Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Anyone know the St. Mary's v Kilcoo u20 result from today?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

sabhallphadraig

Quote from: Square Ball on December 30, 2008, 07:58:36 PM

SB - the Down website (which I think is a major improvement btw) shows the result as St Marys 1-9 Kilcoo 1-12

gaahead2008

The word around Newry is that Rony is taking a break himself as unlike most others he has plenty of work on at the minute.

[/quote]

wobbler - heard that meself ! i think rony must've put that word out to save his blushes - lets face it - the panel released to papers isnt exactly the stongest or most talented bunch. its a bit embarassing that rony cant make the cut so to save his ego he,s telling that story. any other time and we would believe him but given the current climate......no chance-he got the boot!!

what are the spice boys going to do without Prince Spice.. :D :D

Back to business, St marys Sunday = shall we get the season of to a winning start?? ;)

Square Ball

Quote from: sabhallphadraig on December 30, 2008, 10:13:08 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on December 30, 2008, 07:58:36 PM

SB - the Down website (which I think is a major improvement btw) shows the result as St Marys 1-9 Kilcoo 1-12

Cheers

I looked there first before I posted on here and it wasn't there.

About the site, i will wait and see when the season gets up and running and see how it copes
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: gaahead2008 on December 30, 2008, 10:14:38 PM

The word around Newry is that Rony is taking a break himself as unlike most others he has plenty of work on at the minute.

wobbler - heard that meself ! i think rony must've put that word out to save his blushes - lets face it - the panel released to papers isnt exactly the stongest or most talented bunch. its a bit embarassing that rony cant make the cut so to save his ego he,s telling that story. any other time and we would believe him but given the current climate......no chance-he got the boot!!

Back to business, St marys Sunday = shall we get the season of to a winning start?? ;)
[/quote]

And what an ego it is to try and save!!!

How he has been a regular for Down over the last few years has amazed me, never mind managing to stay on in most games for Down last year when he was contributing next to nothing.

Its good to see other lads getting a chance as they can't be any worse than some of the 'Spice boys' alright.

the milkman

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on December 30, 2008, 10:56:07 PM
Quote from: gaahead2008 on December 30, 2008, 10:14:38 PM

And what an ego it is to try and save!!!

How he has been a regular for Down over the last few years has amazed me, never mind managing to stay on in most games for Down last year when he was contributing next to nothing.

Its good to see other lads getting a chance as they can't be any worse than some of the 'Spice boys' alright.

[/quote]

Im 99% sure that Ronan said after the Wexford game that he wouldnt be free to play next year! However thats fine because in far to many games he simple hasnt shown up!

Come the summer time I would like to Ross line up with Mc Comiskey playing just behind Eoin and Benny, think would interesting to see! Has anybody a clue about what sort of team will be playing on Sunday??

Open yer eyes Man

I was just looking at this post onn the Tyrone website about the future centre of excellence:

Quote from: redcard on January 02, 2009, 03:13:51 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a-90mDJKHlo

The future. love the people all sitting on the grass

taken from http://www.tyronegaa.ie/countyboard/news/story.jsp?newsid=730

Jez lads, we are light years behind Tyrone and its gonna get worse.  When is out county board gonna get the finger out a do something about this?  They wouldn't allow Club Down to continue because they couldn't control them.  Sure a few years back they would only allow the Down Supporters Club to continue as long as it was on their terms and they had representation on the committee itself.  We need men with the necessary expertise to raise funds and build for the future.  Most other countys are looking to the future and developing facilities for their teams to prepare properly.  Us - we were hoping to sell a field to Tesco for x million which would dig us out of the hole we are in and we change our jersey to look like the one we had when we were winning All Irelands so that we can start winning them again, just like that.   ???   

In terms of coaching, we have 3 or 4 second rate coaches to cover all the primary schools in the county and some of our development squads are a joke with kids not wanting to go to them.  Where is this all leading?  We are definately on the slippery slope and the hills are getting steeper.

Downgael2008

have to agree there with you to an extent. The standard of coaching in key areas is quite poor. The schools in down are as good as tyrone as regards success/development but development squads, minor, u21 teams poor. Have we even won a game at minor or u21 in last few years ???? ??? Who selects the coaches to these development teams????  ??? What criteria do you need to meet is there a standard???  ???

thewobbler

It looks as though perspective has been left in 2008 on this thread.

Down won an Ulster under-21 last year, and also in 2005. An All-Ireland minor championship was landed in 2005 and 1999.

With five valuable pieces of underage silverware in the past decade, statistically we're doing much better than average.

thegael

Now now what has been happening to ye all over the Christmas period - Ronan Murtagh has not got the time at the minute regarding work etc and given the current economic climate and forecasts he may make his hay as best he can.The guy has been a great servant to Down and hopefully before this season is out he will be back playing for Down - he is a terrific fella strong athletic and positive.
Talking about Eoin McCartan as i said before good to have him injury free but with a full panel to pick from he  is merely a squad player and useful the odd time to bring on.Eoin McCartan is no addition to Down other than as a half decent squad man!

the gael takes no prisoners!

the milkman

Quote from: thegael on January 02, 2009, 07:29:06 PM
Now now what has been happening to ye all over the Christmas period - Ronan Murtagh has not got the time at the minute regarding work etc and given the current economic climate and forecasts he may make his hay as best he can.The guy has been a great servant to Down and hopefully before this season is out he will be back playing for Down - he is a terrific fella strong athletic and positive.
Talking about Eoin McCartan as i said before good to have him injury free but with a full panel to pick from he  is merely a squad player and useful the odd time to bring on.Eoin McCartan is no addition to Down other than as a half decent squad man!

You are being extremely harsh on Eoin, if he stays injury free and gets a run of games to prove himself I fully expect him to start. And you can be guaranteed 100% effort also.

thegael

Now please wise up milkman , the young fella Eoin McCartan wouldn't survive on McMenamin , Gourley , or the Mc Mahons they would eat him up and spit him out.
He wouldn't survive out there in the red heat of inter- county championship and remember back to Ballybofey against Donegal in the championship where his lack of  workrate lead to Donegal's goal and subsequent defeat for Down.
The gael doesnt want to be harsh on the young fella but facts are facts as the gael says he would be useful around the panel for squad games etc or the odd run out.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: thegael on January 02, 2009, 10:24:28 PM
Now please wise up milkman , the young fella Eoin McCartan wouldn't survive on McMenamin , Gourley , or the Mc Mahons they would eat him up and spit him out.
He wouldn't survive out there in the red heat of inter- county championship and remember back to Ballybofey against Donegal in the championship where his lack of  workrate lead to Donegal's goal and subsequent defeat for Down.
The gael doesnt want to be harsh on the young fella but facts are facts as the gael says he would be useful around the panel for squad games etc or the odd run out.

What age was Eoin when this happened?? Give him a break, do you expect players just to instantly fit into county teams. Get a grip.

The GAA

ah, ronan murtagh. it never ceses to amaze me how many guys with wing mirrors make it on lesser county teams.

Mourne Rover

It's a pity to see childish abuse of county players, as there is no doubt about Murtagh's ball-winning ability. It's his use of possession, and in particular his scoring rate, which has been his problem in recent seasons. He did get 1-5 against Offaly, but in all fairness they were woeful on the day and our total of 5-19 says it all. Murtagh started every one of our 08 championship matches, and, apart from Tullamore, managed two points overall in the other five games. On that basis, we are obliged to look elsewhere for at least the time being. If he comes back, good luck to him.

The Gael is entirely wrong to claim that McCartan's poor display against Donegal in 2006 was due to work rate. It was a lack of concentration which allowed him to lose track of Dunnion on two crucial occasions and effectively cost us the game. McCartan works very hard across the field, and is worth another look. Along the way, he will have to prove that he provides more of a scoring threat than Murtagh.