sexton, Eoin McCartan, Kevin McKernan, Stephen Kearney, and, on McKenna Cup form, John Fegan and John Boyle.

Murtagh, if he can impose himself on games in a way which simply did not happen last summer, is well capable of making the second group but will need to push himself very hard to get into the first team. The idea that he might do so while playing at 60 per cent of his potential is ludicrous, but I wish him well.

Mid Down Gael

On song Ronan is worth his place on team. I agree with you saying Coulter, Walsh and Mccomiskey. I think Murtagh, Danny Hughes and John Clarke should make up the six forwards with ambrose partnering Dan in midfield. The ones Ross is working with at minute will never make it and there is numerous better players about not getting the chance. I think also that players such as Conor Laverty and Mark Poland would be useful squad players who could make an impact coming off the bench. Sexton, Kearney and fegan have never done it when it mattered and dont offer a scoring threat from play.

goldenyears

Mid down Gael, agree with you whole heartedly! What a front 6 plus midfield that would be! Definitely our best 8

No1

Lads, yiz are very hard on Rony Sexton.  OK he's not a prolific scorer but his workrate, attitude and ability to win dirty breaking ball should not be under estimated.  One of the most consistent performers on the senior team in the last 3 or 4 years.

Ronan Murtagh is the best club footballer I've been unfortunate enough to come up against, absolutely terrifying when in full flight.  However, (sorry Ballyholland lads) he has never produced it for his county, the potential is there no doubt but it's about time he delivered.  Perhaps the No.14 red and black jersey would see him fulfil that potential.

Mourne Rover

No1 is right to highlight Sexton's overall contribution, and he has scored a few goals as well. There will always be a doubt over a player of his size against physically bigger opponents, but he must be in the squad and could still make the team.

Size is also the problem for Conor Laverty and Mark Poland,who are proposed by Mid Down Gael. Laverty in particular has as much natural talent as any forward we have fielded in recent years, but he was given an extended run under Paddy O'Rourke and did not really make an impact. While Poland has not had as many chances, he is very light for championship football.

Some people seem to be assuming that Ambrose is going to come straight back into our midfield, but he is still recovering from major surgery. Joe Ireland may yet be an option there, and Ambrose would still win an enormous amount of possession at half forward.

We have to accept that, while most of our players seemed to simply freeze against Wexford at Croke Park, we struggled at a basic level to cope with the physical presence of Armagh at Clones. If we cannot win the ball, our forwards are never going to score. That's way guys like Michael Magee, who is raw but very strong, have to be looked at closely in the spring.

Until Peter Withnell came along in 90/91, we had brilliant forwards who underperformed in the championship. I'm not saying Magee is another Withnell, but there is only one way to find out.

Pangurban

Would include Sexton before Walsh. Not questioning Walshes ability, but dont think he has the appetite or mind-set for Co.football, reminds me of Shorty Treanor, brilliant for club but never clicked at Co,level

thewobbler

Fellas, the argument for replacing Murtagh because he hasn't done well in the Championship over the past few years can be levelled at every Down forward, even Coulter to a  certain extent.

Whoever it is that wants to make an argument about his inconsistency should also start counting the big games produced by Hughes, Sexton, Clarke and all the other likely replacements in recent years.

Mourne Rover - I find it hard to believe that you've elevated Miceal Magee to first-choice status because he's scored a few points in the McKenna Cup. I hope he turns into a quality player, I really do, but this is a ridiculously early judgement.

Based on pure talent,  I'd be heading to this sort of line-up for the summer:

1. McVeigh

2. Rafferty
3. Cole
4. Howard

5. Carr
6. Duffin
7. Murphy

8. Rogers
9. Ireland / Gordon

10. Clarke
11. Doyle
12. Fitzpatrick / McComiskey

13. Coulter
14. Gordon / McComiskey
15. Murtagh

The big call there is Joe Ireland. This fella had all the potential in the world 3 years ago, but has played off reputation since. He is now big enough and strong enough to complement his skill set. If the mind is right, we might actually be in a position to release Gordon into the full-forward line. That's a big if though.

downredblack

I'm hoping to see Liam Doyle at 6 come the Summer , thought he did very well there last year and who knows what would of happened had he stayed on against Armagh .
Michael Magee and Joe Ireland have a lot to do to break into the Championship team and more luck to them but I don't think we will see Dan playing full forward this yr or any other . He was brilliant last yr and the only real out an out midfielder we have at the moment .

blowinharp:-)

whats everyone views on clarke not being on the panel anymore...... ???

corn02

Quote from: downredblack on January 16, 2009, 10:37:32 AM
I'm hoping to see Liam Doyle at 6 come the Summer , thought he did very well there last year and who knows what would of happened had he stayed on against Armagh .

You still would have lost.

In saying that, he was superb at six in Healy last year, and is ideal for that position for me, a real driving force of the team.

The Corporal

Quote from: blowinharp:-) on January 16, 2009, 11:28:53 AM

Good boost for An Riocht

downredblack

Quote from: corn02 on January 16, 2009, 11:42:43 AM
Quote from: downredblack on January 16, 2009, 10:37:32 AM

You still would have lost.

In saying that, he was superb at six in Healy last year, and is ideal for that position for me, a real driving force of the team.

Knew you would say that  ;D

His free taking alone was badly missed that day but sure we will never know .

downredblack

Quote from: blowinharp:-) on January 16, 2009, 11:28:53 AM

Hopefully a temporary thing , like Murtagh too good a player not to be there .

mattockranger

What is the reason for both clarke and murtagh's omissions from the squad if ya don't mind me asking??
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

lfdown2

dont think its common knowledge...