Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto-Gael

Ardglass 3-7 Bredagh 0-8 in Saul today

Word from the other game was that Carryduff snatched a draw right at the end to send both they and Glasdrumman up (Carryduff 1.05 Glassdrumman 1.05) ......

DownFanatic

Bryansford beat Annaclone 0-09 to 0-04 in Division 2 Promotion Playoff today in Clonduff.

That leaves the Ford and Warrenpoint on 2 points and the Clone and Banbridge on 0 after the first round of games.

The Ford also drew with St Johns in the East Down RFL Final.

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 09, 2008, 03:58:20 PM
Downpatrick beat Tullylish 0-09 to 0-08 today to condemn Tullylish to Division 3 next year with Dundrum.
This just once more highlights the inadequacies in our League structure. The two teams that went up from Division 3 last year are now back down again and the two teams that went down from Division 2 last year are very likely to go back up to it from Division 3 this year.

DownFanatic, Im nor sure I follow your logic here. Why does the fact that the two who went up up last year are coming down again and the two who came down are going back up highlight a weakness in the league structures? Some would see this as a strength, especially the ones going up again.

Bitta-Banter

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 09, 2008, 03:58:20 PM
Downpatrick beat Tullylish 0-09 to 0-08 today to condemn Tullylish to Division 3 next year with Dundrum.
This just once more highlights the inadequacies in our League structure. The two teams that went up from Division 3 last year are now back down again and the two teams that went down from Division 2 last year are very likely to go back up to it from Division 3 this year.

I think this situation could arise no matter what the structures are,the teams coming down are generally as strong as the best of the rest,if the rest cant beat them(teams that came down) then they dont deserve to go up.
On the top 4,bottom 4 issue,its very difficult for a team that gets promoted to avoid finishing in the bottom four the next year.Saval finished on 18 and still finished bottom four,as did Tullylish

Forgot me Boots

Quote from: Statto-Gael on November 09, 2008, 04:22:05 PM

Word from the other game was that Carryduff snatched a draw right at the end to send both they and Glasdrumman up (Carryduff 1.05 Glassdrumman 1.05) ......

so the Bredagh auld lads get beat again, Ah Dodgy

maldini

good to c Ardglass have another year in division 3!!

i hear from sources that there was trouble at the u16 hurling on sunday, portaferry v ballycran and this continued on the ferry home?

any truth??

umpire

Re bottom four in play off.

Instead of reaching  30% of top team, why not have it fixed at 10 points. OUr league is  a great set up, but being badly exposed this year. with 10 points fixed, I think this problem would be solved for future.

Bitta-Banter

Any1 know how the Div3 relegation play-off between Teconaught and st michaels went this weekend?

western exile

Quote from: umpire on November 09, 2008, 09:31:26 PM

Instead of reaching  30% of top team, why not have it fixed at 10 points. OUr league is  a great set up, but being badly exposed this year. with 10 points fixed, I think this problem would be solved for future.

Or a combination of both, with the target  being the lowest between 30% of the top teams points or 10 points.  This would allow for years when the teams are more evenly matched and the top team gets less than 33 points.

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: imagine on November 09, 2008, 10:13:28 PM
Quote from: Forgot me Boots on November 09, 2008, 06:47:45 PM
Quote from: Statto-Gael on November 09, 2008, 04:22:05 PM

so the Bredagh auld lads get beat again, Ah Dodgy

Dodgy,so the old fellas were playing today again? So your mate/son/self didn't get a run out today either then.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz This is getting very boring. Off to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Statto-Gael

Quote from: Bitta-Banter on November 09, 2008, 09:44:01 PM
Any1 know how the Div3 relegation play-off between Teconaught and st michaels went this weekend?

No-one else has confirmed this but again I'd heard (from a Bosco source) that St Michaels had informed the CB that they weren't going to field today so with Teconnaught getting the points, it seems it now comes down to a head to head between Bosco and Teconnaught with the loser heading for Div 4 along with St Michaels and Mitchels.

Bacon

Quote from: maldini on November 09, 2008, 08:05:02 PM
good to c Ardglass have another year in division 3!!

i hear from sources that there was trouble at the u16 hurling on sunday, portaferry v ballycran and this continued on the ferry home?

any truth??

4 sent off after an ugly brawl in the first half. Another 2 should have went later on. The awful conditions didn't help those trying to play hurley.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Statto-Gael

Quote from: Statto-Gael on November 09, 2008, 11:15:04 PM
Quote from: Bitta-Banter on November 09, 2008, 09:44:01 PM

No-one else has confirmed this but again I'd heard (from a Bosco source) that St Michaels had informed the CB that they weren't going to field today so with Teconnaught getting the points, it seems it now comes down to a head to head between Bosco and Teconnaught with the loser heading for Div 4 along with St Michaels and Mitchels.

I see the IN has the playoff result in as St Michaels 1-4 Teconnaught 1-11 so seemingly it was played - same end result.  Apols to St Michaels for the misinfo.  On that note, I should also give credit to Bredagh for the efforts they put in against Ardglass yesterday even though they had nothing to gain but pride. Apart from 2 quick-fire goals in the 1st half and 1 against the run of play in the second, Bredagh fought for every ball with what appeared a much changed team (no Jody that I could see).

Maiden1

Quote from: western exile on November 09, 2008, 09:50:28 PM
Quote from: umpire on November 09, 2008, 09:31:26 PM

Or a combination of both, with the target  being the lowest between 30% of the top teams points or 10 points.  This would allow for years when the teams are more evenly matched and the top team gets less than 33 points.

Has to be a set value otherwise there will always be dodgy dealing.  Should never be a situation where a team will benefit from losing a match.  An Riocht knew they where relegated from the minute they lost to Castlewellan.  Happens every year that funny things happen in the last couple of games to affect who is or isn't in the playoffs.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

centre 3/4s

Well guys only back from 2 weeks in spain great to get back into the way of things re: footie.
Was on my way to Glasdrumman match in Newry only to hear it was changed to saval so instead i went out to Hilltown to watch ford and annaclone have to say i was impressed with the ford there handling in particular on such a muddy playing field was the difference in the two teams. Was real hard football something that we are not used to in this county and the ref let play go which again was a rarity. Both teams have to be commened for there efforts and to be fair the best team on the day won. Was very impressed with the fords big half forward huge man and could play a bit too surely one for ross to look at!