Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

umpire

Glasdrumman 3.14 Newry Bosco 0.7

thewobbler

I'm not a bookie, and I'd probably be a very poor one if I tried, but the odds displayed above really are shocking value and surely couldn't encourage anyone to have a punt on the Down Championships. Would they not be better off trying to gain a couple of stray fivers at silly prices?

In the SFC, rather than having An Riocht, Ballyholland and Saval each as 33/1 shots, a more realistic price would be 33/1 any of the three. And I still wouldn't place a bet. When it comes to it, they don't stand a chance. Forget the Kingdom's league win last season - they've to play Kilcoo in Round One ffs.

Clonduff, by virtue of having to play Mayobridge in Round One should be at least at 20s. Burren at 4/1? Maybe if they slip through the easy side of the draw there is a smidgen of each way value, but they aren't going to win the thing.

Similarly in the Intermediate, everyone below Kilclief in the betting should be at least 50/1. With Annaclone, Shamrocks and Warrenpoint/Clann na Banna all as good as in the quarters, those bottom clubs have as much chance of winning a Championship this summer as I have of winning a gold in Beijing.   

Square Ball

Quote from: mixer boy on August 14, 2008, 05:53:37 PM
i see people talking bout the minor championship. was the draw for the b championship made yet???

Yip

Bredagh v Bryansford

Bosco v Mayobridge/Kilcoo
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

umpire

Amallon lead the way in prediction league after first 2 games

Amallon        2
Brick Tamlin     2
Centre3/4        2
Downfanatic    2
Dundrumite     2
General        2
Minus15         2
Niall Quinn        2
Off the Laces   2
TheWobbler    2
Bridgegael        1
Islandboy        1
NO1       1
Square Ball       1
Umpire       1

mixer boy

here square ball, i asked for the `b` draw. is it made yet?

lfdown2

squareball, if your interested u16 champ match, st marys v bredagh fixed for tomorrow at four has been postponed again, now fixed for tue eve in ballykinlar!!

D4S

Quote from: thewobbler on August 14, 2008, 10:41:53 PM
I'm not a bookie, and I'd probably be a very poor one if I tried, but the odds displayed above really are shocking value and surely couldn't encourage anyone to have a punt on the Down Championships. Would they not be better off trying to gain a couple of stray fivers at silly prices?

In the SFC, rather than having An Riocht, Ballyholland and Saval each as 33/1 shots, a more realistic price would be 33/1 any of the three. And I still wouldn't place a bet. When it comes to it, they don't stand a chance. Forget the Kingdom's league win last season - they've to play Kilcoo in Round One ffs.

Have you ever seen a poor bookie??? There's no value there cos he'll be happy with the stray fivers, if they were to lay mayobridge at 2/1 they'd be cleaned out, similarly Burren at 10/1 you get get a lot of money for! Bookie would then stand to lose too much so bookie happy with the punters coming in and throwing the odd fiver and tenner here and there IMHO
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Our Nail Loney

My mate who works in hughes says they have betting today but hes not working! D4S get your murky contacts out!

tsunami

Quote from: johnneycool on August 14, 2008, 04:44:29 PM
Quote from: T O Hare on August 14, 2008, 12:10:37 PM
Just a wee word on the under 14 b championship semi-final on Monday night between the Bridge and Ballyholland.. We travelled over the track of the foot where both teams were on the field on a wet night.. twenty minutes later both tems and supporters left as the referee failed to show up.. this is happening too often in Down Gaa and its up to all clubs to put pressure on the County board at Convention... Maybe a fine of one games expenses should be enforced!!!!!

And the county board will put pressure back on the clubs to provide referee's.
Its a disgrace, I know a referee who referees senior footballl every week, and would gladly do juvenile matches, yet he says he has been given just one juvenile fixture this season! And he is not the only one.

Square Ball

Quote from: lfdown2 on August 15, 2008, 08:55:27 AM
squareball, if your interested u16 champ match, st marys v bredagh fixed for tomorrow at four has been postponed again, now fixed for tue eve in ballykinlar!!

yip, i am very interested in this one, thought it was in D Cross at 7
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

D4S

Sorted ;)

1/7 Burren  12/1   Attical  5/1
8/11 Burren -7 7/1 Attical +7 5/4

4/6 Castlewellan 6/1 Bryansford 11/8
1/4 Kilclief 8/1 Tecconaught 11/4
5/6 Kilclief -5 7/1 Tecconaught +5 5/6
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: D4S on August 15, 2008, 01:31:56 PM
Sorted ;)

1/7 Burren  12/1   Attical  5/1
8/11 Burren -7 7/1 Attical +7 5/4

4/6 Castlewellan 6/1 Bryansford 11/8
1/4 Kilclief 8/1 Tecconaught 11/4
5/6 Kilclief -5 7/1 Tecconaught +5 5/6

I knew you wouldnt let me down!

lfdown2

Quote from: Square Ball on August 15, 2008, 01:18:59 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on August 15, 2008, 08:55:27 AM

yip, i am very interested in this one, thought it was in D Cross at 7

we (st marys management) had been told 4pm, we rang brian kennedy last night as one of our lads is coming from an gaeltacht (who also came down the road on tue night only for us to be informed it was off!) and he got back to us this morning to tell us it was refixed again for tuesday in bkinlar!

D4S

This thread is seriously quiet this last while not much football chat!

Tonight surely Burren have to be way too strong for Attical, I'd say that handicap betting won't be too far away, attical will be doing well to keep the defeat to under double figures.  

The other game tonight Castlewellan versus Bryansford is a different kind of game altogether.  High flying division 2 leaders Bryansford versus mid-table division 1 castlewellan.  I fancy Bryansford here, Castlewellan will not like the 'slight' favorites tag going into this game, and it's hard to see a team who haven't been beaten all year being beaten in the championship, especially when that side is Bryansford who surely are out to prove a point this year that they were seriously ahrd done by to be relegated last year with I think 21points at the end of the season.  

Mayobridge should beat Clonduff although I'd say it will be a tight match until the last 10 when they up it a notch to win by5.  

Saval v Ballyholland is another tough one to call like Bryansford Castlewellan.  I'd go for Saval, who will be buoyed by their away win to us last weekend, beat us twice this year which was a big shock to be honest.  Hughes & Kearney back in the mix for Saval and Murtagh & Murphy back for Ballyholland these 2teams are really evenly matched, will be a cracker but I say Saval.

Kilcoo versus An Riocht will not be a foregone conclusion at all.  Kilcoo won't fancy this tie that much, and for all their great league form in the last decade, have never made it to the championship final when theyve been tipped nearly every year to get a run. An Riocht may be propping up the table but with CLarke, Colgan and Brendan McVeigh back in to the team they will be lifted for this tie, and Pete McGrath will have them highly motivated.  However Kilcoo should have too much for An Riocht overall and I expect a close tie with Kilcoo running out 3point winners.

Loughinisland and rostrevor is another evenly matched tie which I think Loughinisland will just shade.  They have been improving over the last couple of seasons, and although we beat them monday week ago they will lift themselves for this and Gordon should bring some of his county form to the table here.

Ballymartin and Downpatrick are no strangers to each other after last season meeting in the intermediate final and promotion playoffs.  Ballymartin owe Downpatrick for the final defeat as they were bitterly disappointed not to win it and I fancy Ballymartin to come through here as the hungrier side by 3points.

Finally our game against Liatroim.  This is so hard to call as I fear we may struggle to recapture our championship form from last year.  If we had Ambrose and Mark Poland playing I'd be very confident of another run, but it comes down to how the players heads are, have they got it in the back of their minds how can we go anywhere this year missing possibly our 2 best players.  With Michael Hggins out of the full back line also things aren't looking great.  Liatroim will also be gutted at the loss of Liam Doyle so perhaps their heads may not be fully focused either.  However we have men of resilience Mark Doran, Barry Kelly, Barry Doran, Ryan Kelly and young Conor Poland who will hopefully step up to the plate as they have been in previous games and 'hopefully' Longstone will shade it by a point or 2.

Bitta-Banter

Darragh Cross v Ardglass;
Whilst Darragh are capable of winning this competition, Ardglass are more likely to gett thrown out on disciplinary issues. This will be hard-hitting and competitive, but Darragh's class should see them through. Darragh by 5.(Wobbler)

Did the Wobbler watch the match last night and then travel back through time to make his prediction?cos he was absolutely spot on.Discipline again let Ardglass down,although a stronger ref would have had been ticking and booking them instead of just giving Darragh frees.I think there was only 3 players booked in the match and that is an unbelievable stat given some of the tackles that were goin in on a regular basis.
As the Wobbler predicted though Darraghs superior class came through with a great last 10 minutes.
Well done Wobbler!!