Aughlisnafin - Joe Scullion
Ballykinlar - Hankie Curran
Dromara
Drumaness -Liam McKenna
Killyleagh - John Keenan
St. John's - Paul Kelly
St. Michael's

behind the wire

any word on division 4 this year? is it going to stay the same?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

MadMick007

Has anyone heard the team for the Hurlers match against Laois? This will be a good test for he new management in a number of ways. Firstly what team will they pick as a number of the top players are injured and so does he bring in the ones that aren't to chase the win or will be be consistent and play only those who train? This match may set the tone for the rest of the season. Maybe Gerard needs to adopt Ross's approach and provide matches for fringe players. Interesting

johnneycool

With Magic, Dule and McGourty all out of contention for one reason or another I can't see the forwards being anything other than lightweight with no real ball winners to fall back on, so it'll be interesting to see whether they throw Gazza up to full forward.

IMO Gazza should of had enough gumption to call it a day, but now that he's there I can't see Gerard not playing him especially with a weakened squad. To play him at centre back is a total waste as we need to be planning for the summer months and using this years NHL campaign to find a young settled squad with centre back needing addressed ASAP.

Young Courtney is my preferred choice provided he speeds up his hurling and the NHL Div1 is as good a place as any to do that. Second choice is big Aaron, a hugely underestimated hurler but needs to sort out his fitness. Simon Wilson is too one sided and can only be played on the RHS of defence, Gabriel Clarke is too light and doesn't have the physical presence to stop the runners coming from midfield.

Andy Bell if he bothers his arse has the talent but seems to lack application, Finty Conway has that bit of divilment which IMO the Down team has missed especially when lying down tamely to Antrim in recent years and he should get a run.

I really don't have a baldy who you'd play in number 11 as I don't see anyone even close to filling the role and BA won't be available until the summer due to his soccer commitments.

No1

"Bit of divilment" is as fine a description I have heard regarding Finty's playing style!

I wouldn't be surprised if Ciaran Sloan is thrown the No 11 jersey.

JC, you must have been speaking to Gazza or else he reads this board, he has jacked it in after all!

johnneycool

Quote from: No1 on January 18, 2007, 05:26:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ciaran Sloan is thrown the No 11 jersey.

JC, you must have been speaking to Gazza or else he reads this board, he has jacked it in after all!

He allegedly jacked it in after the friendly against Antrim on saturday.

Every dog has his day and Gazza was some dog in his day.

He should of hung up the boots the year that we won the Div 2 title and took Antrim to a replay even with Dule missing in the Ulster final.

After that Dinny Cahill began to expose his mobility in centre back and he was badly found out in the Christy Ring final against Westmeath a few years back.

He must of been playing intercounty hurling for near on 16 years which is some going in anybodys language.

The takings in JG's will be up this winter  ;D

I can't say I've ever seen Ciaran Sloan play so I can't comment on him but maybe I'll get a good close look later on in the year in the Down league.

P.S. Is Jimmy O'Reilly in charge of the Kilclief hurlers this year?

Lecale2

Isn't Ciaran Sloan the lad known as Rosie who usually plays mid field? Decent player. Finty is a fine hurler. I seen him several times last year and he can hurl well & look after himself.
Jimmy O'Reilly was with Ballela last year. They had their worst season for a few years. It was more to do with retirements and work commitments than Jimmy's coaching but I'm not surprised to hear he has moved on, (if he has).

Cloc Mor

How many will travel to Ballybofey tomorrow?  Very few I would imagine.  While its great to see Carr/Kane trying to unearth new talent, I really feel this process is going to come against us.  How many do the hope to 'unearth'?  The best Down players to be seen in the first two games of the Mc Kenna Cup were playing for UUJ last week.  Nearly 30 players may now be sent back to their clubs, with their tails between their legs, as not being good enough.  The 'spice boys' of Down football will now see this as an affirmation that the are indispensable and cannot be done without, even though the have failed to make any progress under four years of POR.  At this moment in time we have a unstable, unfit and unprepared team for the National League.  Carr wants to stay in Division 1.  Not based on this he ain't.

Cloc Mor

I, too, would be happy with 2nd Division football next year, but while I respect what Ross/DJ have done I still believe that we are ill-prepared for the National League.  Too many 'established' county players have been living on the past reputations (for all they are worth) and the 'spice boy' tag attached to many is very hard to shake off.  The have been living in this comfort zone and its not just the so-called '1st 15' but guys who aren't even prepared to knuckle down with their clubs.  Too many take this 'prima donna' attitude back to their clubs which causes resentment.  I still hope that Ross/DJ can inspire our lads - we don't half need it.

uselessfootballer

I hear the game tomorrow has been switched to Ballyshannon

passedit

Travel plans revised then UF? No trip to Breffni?

Sense prevails at last.

form is temporary class is permanent.  ;D
Don't Panic

uselessfootballer

Had no plans for a game this w/e passedit.
My wee brother texted me with the news on the donegal game.
He keeps winding me up that my aligance will change because of my location.

Cloc Mor

So you were a useless footballer before you came to Down not because you came to Down.

uselessfootballer

Was born a uselessfootballer but I would argue with passedit that I fit in better in Down