Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corporal

off the laces

Keeps 'er' straight

goldenyears

Kilcoo into final against Mayobridge Down SFL semi-final: Kilcoo 1-7 Rostrevor 0-7
By Matt Fitzpatrick
18/11/2008

A goal by minor county star Paul Devlin five minutes from time was the score which gave

Kilcoo victory over Rostrevor in last night's Down SFL Division One semi-final in Pairc Esler, Newry.

In a tough encounter, both sides fought hard throughout, with scores at a minimum, especially in the first-half.

The Kilcoo defence, brilliantly marshalled by Conor Morgan, Gerard McEvoy and Aidan Brannigan,

withstood strong Rostrevor pressure, in which Dermot Mackin, Brian Cole and Collie Clerkin were the most prominent.

Paul Greenan and Niall Morgan had a great midfield battle with Niall Farrell and Colm Murney, who was the outstanding player on view.

The Kilcoo attack, led by Paul Devlin and Gary McEvoy, worked hard throughout and took some good scores.

The Rostrevor defence, especially the half-back line of Martin Cole, Eamon McConville and Kevin

McGrath stood out.

Kilcoo will now meet county champions Mayobridge in the final at Pairc Esler, Newry on Friday night at 8pm.

match stats

Kilcoo: J Kane; N Brannigan, A Brannigan,

P Devlin; B O'Hanlon, C Morgan, Gerard McEvoy; P Greenan, N Morgan; P Devlin (1-4), D Grant, B Kane; C Laverty, D McEvoy, Gary McEvoy (0-1). Subs: A Devlin (0-1) for

B Kane, M McClean for D McEvoy, A McEvoy (0-1) for D Grant, N McEvoy for B O'Hanlon

Rostrevor: C McCartan; G Magee, P Magee,

J Farrell; M Cole, E McConville, K McGrath;

N Farrell, C Murney; C Mackin, B Cole, J Fagan; D Mackin (0-2), C Daly (0-2), C Clerkin (0-3). Subs: A Mackin for J Fagan, A Donnan for D Mackin

Referee: N Cousin (Ballymartin)

goldenyears

SOUTH DOWN

Saturday, November 22

South Down U20 Championship (2.30pm): Ballyholland v Saval; Mayobridge v Rostrevor

Sunday, November 23

U11 League: Clonduff v Shamrocks

(L Smyth); Burren v An Riocht

(PJ Cunningham); Mayobridge

v Ballyholland (D Kearns); Ballymartin

v Glenn (P McClorey); South Down U20 Championship (12.30pm): Clonduff v An Riocht; Ballymartin

v Burren; Shamrocks v Bosco; Longstone v Warrenpoint; Reserve League final (12.30pm): Rostrevor v Ballyholland (B Andrews)

sabhallphadraig

Friday 21st Nov

Pairc Esler(6 30) - Div 2 Promotion Playoff
Annaclone v Warrenpoint(L Smyth)

Pairc Esler(8 00) - Div 1 League Final
Mayobridge v Kilcoo (G Tumelty)

Sunday 23rd Nov
An Riocht (2 00) - Div 2 Promotion Playoff
Bryansford v Clann na Banna(E O Hare)

Super Dupe

Good game of football last night between ourselves and Kilcoo.

It could have went either way but fair play to Kilcoo on coming back in those last 10 minutes to win it.  I thought we had it but the game is never over.

Scores were at a minimum but that was due to the intense tackling on both sides.  It was almost like championship football at times.

I think Kilcoo will have to change their approach however if they are to beat the Bridge.  They play with too many men in defence a lot of the time and it leaves their attack totally isolated.   They were much better last night when we got in front and they had to come out and go forward.

Anyway good luck to both teams in the final on Friday.  They both fully deserve to be there.

Dulaney

Quote from: mournerambler on November 14, 2008, 04:21:03 PM
Quote from: Dulaney on November 14, 2008, 11:11:51 AM
If thats the case with the Rostrevor v Kilcoo game is there any chance of the Mayobridge v Castlewellan game being brought forward a bit? 7.30 is a late kick off on a Saturday evening for spectators who might also have plans, surely this game could be brought forward to 7pm or even 6.45 now to let people away that wee bit sooner and not 9 o'clock at night.
It's known as a Throw-in in GAA lingo ;)
Cheers Mournerambler for that spot, i dunno What i was thinking!! ;) ;D

Any word on the state of the Marshes for the game on Monday nite, i heard reports it was very heavy with the ball quite often getting stuck in the muck and the pitch cutting up easily?? If this is the case i dread to think wat it will be like on Friday for the league final after the 2nd division promotion play-off game on just before...

T O Hare

Quote from: Dulaney on November 19, 2008, 01:05:05 PM
If thats the case with the Rostrevor v Kilcoo game is there any chance of the Mayobridge v Castlewellan game being brought forward a bit? 7.30 is a late kick off on a Saturday evening for spectators who might also have plans, surely this game could be brought forward to 7pm or even 6.45 now to let people away that wee bit sooner and not 9 o'clock at night.

Any word on the state of the Marshes for the game on Monday nite, i heard reports it was very heavy with the ball quite often getting stuck in the muck and the pitch cutting up easily?? If this is the case i dread to think wat it will be like on Friday for the league final after the 2nd division promotion play-off game on just before...

It was in great nick on saturday!!! the college v Abbey Mc Rory game is meant to be there on saturday as well!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

T O Hare

Fao Lecale or any Liatroim poster- who wrote the poem outside the away dressing rooms in your clubhouse?

Super Dupe

[/quote]

It was in great nick on saturday!!! the college v Abbey Mc Rory game is meant to be there on saturday as well!!!!
[/quote]

It was very good indeed on Monday night.  Cant see it being a problem for the final on Friday.

Open yer eyes Man

The worst place on the field has been along the sideline where the managers roam.  They talked about putting astroturf along the sidelines last year.  I wonder will they go through with it?

Have there been no night games in Newcastle recently?  Anyone know what it is like?

lfdown2

Quote from: T O Hare on November 19, 2008, 01:57:52 PM
Fao Lecale or any Liatroim poster- who wrote the poem outside the away dressing rooms in your clubhouse?

must have walked past it 100 times and never noticed it, always in 'the zone' i suppose, what is it?

corn02

Quote from: T O Hare on November 19, 2008, 01:40:09 PM

Do you have a time for that one Tom?

T O Hare

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 19, 2008, 02:42:50 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on November 19, 2008, 01:57:52 PM

must have walked past it 100 times and never noticed it, always in 'the zone' i suppose, what is it?

Its a poem about doing your bit for the club!!!

T O Hare

Quote from: corn02 on November 19, 2008, 02:48:03 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on November 19, 2008, 01:40:09 PM

Do you have a time for that one Tom?

It all depends on Friday night/ Hopefully Saturday morning ;D :D