Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

SFC

Mayobridge v Saval - Mayobridge all the way.
Burren v Loughinisland - Burren to edge it.

IFC

Annaclone v Glasdrumman - Annaclone to win this and then win it outright
Darragh Cross v Kilclief - Hard to call. Darragh Cross to make an historic first IFC Final appearance.

JFC

Aghaderg v Bright - Both these teams are so unpredictable. Who knows who Bright might pull out of the dark for this game. If they dont resurrect a few past players then Aghaderg should surely win.

St Pauls v St Johns - To be honest, I dont have a clue about this one. I dont want St Johns to win but I think they just might. Winner of this to win the whole thing.

johnneycool

Quote from: Colonel Cool on September 09, 2008, 09:59:56 AM
Hurling championships this weekend. Clonduff face Ballela (from Div 1) in the Junior Final on Friday evening. Clonduff are a big strong team but rely too much on Murphy for scores. Ballela have a better balanced team and should have too much for them. I expect Ballela to win by 6-7 pts.

South Down play Ballygalget on Sunday in Kilclief and the odds are heavily stacked against them. The Ballela and Clonduff lads will be celebrating/drowning their sorrows after Friday. Conway and Rosie will be playing for Kilclief in the IFC on Saturday night and Aghaderg have a JFC game on Sunday. To top it all they appoint a Ballygalget ref!!!

I thought this year South Down could give it a real lash after the run in the NHL & Nicky Rachard but clearly the CCC don't want them playing on a level playing field. Galgets to win by 10.

The big game is on Sunday afternoon in Ballygalget (time to be confirmed). A young Cran team meet a very experienced Portaferry with Dule back and on form. If Ballycran are as hungary as they were last year they can win this, the question is are they? Ports form has dipped in recent weeks with some bad results in Antrim. Ballycran are running away with Div 2 but aren't really being tested. Hard to call and i wouldn't rule out a draw.

It certainly is a disgrace that south down aren't able to prepare properly for the game with a lot of football games interlaced over the weekend, we got a good trimming from Dunloy in our last outing so confidence will be low, the team needs to be settled in terms of tactics and personnel and currently neither are there. As for the jibe about the 'Ballygalget referee' that has cost a certain Portaferry mentor 8 weeks suspension plus he referee's for Downpatrick where he's lived for god knows how many years now and you could argue why a south down referee is in charge yet again. If a Portaferry or Ballycran man doesn't want to referee it then surely someone from outside the county should be appointed.

as for the other game the word on the street is that Murph has a broken hand and won't be available but I'd expect either Zelda or Eamon Adair to fill in. If Ballycran go with Brendan McGourty in there he might get some joy but he'll need a good supply and this is where the Crans might struggle. Milligan and Coleman are very solid and hard to get past, coupled with cougie and Andy Savage at midfield I'd be concerned that Brendan doesn't get starved of the ball and come roving out leaving little or no gola threat up front fro the Crans. As for the ports they'll be relying heavily on Dule yet again but Andy Bell can do a job on him if he forces Dule onto his right when he gets the ball. dule is far less effective on the right than his much favoured left. He might like his corner backs to step a few yards inside their men to close down the space for dule. Neither of Portaferry's corner men are going to do enough damage to beat you.
I haven't seen enough of Ballycran this year to know whether they've improved from last year or not and i'd say they don't really know themselves because they haven't been tested too much in the Antrim leagues. Whoever can get an early lead should go on and win, Portaferry get their dander up are hard to beat but they do fold quite quickly when things start to go wrong. Ballycran may need a good start to give themselves confidence.

Close game but I'll go for the Ports by the odd point in three which is nothing in hurling.

Lecale2

Very hard to call Ballycran/Portaferry. They haven't met in a year. Ballycran had a bad league last year but came good for the championship to surprise Ballygalget. There'll be no surprise factor this year. Portaferry were going well but have suffered a couple of bad defeats recently. It will be very tight & who ever wins it will be favorites for the McVeigh Cup.

Every year the South Down team are hamstrung by football fixtures and this year is no different. If they can get their best 15 fit & on the pitch they could give Ballygalget a good game. Unfortunately their participation in the SHC is seen by many clubs as a distraction and they rarely field a full strength team.

BRIDGE LAD

SFC
Saval v Mayobridge; Mayobridge
Loughinisland v Burren; Loughinisland

IFC
Annaclone v Glasdrumman; Annaclone
Darragh Cross v Kilclief; Kilclief

JFC
Aghaderg v Bright; Aghaderg
St John v St Pauls;  St Pauls

upthehoops

Quote from: johnneycool on September 09, 2008, 04:10:58 PM
Quote from: Colonel Cool on September 09, 2008, 09:59:56 AM
Hurling championships this weekend. Clonduff face Ballela (from Div 1) in the Junior Final on Friday evening. Clonduff are a big strong team but rely too much on Murphy for scores. Ballela have a better balanced team and should have too much for them. I expect Ballela to win by 6-7 pts.

South Down play Ballygalget on Sunday in Kilclief and the odds are heavily stacked against them. The Ballela and Clonduff lads will be celebrating/drowning their sorrows after Friday. Conway and Rosie will be playing for Kilclief in the IFC on Saturday night and Aghaderg have a JFC game on Sunday. To top it all they appoint a Ballygalget ref!!!

I thought this year South Down could give it a real lash after the run in the NHL & Nicky Rachard but clearly the CCC don't want them playing on a level playing field. Galgets to win by 10.

The big game is on Sunday afternoon in Ballygalget (time to be confirmed). A young Cran team meet a very experienced Portaferry with Dule back and on form. If Ballycran are as hungary as they were last year they can win this, the question is are they? Ports form has dipped in recent weeks with some bad results in Antrim. Ballycran are running away with Div 2 but aren't really being tested. Hard to call and i wouldn't rule out a draw.

It certainly is a disgrace that south down aren't able to prepare properly for the game with a lot of football games interlaced over the weekend, we got a good trimming from Dunloy in our last outing so confidence will be low, the team needs to be settled in terms of tactics and personnel and currently neither are there. As for the jibe about the 'Ballygalget referee' that has cost a certain Portaferry mentor 8 weeks suspension plus he referee's for Downpatrick where he's lived for god knows how many years now and you could argue why a south down referee is in charge yet again. If a Portaferry or Ballycran man doesn't want to referee it then surely someone from outside the county should be appointed.

as for the other game the word on the street is that Murph has a broken hand and won't be available but I'd expect either Zelda or Eamon Adair to fill in. If Ballycran go with Brendan McGourty in there he might get some joy but he'll need a good supply and this is where the Crans might struggle. Milligan and Coleman are very solid and hard to get past, coupled with cougie and Andy Savage at midfield I'd be concerned that Brendan doesn't get starved of the ball and come roving out leaving little or no gola threat up front fro the Crans. As for the ports they'll be relying heavily on Dule yet again but Andy Bell can do a job on him if he forces Dule onto his right when he gets the ball. dule is far less effective on the right than his much favoured left. He might like his corner backs to step a few yards inside their men to close down the space for dule. Neither of Portaferry's corner men are going to do enough damage to beat you.
I haven't seen enough of Ballycran this year to know whether they've improved from last year or not and i'd say they don't really know themselves because they haven't been tested too much in the Antrim leagues. Whoever can get an early lead should go on and win, Portaferry get their dander up are hard to beat but they do fold quite quickly when things start to go wrong. Ballycran may need a good start to give themselves confidence.

Close game but I'll go for the Ports by the odd point in three which is nothing in hurling.
Who is the Downpatrick referee doing the hurling?

Colonel Cool

QuoteWho is the Downpatrick referee doing the hurling?

The "Downpatrick" referee is Paul Braniff. He's actually with the Ballyknilar club now but originally from Ballygalget. This is his first ever senior match.

I hear there are moves by Ballygalget to bring him back into the fold since Mowglie refuses to do Antrim league games. Antrim have a rule that if you want to play in their league you must provide a referee.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

In the Onion Bag

I've seen Branniff a couple of time this season and I wouldn't trust him with an U12 game.  A really woeful ref but I still wish him a gudin on his big day for the sake of the match.

RGU till i die

Paul Branniff does not referee for Downpatrick.

upthehoops

Like Carlsberg say, Downpatrick don't do hurling refs ( presently) but if they did.......

No1

QuoteLatest ACFL Division 2 Table

Bryansford  18   34
Annaclone  18   22
Clann na Banna 15  22
Shamrocks  18   20
----------------------------------
Warrenpoint  15   20
Ballymartin  17  19
Darragh Cross  17   17
Attical  18   17
--------------------------------
Downpatrick  16  14
Tullylish   18  10
Kilclief   16   7
Dundrum   18   2

Outstanding Fixtures: Downpatrick v Warrenpoint + Kilcilef v Banbridge + Downpatrick v Banbridge + Kilclief v Warrenpoint + Banbridge v Warrenpoint + Ballymartin v Darragh Cross 

The way I read the relegation rule is that if Kilclief and Tullylish both don't reach the required 30% of Bryansford's total then whichever team is third from bottom stays up.  Is that right?  I am assuming that Dundrum are already gone?

stpauls

Quote from: No1 on September 10, 2008, 09:21:31 AM
QuoteLatest ACFL Division 2 Table

Bryansford  18   34
Annaclone  18   22
Clann na Banna 15  22
Shamrocks  18   20
----------------------------------
Warrenpoint  15   20
Ballymartin  17  19
Darragh Cross  17   17
Attical  18   17
--------------------------------
Downpatrick  16  14
Tullylish   18  10
Kilclief   16   7
Dundrum   18   2

Outstanding Fixtures: Downpatrick v Warrenpoint + Kilcilef v Banbridge + Downpatrick v Banbridge + Kilclief v Warrenpoint + Banbridge v Warrenpoint + Ballymartin v Darragh Cross 

The way I read the relegation rule is that if Kilclief and Tullylish both don't reach the required 30% of Bryansford's total then whichever team is third from bottom stays up.  Is that right?  I am assuming that Dundrum are already gone?

taken from the County Competition Rules:

Any team in Divisions 1, 2 or 3 which fails to achieve 30% (rounded up to the nearest point) of the points of the top team in that Division following the conclusion of ordinary round league games will be relegated automatically.  If more than two teams fail to achieve 30% (rounded up to the nearest point) of the points of the top team in that Division, the lowest finishing two teams will be relegated.

general

any word on how relegation playoffs from div 3 is working or had the county board stil not released how its done? last thing needed is a feck up like last year!!  ???

stpauls

Quote from: general on September 10, 2008, 09:53:49 AM
any word on how relegation playoffs from div 3 is working or had the county board stil not released how its done? last thing needed is a feck up like last year!!  ???

exactly, again see below:

(b)   Relegation from Divisions 1, 2 and 3 will be determined on a round   robin basis involving the bottom four teams in each of these Divisions following completion of the ordinary round of leagues.  Two teams will be relegated each year.  An exception will apply in 2008 when three teams will be relegated from Division 3.

johnneycool

Quote from: RGU till i die on September 09, 2008, 11:03:55 PM

apologies to anyone from the RGU I may have insulted. I didn't realise my mistake would cause someone so much offence that they'd actually register for the first time to post.

I must have struck a raw nerve!

Bacon

Quote from: johnneycool on September 10, 2008, 10:36:34 AM
Quote from: RGU till i die on September 09, 2008, 11:03:55 PM

apologies to anyone from the RGU I may have insulted. I didn't realise my mistake would cause someone so much offence that they'd actually register for the first time to post.

I must have struck a raw nerve!

It's not fair focusing on the ref in senior championship matches. These games will be won or lost by the players. 

Im pretty sure Ballycran will turn Portaferry over. A young fit team with loads of confidence against a more experienced team on the way down. Dule is back but I still go for Crans to win by 4 points.

In the other match it's the same old problem for S Down - lack of proper preparation. Ballygalget will find it tough for first half but will get 30 minutes target practise in the second. Galgets to win by 20 (if they can keep 15 men on the field).
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009