Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mournerambler

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on September 02, 2008, 08:22:38 AM
Quote from: Super Dupe on September 01, 2008, 03:34:58 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2008, 02:35:00 PM
Dodgy - Not overly strong.

Bosco and Shamrocks are normally competitive, and occasionally very good, but you can almost guarantee that underage teams at the likes of Burren, Mayobridge and Rostrevor will progress as they go through the juvenile ranks, whereas the Newry teams will stall.

There is any number of reasons for this, but I'd say it's the sheer catchment size of the clubs is actually the problem. Fellas joining Shamrocks at a young age come from the four corners of Newry. They come from different schools, different backgrounds. The only thing they have in common is a green jersey. Which is fine at under-12 level when young minds can be controlled, but at under 16 and minor level it must be nearly impossible to coach team spirit into these fellas.

Have to agree with this comment.  Look at where the underage titles go in Down.  Mayobridge look like they are the ones for the Minors, Kilcoo/Burren for the under 16's, Rostrevor have just won the South Down under 14's, beating Burren in the final.  All small tight knit communities.  This is the same almost every year.  You can almost guarantee that these clubs will win one of the underage titles every year.  The one town team that does consistently produce would be Castlewellan, although they are a small town, not like Newry, Downpatrick etc.

Now take the under 12 teams this year.  The best 2 teams in South Down are Shamrocks and Ballyholland.  By a country mile i can tell you they are the best.  I know a lot can change over the years but generally a strong underage team will stay strong up through the ranks.  It will be interesting to see can the Newry teams follow through in the next few years but i would suspect that come under 14's, or definitely under 16's, you will see Burren/Mayobridge etc at the top of the leagues.

Another club who have be known to sign anyone willing to join them, how many recruits have came from rural clubs in East Down in the last ten years?

That's rich coming from a Bryansford man spirit ;)

spiritof91and94

Quote from: mournerambler on September 02, 2008, 08:32:53 AM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on September 02, 2008, 08:22:38 AM
Quote from: Super Dupe on September 01, 2008, 03:34:58 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2008, 02:35:00 PM
Dodgy - Not overly strong.

Bosco and Shamrocks are normally competitive, and occasionally very good, but you can almost guarantee that underage teams at the likes of Burren, Mayobridge and Rostrevor will progress as they go through the juvenile ranks, whereas the Newry teams will stall.

There is any number of reasons for this, but I'd say it's the sheer catchment size of the clubs is actually the problem. Fellas joining Shamrocks at a young age come from the four corners of Newry. They come from different schools, different backgrounds. The only thing they have in common is a green jersey. Which is fine at under-12 level when young minds can be controlled, but at under 16 and minor level it must be nearly impossible to coach team spirit into these fellas.

Have to agree with this comment.  Look at where the underage titles go in Down.  Mayobridge look like they are the ones for the Minors, Kilcoo/Burren for the under 16's, Rostrevor have just won the South Down under 14's, beating Burren in the final.  All small tight knit communities.  This is the same almost every year.  You can almost guarantee that these clubs will win one of the underage titles every year.  The one town team that does consistently produce would be Castlewellan, although they are a small town, not like Newry, Downpatrick etc.

Now take the under 12 teams this year.  The best 2 teams in South Down are Shamrocks and Ballyholland.  By a country mile i can tell you they are the best.  I know a lot can change over the years but generally a strong underage team will stay strong up through the ranks.  It will be interesting to see can the Newry teams follow through in the next few years but i would suspect that come under 14's, or definitely under 16's, you will see Burren/Mayobridge etc at the top of the leagues.

Another club who have be known to sign anyone willing to join them, how many recruits have came from rural clubs in East Down in the last ten years?

That's rich coming from a Bryansford man spirit ;)

Explain

mournerambler

Jim Magorrian would be one of a few that springs to mind.

islandboy

We were poor last night, never turned up at all. too many boys thinking of a semi final. we scored 1-3 in last ten which flattered us on the score board. rostrevor were as short as ourselves which makes it more annoying as we needed the two points.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: mournerambler on September 02, 2008, 08:48:40 AM
Jim Magorrian would be one of a few that springs to mind.

I think it is well known Jim married a Bryansford girl and moved to live in our parish - all totally legit, Bryansford never pursued signing him, it was his decision.
The other one will be Shane King who was in the same situation.

goldenyears

saval stole 2 poiints from the harps last night in ballyholland - 5-4 at half time to harps, who went on 9-5 with 10 to play. harps have left probably 8-10 points behind them this season from winning positions late in the second half....

thats simply the difference between staying up or going straight back down...

oh and free kicks!! murtagh and mulholland missed crucial frees in the last 5, just cant happen!!

Super Dupe

Quote from: supersub on September 01, 2008, 11:15:07 PM
Quote from: Bitta-Banter on September 01, 2008, 10:59:36 PM
Any chance of a few scores from tonights games?

rostrevor 2-10 l'island 1-7

island were poor didnt seem that interested really. ben oreilly not playing maybe it wasnt their strongest team. rostrevor seem to be rallied from the close defeat and méle against the bridge thow!

Just to clarify the score last night was 2-12 to 1-7.  Loughinisland really did not look interested in the match.  After 15 minutes it was 1-0 to Rostrevor but by half time it was 1-7 to 0-1.  Loughinisland were lucky they even scored in the first half to be honest.  The difference in the intensity compared to the championship match a few weeks ago was like black and white.  I think Gordon caught one ball all evening, and with O'Reilly only coming on for last 20, they had very little up front. 
For Rostrevor, it was a case of well if you want to give it to us we will take it.  Young Anthony Donnan made his debut and scored a goal and a point, so its good to see more young lads coming through. 
Both teams missing quite a few players but it now appears that Loughinisland are out of the top 4 running in the league.  A championship final appearance would more than offset that though.  Teams just need to watch for Saval coming sneaking up as they are on a bit of a roll.

Burren and Kilcoo on thursday should be a bit of humdinger.  It was seriously tough stuff in the first match.

off the laces

I still believe it should never have been fixtured to play a day after a championship game.

Would have loved to have given you a result from st pauls v saul only the co. board decided to call the match off but forget to tell saul, so we had 22 players and a handful off supporters standing outside the gates off Palace Sorry i mean st pauls waiting to get in making phone calls to all to see if it was still on and as the fixtures sec was on holiday no one was around to tell us, it was left to saul to contact the referees sec to find out the game was off.
As a supporter i would like to know who re-embeirses my fuel allowance do i need to send for the GPA, CO Board once again a JOKE!!!
Rant over.
Keeps 'er' straight

stpauls

Quote from: off the laces on September 02, 2008, 11:56:09 AM

I still believe it should never have been fixtured to play a day after a championship game.

Would have loved to have given you a result from st pauls v saul only the co. board decided to call the match off but forget to tell saul, so we had 22 players and a handful off supporters standing outside the gates off Palace Sorry i mean st pauls waiting to get in making phone calls to all to see if it was still on and as the fixtures sec was on holiday no one was around to tell us, it was left to saul to contact the referees sec to find out the game was off.
As a supporter i would like to know who re-embeirses my fuel allowance do i need to send for the GPA, CO Board once again a JOKE!!!
Rant over.

firstly, would you like to edit that comment with regards to the Palace!! you may have travelled up for no reason, but no need to include that reference in your rant!!

secondly, we got an email last friday confirming the game was off, so either your club didn't get it, or some one in the club is trying to pull a fast one so you can pick up some much needed points!!

islandboy

Just to clarify the score last night was 2-12 to 1-7.  Loughinisland really did not look interested in the match.  After 15 minutes it was 1-0 to Rostrevor but by half time it was 1-7 to 0-1.  Loughinisland were lucky they even scored in the first half to be honest.  The difference in the intensity compared to the championship match a few weeks ago was like black and white.  I think Gordon caught one ball all evening, and with O'Reilly only coming on for last 20, they had very little up front. 
For Rostrevor, it was a case of well if you want to give it to us we will take it.  Young Anthony Donnan made his debut and scored a goal and a point, so its good to see more young lads coming through. 
Both teams missing quite a few players but it now appears that Loughinisland are out of the top 4 running in the league.  A championship final appearance would more than offset that though.  Teams just need to watch for Saval coming sneaking up as they are on a bit of a roll.

Burren and Kilcoo on thursday should be a bit of humdinger.  It was seriously tough stuff in the first match.

saval are on 12 points and we have 18 with five games left so we should be ok. we need to get going again and friday night should be a good game. i dont think the bridge have beaten us at home since we came up from the 2nd division. who knows we may be playing them the following sunday.

D4S

We were beaten last night by Clonduff final score.

Clonduff 0-14  Longstone 2-6

Very wet heavy pitches all round I'd say last night.  We were poor overall and the 2point margin at the end probably flattered.  Very hard to pick up points when missing so many key players...Last night  Ambrose, Mark Poland, Mark Doran, Michael Higgins, Stephen Doran.  Best for us were Conor Smith, John Magee and Ryan kelly who all tried very hard!

The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

supersub

yes sorry i meant 2-12 i had 2-10 in my head from seeing the previous post.

goldenyears

did shamrocks really get beaten by darragh cross? jesus christ

off the laces

Quote from: stpauls on September 02, 2008, 12:17:09 PM

Rant over.

firstly, would you like to edit that comment with regards to the Palace!! you may have travelled up for no reason, but no need to include that reference in your rant!!

secondly, we got an email last friday confirming the game was off, so either your club didn't get it, or some one in the club is trying to pull a fast one so you can pick up some much needed points!!

Well lets call it as it is
1: We where up at St Pauls with a panel of players looking to play a match they all believed should not be played any way therefore DO YOU think WE got the E-MAIL to say it was OFF,
2 How can we be awarded points if there is no referee there.
And no i would not want to edit my comment, if someone asks how to get to St Pauls you tell them to travel out the A2 heading for Bangor then follow the signs for the PALACE BARRACKS its past them on the left.Is that not right st pauls
Keeps 'er' straight

stpauls

Quote from: off the laces on September 02, 2008, 01:44:21 PM
Quote from: stpauls on September 02, 2008, 12:17:09 PM

Rant over.

Well lets call it as it is
1: We where up at St Pauls with a panel of players looking to play a match they all believed should not be played any way therefore DO YOU think WE got the E-MAIL to say it was OFF,
2 How can we be awarded points if there is no referee there.

And no i would not want to edit my comment, if someone asks how to get to St Pauls you tell them to travel out the A2 heading for Bangor then follow the signs for the PALACE BARRACKS its past them on the left.Is that not right st pauls

1: obviously you didn't get the email, but i wonder why we were sent it and your club weren't!!
2: now you see, you never mentioned there was no referee there.

though it just shows what kind of person you are when you try to associate us with the Brits up the road. when i give directions, i tell them to take the turn for Holywood after the slip road for Ikea, not Palace!! your directions are right, but there was no need for the snide 'standing outside the gates off Palace Sorry i mean st pauls' remark, makes you look petty!!