Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D4S

The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Our Nail Loney

So all the matches are deffo off tonight? Needa settle a bet here, ive a saval lad sweating the bit out like a postman from lurgan

behind the wire

theres a rumour that warrenpoint v clann na banna will be played on monday night in ballymartin.

county board we put in an awkward psition but communication could have been better. we still hadnt received notification at 4pm that match was definitely off yet wobbler says it was clear ballyholland wasnt playable at noon.

feel sorry for whoever has to refix all these games now though!
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

SCENTOFSAM

Quote from: guevara on August 16, 2008, 04:46:54 PM
Another wonderful county board feck up!!

Warrenpoint v Banbridge was on then off then on again, then switched to Saval!!
But Point then informed that Annaclone were being given preference in Saval (which is now off too)
Every year the idiots in charge seem to mess up the whole championship and it gets finished in October!!

How can every other county in the land get their Championship going June/Jult time but every year we become the laughing stock???

Also why was Saval not used as a venue from day 1?

Raging!!
Solution:
put youself forward for assistant secretary next year. Some great posters here who can solve all the problems ofthe GAA but never too many putting themselves forward to do any real work in the association.
It was the clubs who decided against any changes to leagues and championship. August Chaampionship  start has been a real success over the past few years as in days gone by when clubs got knocked out in May June their best players cleared off.

dundrumite

Quote from: guevara on August 16, 2008, 04:46:54 PM
Another wonderful county board feck up!!

Warrenpoint v Banbridge was on then off then on again, then switched to Saval!!
But Point then informed that Annaclone were being given preference in Saval (which is now off too)
Every year the idiots in charge seem to mess up the whole championship and it gets finished in October!!

How can every other county in the land get their Championship going June/Jult time but every year we become the laughing stock???

Also why was Saval not used as a venue from day 1?

Raging!!

How are we a laughing stock???

I think its a good thing, well known that when teams go out of championship, motivation goes down. Instead of going out of championship in June, keeps teams together for the championship goal until at least August. Also allows teams to gain momentum with the championship run off over 8 weeks as opposed to having to wait on the next round for a possible 8 weeks due to County championship Commitments

thewobbler

Guevara, you obviously don't have a the patience/intelligence to think a situation out thoroughly before mouthing off, so I'll give you a bit of help.

The Down Championships may start later than those any other county, but they finish on the same weekend as 95% of all other counties i.e. two weeks before the Provincial Club Championship first round. Which happens to be in October. Every year. So when County Championships finish in October, as they do every year, it isn't because the County Board mess up, but is the result of a very deliberate footballing calendar.

Secondly, around half-a-dozen games for neutral venues were postponed today, and the likelihood is that the same number will be postponed tomorrow. Participating clubs have spent the day waiting by the phone, and host clubs have spent the day on the phone to refererees and the Board. If you honestly believe that re-coordinating an entire set of fixtures for neutral grounds - when almost every ground in the country is unplayable - is anything other than an impossible task, then you are an imbecile.

Behind the Wire, I have to point out that the "noon" you refer to was the time when I walked the pitch, and not when the decision was made. Shortly after that, we contacted the county board, who contacted the referee, who travelled and made a decision, then contacted the County Board, who contacted you. Sean Rooney and Sean Broderick were very busy men today.

DownFanatic

16 Lunasa 2008

Following the loss of all Down Football Championships due to be played today (Saturday), fixtures have been re-scheduled as follows;

SUNDAY 17 AUGUST

POWERADE SENIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Dun Phadraig v Baile Mhairtin            Newcastle    2.00 p.m.
An Cloch Fhada v Liatroim               Burren               3.30 p.m.
Baile Cholmain v Sabhall               Mayobridge   5.30 p.m.

AROUND A POUND INTERMEDIATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Dun Droma v Bredach               Teconnaught    5.00 p.m.
Na Seamrogaian Iur v Sabhall (Naomh Phadraig)     Ballymartin    6.00 p.m.

JUNIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

Droim Bearach v Naomh Eoin            Saul      1.00 p.m.
Breachtain v Achada Lios Na Feinne         Ardglass   3.30 p.m.

MONDAY 18 AUGUST

Droichead Maigh Eo v Cluain Daimh         Newry      7.00 p.m.

Caisleain Ruairi v Loch An Oileain                   Castlewellan  7.00p.m.

TUESDAY 19 AUGUST

An Riocht v Cill Cua                  Dundrum   7.00 p.m.

Clann Na Banna v Cumann Peadar Naofa      Ballyholland   7.00 p.m.
Eanach Cluana v Tulach Lis                        Saval      7.00

WEDNESDAY 20 AUGUST

Droim Gath v Ceathru Aodha Dhuibh         Ballykinlar 7.00 p.m.

JUNIOR FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

An Gleann v Naomh Mhichil            Tullylish        7.00 p.m.

All replays will be on Saturday 23 August 2008.  They may not be at the same venue as the original fixture and, if required, all or part of games may be played under floodlights.

The next round of the Premier Reserve and Reserve Football Championships will be played on Sunday 24 August at 2.00 p.m. and 6.00 p.m. respectively.  The draws will be made tomorrow (first team drawn will have home advantage) and fixtures will be circulated to the clubs tomorrow evening or Monday.

upthehoops

Quote from: thewobbler on August 17, 2008, 12:02:52 AM
Guevara, you obviously don't have a the patience/intelligence to think a situation out thoroughly before mouthing off, so I'll give you a bit of help.

The Down Championships may start later than those any other county, but they finish on the same weekend as 95% of all other counties i.e. two weeks before the Provincial Club Championship first round. Which happens to be in October. Every year. So when County Championships finish in October, as they do every year, it isn't because the County Board mess up, but is the result of a very deliberate footballing calendar.

Secondly, around half-a-dozen games for neutral venues were postponed today, and the likelihood is that the same number will be postponed tomorrow. Participating clubs have spent the day waiting by the phone, and host clubs have spent the day on the phone to refererees and the Board. If you honestly believe that re-coordinating an entire set of fixtures for neutral grounds - when almost every ground in the country is unplayable - is anything other than an impossible task, then you are an imbecile.

Behind the Wire, I have to point out that the "noon" you refer to was the time when I walked the pitch, and not when the decision was made. Shortly after that, we contacted the county board, who contacted the referee, who travelled and made a decision, then contacted the County Board, who contacted you. Sean Rooney and Sean Broderick were very busy men today.
Couldnt have put it better myself,Wobbler. Obviously a man who has more grasp of the logistics of running the county scene than some of the whinging elements who can only see the problems. The CCC are volunteers like the rest of us at clubs and doing a very difficult job in pressing circumstances. taking cheap shots does nothing to enhance the situation. Fair play to the two Seans for the way they are dealing with this, the biggest championship weekend in Down every year.

Dromara Gael

Dromara match not on Sunday. Sometime during week

Lecale2

From RTE. Even if pitches are playable travel could be difficult in some areas.

Met Eireann issues severe weather warning
Saturday, 16 August 2008 16:30

Met Eireann has issued a severe weather warning which is valid until Monday.

Heavy rainfall is forecast in excess of 50 millimetres in places with parts of the east, north and west most at risk.

Some further flooding can be expected.

general

DownFanatic would you know is the glenn V st micks game defo off??

gorm agus bui

Just heard from  a Downpatrick mate that their game witth Ballymartin off until monday at 7pm

behind the wire

Quote from: thewobbler on August 17, 2008, 12:02:52 AM

dont get me wrong wobbler i know all the work that went on yesterday. was just making the point that we never actually got official notice that te game was definitely off.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

bridgegael

heard word from few lads there who went walking round the bridge field there now,  it will definately be fit to hold the game later on.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

In the Onion Bag

Dundrum v Bredagh has been switched to 5:00 in Ballykinler.