Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

It's hardly surprising to find your half-back line struggling when you are being cleaned out at midfield. McGuigan is pretty clearly not a defender anyway, and Murphy was disappointing against Wexford by his usual high standards. That left Carr to try and hold the line together, and he did a decent job in difficult circumstances. Criticising him for missing one free when he has put over 23 others in his last five games is a bit rich. After Dan, he has probably been our player of the season.

Down Gael

Got to agree with Uladh, Carr looks more like a half forward than a half back. The problem with the current panel is that we have 29 forwards and only 1 back.

islandboy

mourne rover - next best player to dan? are you serious?carr was lucky to be on the pitch after first half in omagh. had a good game in replay, against armagh he was terrible, against offally Dj could have played well, against laois he did very little bar frees and against wexford he was woeful.   you must have been watching  different games to me.

the milkman

Quote from: islandboy on August 07, 2008, 05:05:01 PM
mourne rover - next best player to dan? are you serious?carr was lucky to be on the pitch after first half in omagh. had a good game in replay, against armagh he was terrible, against offally Dj could have played well, against laois he did very little bar frees and against wexford he was woeful.   you must have been watching  different games to me.

Think you are being extremely harsh on Carr, only his 2nd season in county football 1st year he played CHF. this year he played WHB. then when Doyle went out injured he moved in to CHB.  I was very impressed with him at WHB.

amallon

Carr done very well this year and was one of our better players.  He should have a long future ahead in a Down jersey.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Our Nail Loney

Far too much criticism of Carr on here. As millkman has said its only his second full season, and has to be remembered he was away for the start of the season as well so had to catch up on the months of work the rest of the squad had put in.

I would say that after dan, and benny in glimpses, he would be the next best player this season.

his record from frees speaks for itself, and even the best will put a few wide, you cant hit them all

his play as well was much improved this year, he has always been a classy well composed footballer and showed it this year, a good understanding had started to develop between him and doyle until he got injured. He will be in a down shirt for years to come thats for sure.

BRIDGE LAD

Think Carr is getting alot of criticism here, he had played well again Tyrone twice at wing half back, had two great games against Offaly & Laois! He might have had a bad day on sat but he is still a good option at wing half back! He was the only one trying his hardest to get the ball in to Benny! But it goes back to the way Benny was being marked, he was being doubled teamed for the whole first half and when Down changed it at half time they reverted to running at the Wexford defence and not putting the long ball in! 

McGuigan is def a weak link, watched the game on setanta the other night, he gave away 5 balls in a row and lost posession three times from a tackle. Still cant believe there was 5 Shamrocks men on the panel, well 4 and Brendy Loughran!
Kevin Duffin def an option for centre half or left half back, watched him again the bridge last thurs night, very impressed by him big strong lad, both footed and a good head on his shoulders! (Just needs a haircut)

Still think Down had a good enough season, gives them something to build on for next year, still a young team remember!
Luke howard has to be the find of the year, another one or two nice finds next year and we'll be flying!

Oh aye, we forgot about McComiskey, he would have been an option on sat! Although when you cant get the ball into Clarke or Coulter he prob wouldn't have counted!

So lets be on the lookout for a few half forwards! :D :D

mixer boy

is there any word of when the draw is for the minor championships. A and B

Our Nail Loney

Was there really 5 shamrocks players?!

:o

DJ needs to take of those tinted glasses and wise himself up.

Mourne Rover

As far as I know, there were three Shamrocks players on the championship panel of 30 - the two Raffertys and McGuigan. There were also a number of players on stand-by, including Davey.

It's a bit difficult to believe that posters on this board are ready to have a go at Aidan Carr, but I suppose that goes with the territory when your father is the manager. He did struggle in the first half in Omagh, like every other Down player, but he settled after the break and was excellent in the replay. I thought he did reasonably well against Armagh, on a day when the suspension of Cole and the injury to Doyle left us even more vulnerable than usual at the back. He was impressive against Offaly and most people believe he also did very well when we were under intense pressure against Laois. I reckon he was our best player by a distance against Wexford.

However, the question for Islandboy is this. If Carr was not one of our two best performers this summer, then who, apart from Dan, had a better season than he did ? 

Our Nail Loney

Its just typical the way sons of managers get treated, sure the kernans were no good til big joe left!

The amount of players that did badly for down this year and aidan is singled out, get a grip island boy

centre 3/4s

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 07, 2008, 06:59:39 PM
Was there really 5 shamrocks players

It is hard to believe concidering shamrocks are shite

corn02

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 07, 2008, 08:13:25 PM
Its just typical the way sons of managers get treated, sure the kernans were no good til big joe left!

The amount of players that did badly for down this year and aidan is singled out, get a grip island boy

That is not really the story with the Kernans ONL, it was a bit more complex than that.

Downs three best players this year in order:
1 - Gordon
2- Coulter
3- Carr.

Mourne Rover

Coulter had a good season, with another four goals (and five assists) to add to his outstanding championship record. It did not really happen for him against Armagh, and we could not get the ball to him in the Wexford match. Luke Howard also did very well, although his first half in Omagh and his second half in Croke Park showed his inexperience.  Carr was probably just a little more consistent than either of them and his free-taking was top drawer. However, there's no doubt that Dan was the man this summer. It's just a pity that he could not find his best form on the biggest stage. He would not have won an All Star, but he probably lost the chance of a nomination as a result of the Wexford game. With a bit of luck, he might at least get the Ulster equivalent. Carr and Coulter should be in the reckoning there as well.

islandboy

mourne rover - ambrose had an excellent year as well as did luke howard bar saturday. not picking on carr because he is managers son . i just dont think he is a defender and could not believe ross played him centre half back. if playing him in defence he should play wing half and murphy should have been centre half back. still think grant is as good as any of them but that is for another day. actually think carr is  a good player but as i stated in my first post , not a no 6.