Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Quote from: guevara on January 05, 2009, 03:04:54 PM
leo i dont see how you can say john boyle was poor and hugh davey was.john marked (10) in the first half and kept him scoreless,hugh marked (6) got the run around and 4points scored off him.in the second half they switched john boyle was at the centre of everything that was good about down and once more kept his man scoreless while poppin up with two himself.have to say hugh equiped himself alot better in the second half gettin that bit tighter and only letting his man score 1 point. on your point about john going across the pitch,yes he done it alot but he picked his passes and never gave the ball away unlike others,he must have set up 8 or 9 scores yesterday on his first game for down in two years i think thats pretty good considering regulars like kearney and sexton done little to influence the game?

Will disagree with you on Boyle and will be proved right as the season goes on.
Have to agree with you on Kearney & Sexton. I think Sexton should be given as long a rest as the great amount of time he has been given in the team over the years and Kearney looks to have all the attributes at times but never delivers.

Ross seems to be trying to mould a few big men into the team and that is to be welcomed.
Fierce tame altogether

T O Hare

I thought Ronan sexton was good yeasterday, he was always in the thick of it ! He had a few stray passes but i think everyone had, especailly in the first half!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

bridgegael

i thought rafferty and hughes were prob downs best players yesterday.  big cathal did well when the high ball came in to him,  could be useful in there.  next sunday will be a sterner test for the lads, although tyrone will only be home from there break i think.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DownFanatic

2009 Managers

Division 1

Mayobridge -
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Castlewellan - Liam Hardy
Loughinisland - Gary Mason/Gerard Colgan
Burren - Damien Barton
Warrenpoint -
Rostrevor - John Rafferty
Longstone - Frank Dawson
Liatroim - Jarlath Austin
Clonduff -
Saval - Declan Morgan

Division 2

An Riocht - Stephen Poacher
Glasdrumman - Hugh Trainor
Carryduff - PJ O'Hare
Annaclone - Steven McVeigh
Banbridge -
Shamrocks -
Ballymartin - Johnny McComiskey
Atticall -
Darragh Cross - Eamon Burns
Downpatrick - Kyran Smyth
Kilclief -
Ballyholland - Terry McGivern/Glen Elmore

Division 3

St Johns - Gerard McAnulty/Seamus Braniff/Donard King
Ardglass -
Bredagh - Kevin Blaney/Jody Gormley
Drumaness - Bill Geoghan
Tullylish - Tom Morgan
Aghaderg -
St Pauls - Frankie Wilson
Glenn -
Saul -
Teconnaught - Brendan Mason
Dundrum - Paul Shields
Drumgath - Mickey Linden

Division 4

Aughlisnafin - Philip McGrattan/Gerard McCartan
Bosco - Paddy McEvoy
Dromara -
Mitchels -
St Michaels -
Ballykinlar -
Bright -

lfdown2

5 Sams

Ballyholland - Terry McGivern/Glen Elmore
Ballymartin - Johnny McComiskey
The Aristocrat Years

T O Hare

Bitta-Banter

To add to your list:

Longstone-Frank Dawson
Bredagh-Kevin Blaney
St Pauls-Frankie Wilson

guevara

Lads the bias on this board is embarassing at times!
Tommy fair enough Cathal caught 3 great balls against the smallest full bach Ive seen at this level in long time. But he is so slow its unreal. time & time again the ball was played in on floor he was out in front but beat to every ball. could you Imagine him up against the likes of Justin McMahon or Bellew??? He wouldnt count.
And your other clubmate Garvey had a complete stinker!

Danny Hughes was ok kicked some good points but didnt contribute to the game the way he should be. In my opinion he should be running games like these.
McKernan is a waste at full back too good of a footballer to have in there.

Leo you seem intent in pointing out John Boyles faults (which were very few yesterday) yet boys like Davey, Ireland Garvey (particularly theses two) & Kearney all had a lot worse games.
Open your eyes & stop letting the usual untouchables off while guys just on the panel who do well are crucified.

Also dont think D Rafferty was bad or good  he was ok got roasted a few times by McGourty (who's cracking wee player on form) but had two tremendous blocks.

Would you happen to be a Shamrocks man Leo???
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

T O Hare

Quote from: guevara on January 05, 2009, 06:23:32 PM
Tommy fair enough Cathal caught 3 great balls against the smallest full bach Ive seen at this level in long time. But he is so slow its unreal. time & time again the ball was played in on floor he was out in front but beat to every ball. could you Imagine him up against the likes of Justin McMahon or Bellew??? He wouldnt count.

Danny Hughes was ok kicked some good points but didnt contribute to the game the way he should be. In my opinion he should be running games like these.

Leo you seem intent in pointing out John Boyles faults (which were very few yesterday) yet boys like Davey, Ireland Garvey (particularly theses two) & Kearney all had a lot worse games.
Open your eyes & stop letting the usual untouchables off while guys just on the panel who do well are crucified.

Also dont think D Rafferty was bad or good  he was ok got roasted a few times by McGourty (who's cracking wee player on form) but had two tremendous blocks.

Cathal had shit supply in the first half and i admit he is nt the finished article but there is so much talent there and he deserves another chance.. Garvey was quiet but i cant really remember his man roasting him.. it was his debut for gods sake!!! Full back is a key position for us and this has troubled us for years so Mckernan has to be tried there!!!!
I said John Boyle had a great second half, he looked unsure in defence!!!
I am just giving my opinion on how i seen the game!!! You cant start ridiculing players, it their first game and i bet Ross is taking the positives from yesterday!!!

BRIDGE LAD

To the GAEL!

Are you related to Mick Walsh, I'm a bridge man and dont think for a minute that he should be on the Down Panel! Just not good enough any more!

corn02

Quote from: T O Hare on January 05, 2009, 06:44:55 PM
Quote from: guevara on January 05, 2009, 06:23:32 PM

Cathal had shit supply in the first half and i admit he is nt the finished article but there is so much talent there and he deserves another chance.. Garvey was quiet but i cant really remember his man roasting him.. it was his debut for gods sake!!! Full back is a key position for us and this has troubled us for years so Mckernan has to be tried there!!!!
I am just giving my opinion on how i seen the game!!! You cant start ridiculing players, it their first game and i bet Ross is taking the positives from yesterday!!!

2-2 and you have to argue for him to get a second chance.  :D

guevara

QuoteCathal had shit supply in the first half and i admit he is nt the finished article but there is so much talent there and he deserves another chance.. Garvey was quiet but i cant really remember his man roasting him.. it was his debut for gods sake!!! Full back is a key position for us and this has troubled us for years so Mckernan has to be tried there!!!!

Im not arguing with you at all Tommy about Boyle that was for Leo Im just putting forward my opinion that Garvey in particular werent on their game!
Ive seen Garvey at Fullback & Midfield & was impressed so why is the lad throw in at half forward? why not try him at full back?
Im wasnt trying to just have go at your clubmates just pointing out there were al lot of guys who were a lot lot poorer that John Boyle!
So we can go  both go watch Emmerdale now lol!!!! ;D
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Downgael2008

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 05, 2009, 05:25:39 PM
2009 Managers

Division 1

Mayobridge -
Kilcoo -
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Castlewellan - Liam Hardy
Loughinisland - Gary Mason/Gerard Colgan
Burren -
Warrenpoint -