Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 05, 2009, 05:25:39 PM
2009 Managers

Division 3

Bredagh - Paul Blaney

DF, hes the chairman, don't see him having the time to take the seniors as well.. ;)

Its Kevin, and he is part of a management team that still includes Jody Gormley, despite rumours of him moving on
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

gaahead2008

Quote from: BRIDGE LAD on January 05, 2009, 06:52:02 PM
To the GAEL!

Are you related to Mick Walsh, I'm a bridge man and dont think for a minute that he should be on the Down Panel! Just not good enough any more!

47   GAA Discussion / Local GAA Discussion / Re: Down Club Hurling & Football  on: April 10, 2008, 09:56:01 PM 
Quote from: Andym2008 on April 09, 2008, 02:01:20 PM
I dont no how people can say that Mayobridge are the best team in down, there team revolves around one man, Benny Coulter. Now dont get me wrong Benny is a world class full-foward but as a very proud An Riócht man i could name 4 or 5 players that would walk on that Mayobridge team (Brendan Mcveigh, Deaglan O'Rielly, Christopher Killen, Paddy Cole and Jhon Clarke).It really angers me when i hear people say that "Mayobridge are the best team in down and always will be.". I really think that you should watch out for An Riócht from this season onwards you will all be looking at us in a different light!Andrew Magorrian
Andym2008, are you being serious?? The only player that would walk on the bridge team is John Clarke. Declan OReilly? Yea good one, are you related by any chance. Are you forgetting ya's were in the second division just two years ago. As big tom says from 99 we have been dominant and will continue to be. 5 lads on u 21 squad, 3 on county minors, looking good for our future. Benny is only 25 coming 26, a good ten years in him yet. Mickey Walsh should be on county team, Sexton is, Cathal Magee in and around also, Pluggy turned offer down so bridge aint bad.  I think the bridge are actually getting stronger, the squad of minors coming through is unreal at the moment also. So watch this space. I predict a first round exit for yourselves!!             

bridgelad - you've changed your tune!! there's only three people in the county who think that....dj ross and now you

burren - Barton

gorm agus bui

Quote from: T O Hare on January 05, 2009, 06:44:55 PM
Quote from: guevara on January 05, 2009, 06:23:32 PM
Lads the bias on this board is embarassing at times!
Tommy fair enough Cathal caught 3 great balls against the smallest full bach Ive seen at this level in long time. But he is so slow its unreal. time & time again the ball was played in on floor he was out in front but beat to every ball. could you Imagine him up against the likes of Justin McMahon or Bellew??? He wouldnt count.
And your other clubmate Garvey had a complete stinker!

Danny Hughes was ok kicked some good points but didnt contribute to the game the way he should be. In my opinion he should be running games like these.
McKernan is a waste at full back too good of a footballer to have in there.

Leo you seem intent in pointing out John Boyles faults (which were very few yesterday) yet boys like Davey, Ireland Garvey (particularly theses two) & Kearney all had a lot worse games.
Open your eyes & stop letting the usual untouchables off while guys just on the panel who do well are crucified.

Also dont think D Rafferty was bad or good  he was ok got roasted a few times by McGourty (who's cracking wee player on form) but had two tremendous blocks.

Would you happen to be a Shamrocks man Leo???

Cathal had shit supply in the first half and i admit he is nt the finished article but there is so much talent there and he deserves another chance.. Garvey was quiet but i cant really remember his man roasting him.. it was his debut for gods sake!!! Full back is a key position for us and this has troubled us for years so Mckernan has to be tried there!!!!
I said John Boyle had a great second half, he looked unsure in defence!!!
I am just giving my opinion on how i seen the game!!! You cant start ridiculing players, it their first game and i bet Ross is taking the positives from yesterday!!!

Full back is a key position but if we get Turley back for latter end of NFL he showed enough in the qualifiers last year that he can compete with the best in there.
Have seen young Magee a few times for Ardglass and he definitely has a big future if he can keep his feet on the ground. Good pair of hands, good feet, pacey and strong as a bull.
Still have my doubts about Jackie in midfield, but with all the injured lads to come back, including the two Ballymartin boys, then the season ahead could be one to look forward to

goldenyears

I find some of the comments re Ronan Murtagh completely out of order lads, and yes I know I have a vested interest being a clubmate and friend of his.

The Irish News article was a poor piece of lazy journalism ie they never bothered to ring the lad to ask if he had been dumped from the panel. In actual fact, the agreement with Ross is that Ronan takes a break until the league starts; his work commitments plus non stop football over 10 years have taken their toll towards the tail end of last year, and a rest is what is needed. I commend Ross for allowing this to happen....

Ronan would walk onto ANY club team in Down and for that reason alone deserves to be in the county squad. His performances for Ballyholland over 10 years have been the main reason we have had a couple of shots at Div1 football, plus won 2 or 3 intermediate championships...he is the most feared forward in Div2 any year we are there, and more than holds his own in Div1 company with a team that always struggles with the step up.

I can personally vouch for his commitment to the Down cause over the years, and would argue against anyone about his spice boy reputation, which was probably misfounded on the basis of a fair few appearances in and around Newry in his younger years. I would have seen at first hand the number of times the lad has stayed off the beer, put in extra weight training or sessions on his own running, cycling or with a ball in the field. I have seen at first hand the amount of time he gives up for under age teams in the club, and also the amount of fund raising / sponsorship he has put into the club.

With all of this said and done, I cant stand some of the cowardly personal attacks meted out on here. I would love it if 1 or 2 of you had the balls to ring him or meet him face to face!

Setting the above aside, if we are to talk purely on performances and whether he should be included, (which is what this board IS about), I agree his county delivery still hasnt been consistent enough and not to the standard he sets in clubfootball. I have no doubt the recent chopping and changing of his position in the team doesnt help him at all. I would put blame for this on the management team - he is a full forward; he could play there for down no doubt, so give him a chance to play there on a consistent basis and you would see him deliver. I would argue that point all day long.

But 100% if you are arguing should he be in the panel pushing for a starting position, then IMHO he merits inclusion every single match, every year. There are no other great hopes around. If anyone thinks so, then name them. I also know that if Ronan felt he wasnt gonna have a chance to start in every NFL/Champ match, then he wouldnt be in the panel; he would walk away and concentrate on his club.

guevara

I agree with you Goldenyears .

Ok the fella enjoys a night out with his mates  who the f**k doesnt! Ive seen Benny out in far worse states than Ive ever seen Murtagh. Yes Benny delivers at County but if nights out effect Ronny then they must effect Benny too.

He is a fine footballer who on his day will destroy any defender I sometimes think he just doesnt have the confidence at county he shows at club.
I agree his best position is full forward  & he should definitely be tried there. He has pace , is strong & good on the ball but my feeling is that Ross wants Benny there if so fine by why not a front two of Murtagh & Coulter like he did in Portlaoise with Coulter & Clarke?

My opinion is too many boys have heard a story from a friend of a friend about Murtagh & that therefor they have come to the conclusion he's an arsehole!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

T O Hare

Quote from: goldenyears on January 05, 2009, 09:28:51 PM
I find some of the comments re Ronan Murtagh completely out of order lads, and yes I know I have a vested interest being a clubmate and friend of his.

The Irish News article was a poor piece of lazy journalism ie they never bothered to ring the lad to ask if he had been dumped from the panel. In actual fact, the agreement with Ross is that Ronan takes a break until the league starts; his work commitments plus non stop football over 10 years have taken their toll towards the tail end of last year, and a rest is what is needed. I commend Ross for allowing this to happen....

Ronan would walk onto ANY club team in Down and for that reason alone deserves to be in the county squad. His performances for Ballyholland over 10 years have been the main reason we have had a couple of shots at Div1 football, plus won 2 or 3 intermediate championships...he is the most feared forward in Div2 any year we are there, and more than holds his own in Div1 company with a team that always struggles with the step up.

I can personally vouch for his commitment to the Down cause over the years, and would argue against anyone about his spice boy reputation, which was probably misfounded on the basis of a fair few appearances in and around Newry in his younger years. I would have seen at first hand the number of times the lad has stayed off the beer, put in extra weight training or sessions on his own running, cycling or with a ball in the field. I have seen at first hand the amount of time he gives up for under age teams in the club, and also the amount of fund raising / sponsorship he has put into the club.

With all of this said and done, I cant stand some of the cowardly personal attacks meted out on here. I would love it if 1 or 2 of you had the balls to ring him or meet him face to face!

Setting the above aside, if we are to talk purely on performances and whether he should be included, (which is what this board IS about), I agree his county delivery still hasnt been consistent enough and not to the standard he sets in clubfootball. I have no doubt the recent chopping and changing of his position in the team doesnt help him at all. I would put blame for this on the management team - he is a full forward; he could play there for down no doubt, so give him a chance to play there on a consistent basis and you would see him deliver. I would argue that point all day long.

But 100% if you are arguing should he be in the panel pushing for a starting position, then IMHO he merits inclusion every single match, every year. There are no other great hopes around. If anyone thinks so, then name them. I also know that if Ronan felt he wasnt gonna have a chance to start in every NFL/Champ match, then he wouldnt be in the panel; he would walk away and concentrate on his club.

great post!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Pangurban

Good post Goldenyears, these attacks are completely unjustified, and it would be beyond reason to omit Murtagh from panel, if fit and available. He certainly has the ability, and when everything else falls into place, he could emerge as a real star.

Leo

Quote from: guevara on January 05, 2009, 06:23:32 PM
Lads the bias on this board is embarassing at times!
Tommy fair enough Cathal caught 3 great balls against the smallest full bach Ive seen at this level in long time. But he is so slow its unreal. time & time again the ball was played in on floor he was out in front but beat to every ball. could you Imagine him up against the likes of Justin McMahon or Bellew??? He wouldnt count.
And your other clubmate Garvey had a complete stinker!

Danny Hughes was ok kicked some good points but didnt contribute to the game the way he should be. In my opinion he should be running games like these.
McKernan is a waste at full back too good of a footballer to have in there.

Leo you seem intent in pointing out John Boyles faults (which were very few yesterday) yet boys like Davey, Ireland Garvey (particularly theses two) & Kearney all had a lot worse games.
Open your eyes & stop letting the usual untouchables off while guys just on the panel who do well are crucified.

Also dont think D Rafferty was bad or good  he was ok got roasted a few times by McGourty (who's cracking wee player on form) but had two tremendous blocks.

Would you happen to be a Shamrocks man Leo???

A Shamrocks man? Anything but  - and am happy to approach these assessments from a totally non-club position.
"Usual untoucables" - who are they. In my posts I have questions about Kearney and Sexton.
Davey was better than I expected not having seen him play anywhere but hearing complaints from others about his inclusion. Garvey has definite promise, maybe Ireland too, but not convincing on Sunday's display.
Cant agree with the post from elsewhere which seems to discount the importance of the full back role - this has been our achilles heel for years and as I've said before we need to mould someone into this role. Not sure about McKernana and think a big lad like Sloan should be tried there.
Fierce tame altogether

goldenyears

did hugh davey play corner back? i didnt make the game and am really surprised if I have picked this up right. The only time I hve seen him play was at number 11 and he struck me as the silky playmaker as opposed to a tigerish corner back which is what we badly need.......

Bitta-Banter

I think Sloan should be tried in middle of the field.He would have cleaned Ireland or Lynch who did start there,hes a great fielder of the ball and drives forward well.I dont think hes a centre half back or full back though.Try Garvey at full back and see how he goes.I hear John Clarke is off the panel also which seems a strange decision considering he started every game last year.

Leo

Clarke is a very versatile player and would definitely be in my panel.
Also, having seen davey in action I would agree he looks more like a half forward.
Fierce tame altogether

Joxer

Quote from: Downgael2008 on January 05, 2009, 07:19:16 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on January 05, 2009, 05:25:39 PM
2009 Managers

Division 1

Mayobridge -
Kilcoo -
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Castlewellan - Liam Hardy
Loughinisland - Gary Mason/Gerard Colgan
Burren -