Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Super Dupe on September 19, 2008, 10:59:05 AM
Quote from: Bitta-Banter on September 18, 2008, 05:38:06 PM
Magic isnt ur only good signing Islandboy,McCarthy is ur best signing,Ward has been a good one,along with Turley.
Dont think Mayobridge have any transsfers in have they?
Only noticed Burren have quite a few signings in and so do Saval from tthe senior semi-finalists.
Y did G McCarten leave Rostrevor and go to Burren?

Gerard McCartan left Rostrevor to go to Burren as his family mover there about 18 months ago.  We were disappointed that he left and tried to get him to stay but he had his mind made up.  No point in keeping a player who doesnt want to stay.

On another transfer, was at the Reserve semi final last night between Rostrevor and Mayobridge.  I noticed a fella Laverty playing full forward for the Bridge.  Turns out it was 'Coke' Laverty from Castlewellan.  I remember him as being a good player when he was younger.  Cant be that old now, what would he be 29!!!

As in the name  :-X

Lecale2

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on September 18, 2008, 04:34:54 PM
Anyone know when the Minor final is - we hope it is before the Senior Game as scheduled. We have seven boys leaving on the 1st October for university in Mainland UK, surely all minor football should be over before then.

f**k I hate that expression!  >:(

Whitehair

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 19, 2008, 11:22:40 AM
Anyone know when the Minor final is - we hope it is before the Senior Game as scheduled. We have seven boys leaving on the 1st October for university in Mainland UK, surely all minor football should be over before then.

I was holding my tongue Lecale! :D

johnneycool

Quote from: No1 on September 19, 2008, 09:54:33 AM
 Whitehair, I think Mark Trainor played county minors alright.  Downpatrick and Portaferry won the SFC and SHC respectively in 1991 so that was his only chance to have picked up the two medals.  I have my doubts that he did.

Mark would have been 18 or 19 in 91. He wouldn't have made Portaferry seniors then but he probably did subsequently and holds a club championship medal in either code albeit not in the same year. I can't think of anyone else in living memory who might have achieved that feat.

Oh, and did you know big Ger Colgan played midfield in an AL minor semi-final in the hurling for Down. We got beat by Offaly by 5 points who then stuffed Clare in the final.

Bitta-Banter

Islandboy i wasnt having a go at you,im not jealous of u,the only club im worried about is my own,ur probably so defensive because alota clubs,espeically in east down like taking a dig at you,I was basically making the point that its goin around happenin most clubs(transfers in and out),thats a fact,and it will continue in the future id say.
The Island have done very well,Colgan seems to have them very well organised.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: amallon on September 19, 2008, 10:55:39 AM
I think the 3 player limit is a load of cack, what if you have a young Benny Coulter or Marty Clarke on your minor team?  I can't see many senior teams wanting to do without a minor of that sort of talent.

Cant see too many coulters or clarkes emerging either - watch this space regarding ;)

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Whitehair on September 19, 2008, 11:28:45 AM

Strange thing to do whitehair - were you going to swallow it ;D

off the laces

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on September 19, 2008, 01:07:06 PM
Quote from: Whitehair on September 19, 2008, 11:28:45 AM

Strange thing to do whitehair - were you going to swallow it ;D
todays was his first aid refresher course ;) :D
Keeps 'er' straight

Aristotle Flynn

SFC Final
Mayobridge v Loughinisland; Mayobridge

IFC Final
Annaclone v Darragh Cross; Darragh Cross

JFC Final
St John's v Bright; St John's

PRFC Football Final
Mayobridge v Burren; Mayobridge

RFC Final
Rostrevor v Castlewellan; Rostrevor

MFC Final
Bryansford v Mayobridge; Mayobridge
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

milltown row

did Blaney never win County Championships in both codes?

islandboy

bitta binter- apologies but am getting sick of hearing the same record from other posters, no offence intended

THE DADGA

Quote from: johnneycool on September 19, 2008, 11:29:28 AM
Quote from: No1 on September 19, 2008, 09:54:33 AM

Oh, and did you know big Ger Colgan played midfield in an AL minor semi-final in the hurling for Down. We got beat by Offaly by 5 points who then stuffed Clare in the final.

What year was that Johnneycool??

Lecale2

Div 3 - Bredagh beat Glasdrumman by something like 5-13 to 0-8. Glasdrumman were missing 6 or 7.

spiritof91and94

Castlewellan reserves are playing well at the minute with Marty McKibben pulling the strings, donal ward, audie mcveigh, paddy hardy, kevin owens all playing as well as younger members - cannot see rostrevor beating them.

Blue Island

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on September 19, 2008, 10:14:07 PM
Castlewellan reserves are playing well at the minute with Marty McKibben pulling the strings, donal ward, audie mcveigh, paddy hardy, kevin owens all playing as well as younger members - cannot see rostrevor beating them.

Bloody hell. Those names take me back. Great to see them all still playing. Castlewellan and Downpatrick seem to have a good contingent of older boys. Play on for as long as you can. You will be a long time retired.

I can remember playing against McAlarney when he was around the age off 42-44 and still playing for the seniors and Dan McCartan was doing nets for Carryduff seconds when he was well into his fifties.