Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: east down gael on November 25, 2008, 06:23:56 PM
i agree dundrumite.this fella isnt the most subtle,but he does generate a bit of craic.

Im glad to see that a hearty gale (Gael) has been blowing through the board over the past 24 hours! Noone else has voiced an opinion on my post last week reference funding for the intercounty players grant scheme - do our nothern players also benefit from this and is all the funding coming from the public purse of the Dail. Maybe one for or own Assembly now that they're back to work!
Any opinion TheGael?

east down gael

i'm not the gael,merely a gael,but i'll answer your question.yes,inter-county players in the north,both hurling and football pick up a cheque based on how far they progress in their respective championship.all these grants are funded by the irish sports council which in turn is funded by dail eireann and dail eireann alone.

DaddyLongLegs

east down gael, thanks for your clarification. Im not sure what to think of that. I assume that includes London Irish. And possibly in the future other non native soil teams. If I was a member of a cash strapped sports club in the South (say a soccer club), I might be a bit p****d off that a team in say London was getting support from my local sports council when there wasnt enough to support my irish club!! Its maybe a big indicator of the support of the Irish govt for the GAA (which should now be expected given the income tax that is collected from the pay of all the officials in HQ)

east down gael

by london irish i presume you mean the london county team which takes part in the connaught and ulster championships.i am not too sure if they,or the new york team,recieve the grant.at a guess i would say they do not.the inter county players recieve this grant due to the contribution they make to the promotion of culture in this country through the playing of our indigenous games.this is not my opinion or me saying i agree with the grants but simply the argument put forward for there coming into being in the first place.inter county players from all thirty two counties all make this contribution therefore they all recieve the grant,irrespective of what political jurisdiction they fall under(north or south).
   i see what you mean about the soccer club,but bear in mind that this grant is awarded to the players,not to the team,and it is for their contribution to a championship which takes place in Ireland.
  i just would like to reitterate that none of the above are my personal opinions,they are solely the reasons i understand the grants came into being.

east down gael

it is yeah,sorry.i was just answering the question daddylonglegs asked,but i do see what you mean.

Bitta-Banter

Quote from: wobbller on November 25, 2008, 06:21:43 PM
What is the crack with Darragh and their manager? Fisty cuffs or what?

no truth whatsoever,sure look at who the source of this story was.

thegael

bitta banter  the gael doesnt lie.

after the intermediate final the manager was hit ,  do not try and brush this under the carpet, it happened it is a disgrace .

your would be cleverness by trying to deflect does not sit well with the gael.

it did happen! ur club should be ashamed of themselves a good guy who did his best for you taking you to a final , getting your maximum points ever in div 2 .

as a club i would be an admirer a progressive club, good facilities and a lot more.

but your club members know about this incident and are choosing to brush it under the carpet .

go and do your own investigations about that night in question and you will find the gael has it spot on. the manager was cowardly slapped.

the gael takes no prisoners !

thewobbler

There used to be a Down discussion thread over here.

bredaghgael86

Quote from: johnneycool on November 25, 2008, 03:37:27 PM
Quote from: bredaghgael86 on November 25, 2008, 02:39:33 PM
Was the use of the word 'boned' a typo? If it wasnt what does it mean? ive said it before, but its all very well saying pb shouldnt be in charge anymore or the like, but people cant stand up and say 'we dont want him' without having a suitable replacement.  I dont know of anyone who could do it, maybe you'd have a go yourself jonnycool?

no boned wasn't a typo, it normally means to confront or the likes, you should maybe try 'boning' Danny hogg and see how you get on!!

TBH. I don't know an awful lot about what happens in the junior set up but from what I hear from people directly involved (not PB might i add) and it seems shambolic, i.e. no changing facilities at some of the places they train, physio's bench outside even in the dark and sometimes drizzle and the likes.
i don't think PB could be blamed for the likes of that, maybe he could be seen to be complicit by accepting such crap, but what I don't understand is that our reserves encounter a lot of good hurlers from the 'mainland' (f**k i hate that term!) who for whatever reason don't participate at junior level. Maybe they can't commit but there seems to be a fair smattering of disaffected players not in Paddy's clique. Our reserves are quite poor at the minute and they'd give our seniors far better games than this years club semi-final, so something is wrong!
You've met the hogg havnt you.  Do you think im mental?  'Boning' the hogg is the last thing i want to do, in both senses of the word.  I was about the panel for a bit the past couple of years and it is true, there are some fairly large and obvious 'cliques' that are hard to get into.  Your man McIntyre would strugle to get into them.  Its seriously off-putting when your playing against some of these players on a weekly, or rather monthly basis and doing well against them, then when you go to the juniors the people you have been doing better than are getting ahead and your not even getting a look in.  My main critisism is that i didnt see PB at one of our games last year, although i wasnt up at the galget match, but still, how is he meant to know how good people are if he a) isnt giving them a chance and 2) dsnt see them playing for their club.  Shit, now i sound bitter, and im really not.  I just think the juniors have a lot of potential and could do well given the right support and guidance.

real food, real people

Things are bleak for all things GAA in Down when 'the gael' is the main contributor on the discusion board

Maiden1

Quote from: thegael on November 25, 2008, 11:32:19 PM
bitta banter  the gael doesnt lie.

after the intermediate final the manager was hit ,  do not try and brush this under the carpet, it happened it is a disgrace .

your would be cleverness by trying to deflect does not sit well with the gael.

it did happen! ur club should be ashamed of themselves a good guy who did his best for you taking you to a final , getting your maximum points ever in div 2 .

as a club i would be an admirer a progressive club, good facilities and a lot more.

but your club members know about this incident and are choosing to brush it under the carpet .

go and do your own investigations about that night in question and you will find the gael has it spot on. the manager was cowardly slapped.

the gael takes no prisoners !

Looking at the Darragh forum there is no mention of any row.  Sounds like 'the gael' is talking sh1te.

http://darraghcrossgac.myfastforum.org/Senior_Football_Manager_about62.html
There are no proofs, only opinions.

lfdown2

Quote from: thewobbler on November 26, 2008, 09:07:58 AM
There used to be a Down discussion thread over here.

i hear there is more sense being talked on the hogan stand!

Bitta-Banter

Quote from: wobbller on November 25, 2008, 11:24:55 PM
Quote from: Bitta-Banter on November 25, 2008, 10:47:13 PM
Quote from: wobbller on November 25, 2008, 06:21:43 PM
What is the crack with Darragh and their manager? Fisty cuffs or what?

no truth whatsoever,sure look at who the source of this story was.

No smoke without fire.

yeah people said no smoke without fire about a well ducumented incident where a Warrenpoint player was supposed to have been jumped by several Clan na Banna men at a nightclub,but that turned out to be a load of balls too.

Any word on clubs gettin new managers or clubs on the lookout??

The Corporal

any word on who the celebrity is for the new series of celebrity banisiteor for our county?

Whacker

Quote from: The Corporal on November 26, 2008, 12:17:36 PM
any word on who the celebrity is for the new series of celebrity banisiteor for our county?

Derek Davis