Banbridge v Warrenpoint; warrenpoint
Annaclone v Tullylish; Annaclone
Shamrocks v Saul; Shamrocks
Dundrum v Bredagh; Bredagh

JFC
Dromara v St John; St John
Glenn v St Michaels; glenn
Aughlisnafinn v Bright; Bright

What evidence is this based on? Surely Kilcoo, who are 2nd in the league, have beat Mayobridge recently, will win this match. An Riocht are having a horrible season.

general

Mayobridge, Banbridge and Glenn to win their respective Championships  ;)

bridgegael

Quote from: The Corporal on August 11, 2008, 01:32:35 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on August 11, 2008, 11:47:22 AM
My selection as below

SFC
Castlewellan v Bryansford; castlewellan
Burren v Attical; Burren
Mayobridge v Clonduff; Mayobridge
Liatroim v Longstone; Longstone
Saval v Ballyholland; ballyholland
Kilcoo v An Riocht; An Riocht
Loughinisland v Rostrevor; loughinisland
Ballymartin v Downpatrick; downpatrick

IFC;
Glasdrumman v St John Bosco; Glasdrumman
Darragh Cross v Ardglass; Ardglass
Kilclief v Teconnaught; Kilclief
Drumgath v Carryduff; Drumgath
Banbridge v Warrenpoint; warrenpoint

JFC
Glenn v St Michaels; glenn

What evidence is this based on? Surely Kilcoo, who are 2nd in the league, have beat Mayobridge recently, will win this match. An Riocht are having a horrible season.

league form goes out the window in championship,  now kingdom have full team back, wee pete will have them well drilled,  plus imo kingdom are better team!

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

off the laces

My predictions as below

SFC
Castlewellan v Bryansford; Bryansford
Burren v Attical; Burren
Saval v Ballyholland; Ballyholland
Kilcoo v An Riocht; Kilkoo
Loughinisland v Rostrevor; Rostrevor
Ballymartin v Downpatrick; Ballymartin

IFC;
Darragh Cross v Ardglass; DarraghCross
Banbridge v Warrenpoint; Banbridge

JFC
Glenn v St Michaels; St Micheals
Keeps 'er' straight

thewobbler

SFC
Castlewellan v Bryansford;
'Ford have beaten allcomers this season and have a great blend of youth and experience in a squad that's more than a match for Town. But while they've been leading the likes of Dundrum and Tullylish on a merry dance, Town have quietly been building one of the best organised and most consistent sides in the county; one of the few capable of beating Mayobridge. The only way prepare for the Championship is through Division I football, and I'd fancy Castlewellan by 5+.

Burren v Attical;
After last year's disaster in Division I, the men from the mountains have regrouped and are again playing well at Division II level. But unless somebody drives a bus through the Burren changing room and wipes out every defender all the way down to minor level, it's almost impossible to see how Attical's forwards will trouble their illustrious opponent's back line. Burren by 8.

Mayobridge v Clonduff;
We played Clonduff a week or two back and they were far from impressive, but in fairness to them, they have a confidence (arrogance even) about them that told you they were always going to win that match. To their credit, they do have a useful forward line who will do damage if the ball keeps coming in. But the yellas have had some terrible performances in the SFC in recent years, and it's difficult to see how their defence will contain a rampant Mayobridge side that's genuinely at full-strength in terms of personnel and fitness. Bridge's weak link is their midfield, but that won't matter. Mayobridge by 8.

Liatroim v Longstone;
This isn't as clearcut as some might think. Liatroim had a dreadful start to the season and will be without Liam Doyle for the rest of it, but the last month has seen a huge improvement in their performances. They are an ageing team and everyone knows that if you can contain the big three of McCrickard, McCartan and O'Prey, that you're on a winner. But containing them isn't easy. Especially so for Longstone, who for all their attacking prowess, are neither that strong or quick up the middle of defence, and are also without the inspirational Rogers. If 'Stone win 45% of ball in midfield, it should be enough to see them through, but I'm going for Liatroim by a point.

Saval v Ballyholland;
Division I strugglers face-off in a repeat of last year's Division II final. Saval were the better team that day, although the absence of Murtagh from Ballyholland's line-up shouldn't be understated. Saval are a good deal bigger than their opponents and in the form of Hughes, Fallon and Devlin have the pace to ruin a team when they get going. But Harps have gone since May more or less without a number of key players, all of whom should be available on Sunday, and this should help buck their form up a little. This should be very close. Ballyholland by 2.

Kilcoo v An Riocht;
On paper this shouldn't be much of a contest, as on league form An Riocht are struggling badly, Kilcoo and are flying high. For all that, John Clarke is possibly the single most important player to any club in the SFC, and his presence alone should be worth 8 points to the Dunavil men. Throw in a few from Killen, and a few more from the rest, and goal-happy Kilcoo are looking at around 13 points for victory. Will the Kingdom shut out the Magpies by that much? I can't see it. Kilcoo by 6+.

Loughinisland v Rostrevor;
For my money, Loughinisland have the squad, the key players, and the balance of players to challenge for the title outright. But the same could have been said for each of the past four seasons, and apart from one thumping of Ballyholland, the Blues have continually failed to deliver in the Championship. Rostrevor have a huge strength in depth - they've nearly always got players on their bench who would walk into most other teams - but they lack genuine stars, and also lack a settled team. In nearly dethroning the Mayobridge, the Reds showed in last year's first round that they can get up for the Championship, and that should swing this in their favour. Rostrevor by 1.

Ballymartin v Downpatrick;
With much better league form to call upon, much greater strength in depth to utilise, and star man Peter Fitpatrick back from injury, this really should be Ballymartin's day. But last year's IFC final should have been their day too, as should the final of two year's previous - except Downpatrick emerged victorious on both occasions. When put up against it, the Hoops are capable of gelling together a physically strong, athletic XV that know how to play football. There is still an arrogance based on past glories too, which counts for so much in tight games. Whether they can actually do this for Round One of a tournament they have no chance of winning is the big question. Ballymartin by 3.

IFC;
Glasdrumman v St John Bosco
Bosco aren't as bad as league form suggests, but they are a cut below the Annalong men still. Glasdrumman by 8.

Darragh Cross v Ardglass;
Whilst Darragh are capable of winning this competition, Ardglass are more likely to gett thrown out on disciplinary issues. This will be hard-hitting and competitive, but Darragh's class should see them through. Darragh by 5.

Kilclief v Teconnaught;
Teconnaught have a number of good players up the middle, but Kilclief's big, strong men should give them little or no room to practice their wares. Kilclief by 6.

Drumgath v Carryduff;
This could be a really good game, but it could also be a stinker as neither of these sides do the whole consistency things with any sort of consistency. Drumgath have a couple of fine individuals, but Duff's first choice XV is a bit stronger and better balances overall. Carryduff by 2, providing they actually take something resembling a first team along.

Banbridge v Warrenpoint;
Game of the round. Clann na Banna continue to improve every season under Tony Wilson, and most of Division II have now stopped thinking they're going to start slipping up, and stopped fingering their (albeit horrible) homefield advantage for their high position. Warrenpoint are rebuilding with a young team, but in the shape of the Boyle brothers, are always capable of scoring heavily enough to bother anyone at this level. This really is the acid test for Bann. Clann na banna by 1.  

Annaclone v Tullylish;
If they hit top gear at all, Annaclone should win this competition outright without killing themselves. Round One shouldn't even see them break sweat. Annalcone by 10.

Shamrocks v Saul;
Shamrocks have got over their dreadful start to the season. They'll not have it easy against a very competitive Saul side, but class should win through convincingly in the end. Shamrocks by 7.

Dundrum v Bredagh;
Demoralised Dundrum look all out of sorts in Division II, especially without wee McCumiskey. Bredagh have been knocking on Division II's door for a couple of years now, and this is time for them show they are capable of moving up. Breagh by 4.

JFC
Dromara v St Johns
St John's have been producing decent underage teams over the past few years, Dromara haven't. This should play out in this match. St John's by 6.

Glenn v St Michaels;
Probably the best two sides in the competition, and this could go to the wire. Glenn by 1.

Aughlisnafinn v Bright;
I'd put my house on Bright by double figures.

behind the wire

Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2008, 02:20:18 PM
SFC
Castlewellan v Bryansford;
'Ford have beaten allcomers this season and have a great blend of youth and experience in a squad that's more than a match for Town. But while they've been leading the likes of Dundrum and Tullylish on a merry dance, Town have quietly been building one of the best organised and most consistent sides in the county; one of the few capable of beating Mayobridge. The only way prepare for the Championship is through Division I football, and I'd fancy Castlewellan by 5+.

Burren v Attical;
After last year's disaster in Division I, the men from the mountains have regrouped and are again playing well at Division II level. But unless somebody drives a bus through the Burren changing room and wipes out every defender all the way down to minor level, it's almost impossible to see how Attical's forwards will trouble their illustrious opponent's back line. Burren by 8.

Mayobridge v Clonduff;
We played Clonduff a week or two back and they were far from impressive, but in fairness to them, they have a confidence (arrogance even) about them that told you they were always going to win that match. To their credit, they do have a useful forward line who will do damage if the ball keeps coming in. But the yellas have had some terrible performances in the SFC in recent years, and it's difficult to see how their defence will contain a rampant Mayobridge side that's genuinely at full-strength in terms of personnel and fitness. Bridge's weak link is their midfield, but that won't matter. Mayobridge by 8.

Liatroim v Longstone;
This isn't as clearcut as some might think. Liatroim had a dreadful start to the season and will be without Liam Doyle for the rest of it, but the last month has seen a huge improvement in their performances. They are an ageing team and everyone knows that if you can contain the big three of McCrickard, McCartan and O'Prey, that you're on a winner. But containing them isn't easy. Especially so for Longstone, who for all their attacking prowess, are neither that strong or quick up the middle of defence, and are also without the inspirational Rogers. If 'Stone win 45% of ball in midfield, it should be enough to see them through, but I'm going for Liatroim by a point.

Saval v Ballyholland;
Division I strugglers face-off in a repeat of last year's Division II final. Saval were the better team that day, although the absence of Murtagh from Ballyholland's line-up shouldn't be understated. Saval are a good deal bigger than their opponents and in the form of Hughes, Fallon and Devlin have the pace to ruin a team when they get going. But Harps have gone since May more or less without a number of key players, all of whom should be available on Sunday, and this should help buck their form up a little. This should be very close. Ballyholland by 2.

Kilcoo v An Riocht;
On paper this shouldn't be much of a contest, as on league form An Riocht are struggling badly, Kilcoo and are flying high. For all that, John Clarke is possibly the single most important player to any club in the SFC, and his presence alone should be worth 8 points to the Dunavil men. Throw in a few from Killen, and a few more from the rest, and goal-happy Kilcoo are looking at around 13 points for victory. Will the Kingdom shut out the Magpies by that much? I can't see it. Kilcoo by 6+.

Loughinisland v Rostrevor;
For my money, Loughinisland have the squad, the key players, and the balance of players to challenge for the title outright. But the same could have been said for each of the past four seasons, and apart from one thumping of Ballyholland, the Blues have continually failed to deliver in the Championship. Rostrevor have a huge strength in depth - they've nearly always got players on their bench who would walk into most other teams - but they lack genuine stars, and also lack a settled team. In nearly dethroning the Mayobridge, the Reds showed in last year's first round that they can get up for the Championship, and that should swing this in their favour. Rostrevor by 1.

Ballymartin v Downpatrick;
With much better league form to call upon, much greater strength in depth to utilise, and star man Peter Fitpatrick back from injury, this really should be Ballymartin's day. But last year's IFC final should have been their day too, as should the final of two year's previous - except Downpatrick emerged victorious on both occasions. When put up against it, the Hoops are capable of gelling together a physically strong, athletic XV that know how to play football. There is still an arrogance based on past glories too, which counts for so much in tight games. Whether they can actually do this for Round One of a tournament they have no chance of winning is the big question. Ballymartin by 3.

IFC;
Glasdrumman v St John Bosco
Bosco aren't as bad as league form suggests, but they are a cut below the Annalong men still. Glasdrumman by 8.

Whilst Darragh are capable of winning this competition, Ardglass are more likely to gett thrown out on disciplinary issues. This will be hard-hitting and competitive, but Darragh's class should see them through. Darragh by 5.

Kilclief v Teconnaught;
Teconnaught have a number of good players up the middle, but Kilclief's big, strong men should give them little or no room to practice their wares. Kilclief by 6.

Drumgath v Carryduff;
This could be a really good game, but it could also be a stinker as neither of these sides do the whole consistency things with any sort of consistency. Drumgath have a couple of fine individuals, but Duff's first choice XV is a bit stronger and better balances overall. Carryduff by 2, providing they actually take something resembling a first team along.

Banbridge v Warrenpoint;
Game of the round. Clann na Banna continue to improve every season under Tony Wilson, and most of Division II have now stopped thinking they're going to start slipping up, and stopped fingering their (albeit horrible) homefield advantage for their high position. Warrenpoint are rebuilding with a young team, but in the shape of the Boyle brothers, are always capable of scoring heavily enough to bother anyone at this level. This really is the acid test for Bann. Clann na banna by 1. 

Annaclone v Tullylish;
If they hit top gear at all, Annaclone should win this competition outright without killing themselves. Round One shouldn't even see them break sweat. Annalcone by 10.

Shamrocks v Saul;
Shamrocks have got over their dreadful start to the season. They'll not have it easy against a very competitive Saul side, but class should win through convincingly in the end. Shamrocks by 7.

Dundrum v Bredagh;
Demoralised Dundrum look all out of sorts in Division II, especially without wee McCumiskey. Bredagh have been knocking on Division II's door for a couple of years now, and this is time for them show they are capable of moving up. Breagh by 4.

JFC
Dromara v St Johns
St John's have been producing decent underage teams over the past few years, Dromara haven't. This should play out in this match. St John's by 6.

Glenn v St Michaels;
Probably the best two sides in the competition, and this could go to the wire. Glenn by 1.

Aughlisnafinn v Bright;
I'd put my house on Bright by double figures.

never thought i would see clann na banna being mentioned as potential intermediate championship winners. warrenpoint will be a tough one though. they are a good side, plus we havent had a game now for a couple of weeks so could be a bit rusty. most people (bar one or two) seem to be tipping the clann for victory which is never a good sign.

wobbler you would think to hear you we played on a donkey field. its too narrow but i wouldnt say it gives us a big advantage. it actually worked against us alot last year. terrible place to watch a match though.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

umpire

Current league form in Div one.
Last 5 games

P   W   D   L   Pts     SD   Teams   
5   4   0   1   8     21   Mayobridge   
5   3   1   1   7      1   Liatroim   
5   3   0   2   6     12   Kilcoo   6
5   3   0   2   6     11   Castlewellan
5   3   0   2   6     10   Burren   
5   3   0   2   6      0   Clonduff   
4   1   2   1   4     -3   Loughinisland
5   2   0   3   4   -13   Longstone   
4   1   1   2   3      1   Rostrevor   
5   1   1   3   3     -7   An Riocht   
4   1   0   3   2   -16   Saval   
4   0   1   3   1   -17   Ballyholland   

Two outstanding games
Rostrevor v Loughinisland
Ballyholland v Saval

DownFanatic

SFC

Bryansford v Castlewellan - Hard one to call. You'd be expecting the Town to be playing the better stuff at this stage. The Ford have coasted Division 2 and have been rarely challenged. However, winning is a habit and one which I can see the Ford maintaining. - Bryansford

Longstone v Liatroim - Id expect the Stone to come unstuck in this one. Ambrose is a monumental loss and the Stone will have no one to contend with O'Prey. Liatroim's confidence is up and I can see them progressing. - Liatroim

Burren v Atticall - Burren should win this one with some to spare. Having James McGovern back is a big plus. Atticall wont have the defenders or attackers capable of holding or threatening the Division 1 side. - Burren

Mayobridge v Clonduff - Wee buns for the Bridge. The margin of victory could be big. Benny and co to triumph again. - Mayobridge.

Ballymartin v Downpatrick - Ballymartin have a fantastic chance of taking the Hoops this time around. They'll need to be at full tilt though. Revenge has to come sometime and Ballymartin's greater hunger will see them through. - Ballymartin

Loughinisland v Rostrevor - Hope Rostrevor beat them but with Dan Gordon in sublime form at the moment I can see the Island emerging. They been generally quite good this year and Rostrevor's lack of a marquee player may see them fall short. - Loughinisland.

Saval v Ballyholland. - Makings of a tight one. The Holland have Murphy and Murtagh in their ranks but Saval should have a clear cut plan which could see them advance. - Saval

An Riocht v Kilcoo - Kilcoo arent a great Championship team. An Riocht are no big shakes. The Magpies should be too pacey in defence and lethal in the forwards. - Kilcoo

IFC

Kilclief v Teconnaught - Easy one for the coasters. They'll be too big and too clever. - Kilclief

Banbridge v Warrenpoint - Banbridge are very well drilled and organised and ive seen both teams in the past couple of weeks. The Point have found a gem in McGarry and Gary Boyle is seriously underated. I just cant see the Banbridge defence coping and the Point are starting to get their act together. - Warrenpoint.

Dundrum v Bredagh - We usually have the upper hand over Bredagh in crunch games, namely the 2005 JFC Semi Final and last year's Division 3 promotion playoffs. However, we are not high on confidence at the moment and this game probably presents Bredagh with a hell of a chance of taking us. - Dundrum

Annaclone v Tullylish - Tullylish are away to fcuk as one of their boys said and Annaclone should take this one without breaking much sweat. With the Farrells and Brendan McArdle to return I really fancy the Clone to be outright winners of the IFC. - Annaclone

Shamrocks v Saul - Nice draw for the Newry men. Should be a good confidence booster for them. - Shamrocks

Drumgath v Carryduff - Drumgath are in transition but can still pack a punch. Carryduff have too many nancy boys and I dont think they will have the guts for a Drumgath raid. - Drumgath

Glasdrumman v Bosco - Bosco are unpredictable. Glassdrumman are a handy enough prospect at this level. The Mourne men should advance but this could be a lot tighter than expected. - Glasdrumman

Darragh Cross v Ardglass - Intriguing game. Ardglass have improved vastly this year but with 6 or 7 players returning from work in the Isle of Man on the day of the game, Darragh must fancy their chances. The Cross are a more settled team and counter attack well. - Darragh Cross

JFC

Glenn v St Michaels - Glenn are poor and lack a real scoring threat. St Michaels have just that in Lavery and Brian Sweeney. The Magheralin men will win this. - St Michaels.

Bright v Aughlisnafin. - The Finn to take an early one point lead before Bright romp home to win by at least 15. - Bright

St Johns v Dromara - Duck Bell has done a great job in improving Dromara's fortunes and this game will have a derby intensity. The Johnnies are on an up and simply they have the better players. Tight one. - St Johns.

No1

QuoteThe only prediction I'll make is that Kilclief will beat Teconnaught.

Just for you Number 1.

You f**ker!   ;D

For what it's worth.....

SFC
Castlewellan v Bryansford; The Ford
Burren v Attical; Burren
Saval v Ballyholland; Draw
Ballymartin v Downpatrick; Please God Ballymartin

IFC;
Kilclief v Teconnaught; No comment
Banbridge v Warrenpoint; The Point
Shamrocks v Saul; Shamrocks by a landslide

JFC
Dromara v St Johns; St Johns, if there are no weddings in the parish
Glenn v St Michaels; Draw

Leg End

Quote from: No1 on August 11, 2008, 07:50:10 PM
QuoteThe only prediction I'll make is that Kilclief will beat Teconnaught.

Just for you Number 1.

You f**ker!   ;D

For what it's worth.....

SFC
Castlewellan v Bryansford; The Ford
Burren v Attical; Burren
Saval v Ballyholland; Draw
Ballymartin v Downpatrick; Please God Ballymartin

IFC;
Kilclief v Teconnaught; No comment
Banbridge v Warrenpoint; The Point
Shamrocks v Saul; Shamrocks by a landslide
JFC
Dromara v St Johns; St Johns, if there are no weddings in the parish
Glenn v St Michaels; Draw

Just a couple i disagree with here

Think this one will def go to the cross. ALthough ardglass are going strong in div 3, darragh are making a very good account of themselves in div2 and play much better football. Ardglass will put it up to them and wouldn't be suprised to see 1or2 red'd for either team but think darragh will come out on top on the score board
Darragh by 4

Kilclief v Teconnaught;
I take it your a teconnaught man. Teconnaught will suffer with the loss of a few players but think either way this one would have went to kilcief either way but with a full team teconnaught maybe could have give them a go and stopped an embarrassing score. The young lad bosco(or summat like that) is a livewire that teconnaught miss.
Kilcief by 10

Banbridge v Warrenpoint;
Absolute corker of a draw. THink these two teams would have had a great chance at reaching the final had they not met till then, i think banbridge will win this clash but it will be a close one. Banbridge by 1 or 2

Shamrocks v Saul;
Having talked to a former manager i hear Saul are suffering at the loss of 4or5 (one cornerback, halfback, midfield, and full forward) key first team players otherwise i think they could have give this match a real go allbeit with their poor championship record. The shamrocks should come out on top but think the landslide is unfair. Was also talking to a 'experienced' ;) ;D glassdrumman player and he informed me that saul put up an outstanding battle against them which could have went either way and glassdrumman are a strong outfit. ALthough shamrocks have been gaining momentum recently. Shamrocks by 5

Dundrum v Bredagh;
Bredagh are a very hot and cold team and just couldnt be sure that they will perform on the day. I agree If they dundrum will find it hard to beat them. Although dundrum aren't going that well in div 2 i think the fact that they are coming up against tough opposition week in week out, they will be able to expose the weaknesses of bredagh. They will also know from playing against bredagh last year that jody gormley is their danger man, and not that he scores a great deal he supplies the majority of the scores and if he is stopped so will bredagh be
we're here for a good time, not a long time

behind the wire

is there anywhere that does online betting for the down championship games?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

No1

QuoteI take it your a teconnaught man.

Nope, just a worried Cill Cleithe man.

And that was before the wobbler gave us the kiss of death.  ::)

amallon

My predictions as below

SFC
Castlewellan v Bryansford; Ford
Burren v Attical; Burren
Saval v Ballyholland; Ballyholland
Loughinisland v Rostrevor; Loughinisland
Ballymartin v Downpatrick; Ballymartin

IFC;
Darragh Cross v Ardglass; Darragh Cross
Banbridge v Warrenpoint; Banbridge

JFC
Dromara v St John; St Johns
Glenn v St Michaels; Glenn
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

guevara

Not too many on here giving the Point a chance for Saturday night!

I believe a few people may be suprised come the weekend ! Im going for the Point by at least 4!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Dannymcfella

Quote from: guevara on August 12, 2008, 01:43:04 PM
Not too many on here giving the Point a chance for Saturday night!

I believe a few people may be suprised come the weekend ! Im going for the Point by at least 4!!

You havin been readin the thread much have you, the is a good few people who said they fancied the point to win. It will be a tight match so opinion will be split, but it seems to be even enough as to who every1 fancies. Don't think anyone would be surprised if the point won, as everyone who has commented on it has said how tight a game it will be