Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE DADGA

thewobbler

If the dual final thing has been done before, it was most likely by a Downpatrick player familiar with the ferry. Nobody springs to mind though.

Carryduff were formed in the seventies and have only had a handful of SFC games, so I'd say Blaney is out.

Anyone know if Seamrogai ever made a SFC final?

Maiden1

Interesting side note.  Jimmy Barry Murphy has won 5 AI club medals.  2 in hurling and 3 football playing for St Finbarrs in Cork.  As well as AI's in football and Hurling with Cork and 7 All Star awards (2 in football and 5 in hurling).  Magic has a bit to go to catch up on that.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

5 Sams

Quote from: thewobbler on September 17, 2008, 01:06:48 PM
If the dual final thing has been done before, it was most likely by a Downpatrick player familiar with the ferry. Nobody springs to mind though.

Carryduff were formed in the seventies and have only had a handful of SFC games, so I'd say Blaney is out.

Anyone know if Seamrogai ever made a SFC final?

They're bound to have won it in the 60s with Tony Hadden and John Murphy etc playing.....
The Aristocrat Years

thewobbler

Ah, I meant an SHC final 5Sams. They won an SFC early 1960s.

Maiden1

Faugh-a-Ballagh won both in 1903, 1907 and 1909.

Don't think there is any modern day equivalent.  Teams from the Ards peninsula have won all the senior hurling titles since the 60s and Downpatrick is the closest football team to the Ards to have won it.

Would Loughinisland have ever heard of Magic Johnson or Darragh Cross have signed Brendan McGourty if Ross hadn't have invited them into the Down football panel?

No1

QuoteDon't think Carryduff ever got to a senior championship final!  If ever it would probably be someone playing for Kilclief in the 40s or whatver.

Kilclief have never competed in the senior football final.  :'(

2 or 3 semi finals in the 70's but Loughinisland always seemed to stop us.

Mark Trainor of the RGU might be your best bet, pretty sure he has a SFC winners medal but I ain't sure if he even hurled senior for Portaferry, never mind won a SHC!

Green+Gold

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 17, 2008, 02:36:37 PM

Don't think there is any modern day equivalent.  Teams from the Ards peninsula have won all the senior hurling titles since the 60s and Downpatrick is the closest football team to the Ards to have won it.

Would Loughinisland have ever heard of Magic Johnson or Darragh Cross have signed Brendan McGourty if Ross hadn't have invited them into the Down football panel?

McGourty played underage for Darragh Cross.

Whitehair

QuoteMark Trainor of the RGU might be your best bet, pretty sure he has a SFC winners medal but I ain't sure if he even hurled senior for Portaferry, never mind won a SHC!

Would he have played for the Down Minor footballers in 91? I remember looking through the first round programme a while back and seeing a fella from Portaferry playing for the minors.

umpire

Amallon

1998; Rostrevor 1.11 Mayobridge 0.11

Islandboy

I got 2 different scoreline re 1989 game

In 2003 Down senior final programme
1989. Loughinisland 1.12 Bryansford 0.7

In last year Down senior final programme
1989; Loughinisland 3.10 Bryansford 0.5
Brendan Mason must have been in unstoppable that day with Gary and Colin Mason playing as well, also remember John Killen at left corner back, really brilliant defender.

Thewobbler

Shamrocks won 1961 final beating Newry Mitchels by 1.11 to 2.6
Tony Hadden was playing  but not John Murphy as he was a minor in 1966.

Lecale2

I believe Magic played minor for Kilclief.

I can't see how anyone could have played in the two senior finals in the same year in recent times.

Maiden1

Quote from: Green+Gold on September 17, 2008, 03:15:59 PM

McGourty played underage for Darragh Cross.

Yeah but if Ross hadn't invited him onto the county panel would Darragh have ever looked into getting him back to play for them.

islandboy

A Mallon i think your correct with the 3-10 not 3-9. we scored two goals in first half. collie mason and gary wre playing then and were superb. john killen actually played corner forward but year previous got mom at corner back. we had a good team in 80 's best remebered outside down for the 3 game saga with burren in 86. ten points up at half time but they came back. they won the all ireland the same year. what the view in the bridge about the final?

off the laces

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 17, 2008, 04:10:40 PM

I believe Magic played minor for Kilclief.

I can't see how anyone could have played in the two senior finals in the same year in recent times.
Magic played u-21 for saul and marked D gordan out off game as well as outcaught him a few years back.
Keeps 'er' straight