Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

off the laces

Quote from: passedit on October 28, 2008, 01:40:45 PM
QuoteLook back a few pages we turned up for the refixtured game to find no st pauls or ref

Like i said, a flanker, ye were told there was no game and tried to pull a fast one having already turned down two dates for the fixture including one when you managed to field a reserve side at the same venue.

But like I said, now that championship status depends on the outcome, this should be settled on the pitch. Any deal/arrangement/nod or wink which settles this anywhere else will reflect very poorly on both clubs imo
Your opinion and your entitled to it
Keeps 'er' straight

Bitta-Banter

Hows Sauls prospects looking for next year?chances are youll be playin either Kilclief or Downpatrick again,more than likely be Downpatrick by the looks of things.

off the laces

would like to say we are going great, but with this credit crunch who knows where any off us will be next year, boys will likely have to travel to get work.
Keeps 'er' straight

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Bitta-Banter on October 28, 2008, 02:05:43 PM
Hows Sauls prospects looking for next year?chances are youll be playin either Kilclief or Downpatrick again,more than likely be Downpatrick by the looks of things.
Must agree. Heard they only had 7 at training last night. They seem to have given up as lost cause

No1

Don't think so lads. 

Tullylish have already beaten us well twice this year. 

Downpatrick are the county town with the biggest pick outside of Newry, a superstar county player, best facilities in the county, fantastic underage set up, superb manager and they can afford to fly boys home from anywhere in the world for games.  No way could they end up in Div 3.

I'd say we are well f*cked.............

off the laces

plus you boys have drinking to do ::) ;D
Keeps 'er' straight

western exile

Quote from: Johnnie99 on October 27, 2008, 07:35:27 PM
Quote from: eyeswideopen on October 27, 2008, 06:49:12 PM
Quote from: western exile on October 27, 2008, 01:11:44 AM
Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on October 26, 2008, 09:07:38 PM
Saw a bit on Hogan Stand that St Johns would be staying in Div 4 due to failure to field twice this season. Would seem a bit harsh but is that the rule? If so maybe only two would come down from Div 3, not three as planned.
If that is true, and I dont know if it is  ??? , it should be Dromara that gets promoted instead, as they were the ones that suffered from St. Johns failing to field against Aghaderg.

I did have a look at hoganstand to see what the story was about St Johns failing to field twice this season. It does appear they may have a case to answer. There are no play-off game in division 4 and i do understand the county board wanting to get on with play-off games in the other divisions and thus not bothering with meaningless end of season games. But St Johns games with Aghaderg and The Finn were both scheduled games where they failed to field.

Think your tyring to make somthing out of nothing here just because dromara didnt get promoted.  there is more to this story, st johns did appear for game with the finn as originally planned a month or so earlier, as did the ref, but finn said pitch had been closed by council.  ref carried out a pitch inspection on the same night, deemed it playable, then left as the finn were not present, they were on their golf day.  st johns did not fail to appear for next game, they appealed to the co board that they had already appeared for this game and should get the points.  think you are trying to stir things here from a dromara perspective with the hope of dromara getting promoted at the expense of st johns?  dromara have only themselves to blame, losing to a better aghaderg team late in the season.
I also think you are mistaken 99  :)
No one is trying to stir at all. The facts speak for themselves. Dromara achieved more game points on the pitch throughout the season than Aghaderg did. Aghaderg pipped them to the promotion spot by 1 point because St. Johns gave them 2 free points by not bothering to field.  Their non fielding against The Finn may not have had an impact on any league position, but their failure to field against Aghaderg decided who got promoted.

I don't know if there is any precedent for sanctions in a case like this. But St. Johns certainly have a case to answer.  The leagues are meant to be a fair competition. We cannot have one club dictating who gets promoted with them  ;D

Dannymcfella

Quote from: amallon on October 27, 2008, 06:46:47 PM
I can see the headlines already.  The Bridge a Bridge to far for Banbridge!

What about 'The bridge a bridge too far for Mayobridge' ;D

Blue Island

Quote from: No1 on October 28, 2008, 04:30:35 PM
  Don't think so lads. 

Tullylish have already beaten us well twice this year. 

Downpatrick are the county town with the biggest pick outside of Newry, a superstar county player, best facilities in the county, fantastic underage set up, superb manager and they can afford to fly boys home from anywhere in the world for games.  No way could they end up in Div 3.

I'd say we are well f*cked.............

Bet that is the official line you are all coming out with. Would not believe it for a moment. In the past, teams that have been resigned to the relegation play offs for a while often do better than those that fall into the relegation zone late in the season. The latter struggle to get the motivation needed to extricate themselves from the mire. Prime example is Bryansford last year.

As for Downpatrick, they won't fancy this at all. Hard to believe they are in this position with their pedigree, although in the eighties they suffered a similar slump only to come back in spectacular style in the early nineties. Though, at the moment there does not appear to the underage teams there to give them much hope for the future.

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: off the laces on October 28, 2008, 02:14:51 PM
would like to say we are going great, but with this credit crunch who knows where any off us will be next year, boys will likely have to travel to get work.

Imo I think Off the Laces has hit the hammer on the head here! With construction work here drying up (we're all not all Cavanagh accountants) I think the rural clubs are really going to strugglle over the next couple of seasons. Prepare to see some amalgamations - the credit crunch will affect everyone.

An Cloch Scoilte

Does anyone know are there any PRFL games this weekend?

lfdown2

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on October 29, 2008, 09:06:03 AM
Does anyone know are there any PRFL games this weekend?

ring the grew he'll tell ye

Johnnie99

Ulster championship fixtures for this weekend from ulster council website:

Ulster Club Intermediate Football Championship
Annaclone (Down)  Mac Cumhaills (Donegal)  Pairc Esler Newry Down 02/11/2008 14:30 Martin Higgins Q-Final

Ulster Club Junior Football Championship
St Johns (Down)  Coa (Fermanagh)  Pairc Esler Newry Down 31/10/2008 20:00 Gregory Walsh Q-Final

Minus15

hard to pick up exactly what has gone on between St pauls and saul. Did their original fixture not take place due to failure to field by either team or was it due to inclement weather?

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: western exile on October 28, 2008, 08:42:46 PM
I also think you are mistaken 99  :)
No one is trying to stir at all. The facts speak for themselves. Dromara achieved more game points on the pitch throughout the season than Aghaderg did. Aghaderg pipped them to the promotion spot by 1 point because St. Johns gave them 2 free points by not bothering to field.  Their non fielding against The Finn may not have had an impact on any league position, but their failure to field against Aghaderg decided who got promoted.

I don't know if there is any precedent for sanctions in a case like this. But St. Johns certainly have a case to answer.  The leagues are meant to be a fair competition. We cannot have one club dictating who gets promoted with them  ;D
[/quote]

I think you've got a little mixed up Western Exile. I believe Aghaderg finished two points ahead of Dromara. Had the Johnnies fulfilled the fixture you're harping on about & beaten Aghaderg, then Aghaderg & Dromara would have finished level. But with a superior points difference, Aghaderg would have went up in any case. So Aghaderg went up on their own merits and not because the Johnnies had a wedding in the parish to which all your "no good Johnnies" were invited.