Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dulaney

to be honest at the end of the day the standard of football in Down is poor. Mayobridge won the c/ship this year and basically played none in any of their 4 matches except for 10/15 minute spells of good football after half time in 3 of their matches which meant they had the game wrapped up without having to exert much effort. The Down c/ship isn't going to prepare the bridge for the hard hitting, fast paced games they will encounter in ulster and to some degree this has been their downfall. i think they have the potential to give Ulster a crack but st. Galls is a hell of a step up from anything they faced in down, a win against a team like st. Galls who are arguably in the top 3 in ulster would inspire some confidence and maybe bring them back to the form they showed in 2001/2004. it's going to be very difficult for them but i wish them all the best in Ulster!!
Also after a dreadful week, congratulations to St.Johns on winning the Junior c/ship, you could sense at full-time just how much this meant to them and i wish them all the best in Ulster and on a speedy repair of their club rooms

supersub

good to see the reserve leagues getting a round of fixtures in at long last this weekend! don't know how long its been since i saw a p.reserve match involving my club!! also now the championship is over, how does anyone think the div 1 league will go? top 4, winner, relegated etc?

Blue Island

Quote from: guevara on September 28, 2008, 08:10:54 PM
As a neutral I thought todays Senior final was terrible. Both teams were very poor and very little good football was played. Benny kicked some horrible wides and he two O'Reillys seemed to carry the ball down blind alleyways for Loughinisland at times.
Dont think Gordon wouldve made big difference as he done very little in the semifinal against Burren.

Big "Magic" Johnson was very poor. Agree with some posts about Corrigan seeming to be biased to the Bridge. Seemed to allow countless closed fist tackles, encroachment on frees and only showing book for Yellow card offences. Also moved few Bridge frees up 13metres but wasnt doing same for Island.

If thats best in our county were fecked

Can't argue with most of what you say. Poor final and two points in a half of football is a poor return. Mayobridge not great either but played more intelligently and don't believe they will be overly worried as they have bigger fish to fry. I can see why you would say DF

Blue Island

Quote from: Blue Island on September 29, 2008, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: guevara on September 28, 2008, 08:10:54 PM
As a neutral I thought todays Senior final was terrible. Both teams were very poor and very little good football was played. Benny kicked some horrible wides and he two O'Reillys seemed to carry the ball down blind alleyways for Loughinisland at times.
Dont think Gordon wouldve made big difference as he done very little in the semifinal against Burren.

Big "Magic" Johnson was very poor. Agree with some posts about Corrigan seeming to be biased to the Bridge. Seemed to allow countless closed fist tackles, encroachment on frees and only showing book for Yellow card offences. Also moved few Bridge frees up 13metres but wasnt doing same for Island.

If thats best in our county were fecked

Can't argue with most of what you say. Poor final and two points in a half of football is a poor return. Mayobridge not great either but played more intelligently and don't believe they will be overly worried as they have bigger fish to fry. I can see why you would say DF

Oops pressed the post button accidentally. As I was about to say I can see why you would say Dan had a poor semi final because he did, but what is not widely known is he suffered a stress fracture in his foot at the compromise rules trials two days before the semi and has more or less been screwed since. With regards to Magic, he didn't have a good game and that is because he was completely starved of possession. We obviously did not give our inside forwards much ammunition in the second half.

Good luck to the Bridge in Ulster. Our game was very stop start on Sunday and the Bridge seemed to prefer it that way. For instance after we scored a point or put them under pressure they would delay the kick out or take time to get treatment. I am not sure it necessarily always helps the Bridge. If they can keep a high adrenalin fast paced game going for the whole game like they did for fifteen minutes on Sunday they will beat St Galls.

Also, Mickey Walsh is their orchestrator and makes them tick. He needs to start against St Galls.

BRIDGE LAD

Very poor final indeeed, but as Dulaney says the Bridge only needed 15 mins of football to win the game! Thats the problem with football in Down bad standard of opposition! I think the bridge will beat St Galls this year, just have that sneaky feeling. Although a few lads would need to up their game! Bridge defence was very good yesterday, Shane Ohare and Brendan Grant very good, overall the six defenders played well. Heard Kieran OHare broke his arm at the start of the game too! Thats him, B Rodgers and B Rooney out for Ulster campaign! Three bigs lads, they are the sort you need for ulster!

Pangurban, five in a row you jealous git! Up the bridge!

the milkman

Keek final yesterday, the standard of football in the championship this year has been shocking! Mayobridge would need to drastically improve if they are too stand any chance of beating st. galls. Im sure wee James will have them well fired up for that game!!

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here, but was wondering if any else thinks that Coulter game has gone off the boil a little, (4 points in a championship final is a great return granted) he kicked a brave few wides yesterday and there just is not that spark or excitement in the crowd when he gets the ball, could be that people expect him to get a goal or two ever game and its just not possible, but even still just doesn't look the same player of 2 or 3 years ago.....................

Blue Island

Quote from: BRIDGE LAD on September 29, 2008, 04:34:58 PM
Very poor final indeeed, but as Dulaney says the Bridge only needed 15 mins of football to win the game! Thats the problem with football in Down bad standard of opposition!

If Bridge do not do well in Ulster this year, you can't use this excuse again. Opposition may not be up to scratch in Down at the moment, but Cross and St Galls have hardily had it tough in their respective championships over the last 7-8 years.

BRIDGE LAD

If Bridge do not do well in Ulster this year, you can't use this excuse again. Opposition may not be up to scratch in Down at the moment, but Cross and St Galls have hardily had it tough in their respective championships over the last 7-8 years.
[/quote]

Hard luck yest!

dodgy umpire

Quote from: the milkman on September 29, 2008, 05:20:25 PM
Keek final yesterday, the standard of football in the championship this year has been shocking! Mayobridge would need to drastically improve if they are too stand any chance of beating st. galls. Im sure wee James will have them well fired up for that game!!

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh here, but was wondering if any else thinks that Coulter game has gone off the boil a little, (4 points in a championship final is a great return granted) he kicked a brave few wides yesterday and there just is not that spark or excitement in the crowd when he gets the ball, could be that people expect him to get a goal or two ever game and its just not possible, but even still just doesn't look the same player of 2 or 3 years ago.....................

all the man needs is a wee break. he has picked up knocks and wee injuries along the way and he would be the type to play on reguardless. if he has come off the boil, which im not sure he has, it would be down to wear and tear
The Boys in Red and Black are back

6th sam

Quote from: the milkman on September 29, 2008, 05:20:25 PM

As somebody who was cheering for the Island yesterday I  disagree about Benny.Thought he was the difference between the sides.His points were top drawer ,and he was a handful that ultimately Loughinisland couldn't cope with.He is a much more effective player at club and county level this year.and appears in his best condition for years.I wish himself and The Bridge all the best v St Galls.

Abble

could someone please post up current div1 and div2 tables ?
(cant access down site from work here!)

amallon

Well done to the Bridge in winning the 5 in a row, its a fantastic achievement for us.  The performance on Sunday was far from vintage but I was never overly concerned, the 15 minute patch at the start of the second half really won it for us.  The penatly save lifted the Island and in fairness they threw everything at us but without much end result. 

St.Galls will be hard beat, they have an Ulster under their belt already and will be the favourites.  We had 3 men sent off against them the last time we played them.  With 15 men I expect us to give a better account of ourselves.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

amallon

Forgot to congratulate the Bridge seconds who did well to beat Burren on Saturday.  They were really under the kosh in the second half and needed someone to get a couple of points to settle them again.  Up steps Mickey Linden and scores a gem of a point from play then hits and massive point from a free out near the sideline. 

With the minor county final still to come I hope the Bridge supporters don't put any pressure on the mintors to deliver the third championship.  The minor county final is a stand alone game and should be left as that and the young lads shouldn't feel under more pressure to deliver.

Well done to Ballyholland who hosted the reserve finals on Saturday.  The pitch was in great nick and the new stand is top class. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Super Dupe

Team            Played     Won       Draw      Lost       POINTS   Score Diff 

Mayobridge         17       15           0          2             30        +99 
Rostrevor           20        12          2           6             26        +30 
Kilcoo                17        12           1          4             25        +77 
Burren               19        10          1          7              21         +4 
Clonduff            18         10          1          7              21          -9 
Castlewellan       18         9           2           7             20        +40 
Loughinisland      17         7          4           6             18         -13 
Longstone         19         9           0           9             18         -18 
Saval                18          5           3         10             13         -42 
Liatrom             16         4           2          10             10         -42 
An Riocht          19         4           1          14             9          -70 
Ballyholland        20         2           3          15             7          -56

Includes last nights game where Burren beat Longstone by 3 points.

Johnnie99

As a member of the st johns club i would just like to thank all who posted here in relation to the events of last week.  friday was a testing day for all concerned with the club and i personally did not want to post anything here on friday in case i said something i would regret later on.  the clubhouse will get rebuilt, and as our chairperson stated, it will be bigger and better than before. 

The weekend ended on a brighter note with the senior footballers lifting the down junior football championship for the first time in the clubs history on sunday afternoon in newry.  this is in addition to winning div 4 earlier in the year.  the senior team has a bright future ahead of it, and i anticipate this being matched by new clubrooms in the not too distant future.

Again, thanks for all the messages of support received here, and for all the local clubs who have offerred their support in many ways.  this just sums up what the GAA is all about.