Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

You are correct Aidan, and all credit to all those who do that great work. But that is a side issue.  The origianal point I was making was that the PRO would  have known about McCommiskeys injury as he would have been involved in the need to keep it quiet for so long.  So when the news broke, it was either with the CB blessing, or they endorsed it immediately afterwards. That is what makes this other version of it, in another paper, so strange.  Am I wrong to assume that the CB PRO knows what is going on with the county team?

Down Gael

amallon, its as time consuming as you make it. I run a company website and a motoring forum not dissimilar to this one, though I have plenty of help on the motoring forum. I think that is the problem, the man running the Down website has probably too many jobs to do and the website isnt at the top of his list. Maybe funding should be provided seperately for this job. With the proper structures in place the job of running the Down website should be a doddle. For many people www.downgaa.net is the first port of call for info on all things related to Down GAA and its a bit of a let down. Its rarely updated, patchy when it is updated and is in need of a revamp.
Someone is doing a good job on the Mayobridge site, maybe they could lend a hand  ;)

Bitta-Banter

All-County Fixtures after holidays.

Friday July 25th: Series 14

Tuesday July 29th: Series 13

Friday August 1st: Series 15

amallon

Down Gael - I've heard on the grapevine that there are major improvements in the county website in the offing.  AFAIK there will be an automated results system which will be fed by referee's via text message and the county website will automatically update itself.   Anyone who is involved in delivering computer systems like this should know how time consuming it is, I'd bet there are a number of people putting in serious hours on this so I'd ask that they be cut some slack while this work is in progress.  I'm sure they have spent a fair amount of money on this new functionality but I'd be against going overboard on the spending on the website.  Would you rather they spent the money on games development or on the website?  Don't get me wrong the website is important but not near as important as putting money into underage development.   In fairness there aren't many county sites which carry as much info as the Down site and also they allow people to send in reports photos etc which do get put up. 

Western Gael - Why should the PRO know whats going on with McComiskey?  It's an internal team matter.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

dodgy umpire

carryduff website is one of the best ive seen, has all the fixtures/results/tables etc.
The Boys in Red and Black are back

western exile

Quote from: amallon on July 15, 2008, 03:18:30 PM

Western Gael - Why should the PRO know whats going on with McComiskey?  It's an internal team matter.

Because his role is a conduit to the press for the team.  All year he has been quoted in the papers with the news that the team had released.  e.g. Liam Doyle's injury.   I am only asking, which version of the story is the official one as far as the County  (board/PRO/team) is concerned?

amallon

Maybe the team management didn't want it in the open??  We have a big game against Offaly at the weekend, its certainly a boost to them.  I'd have no problem if they tried to keep it under wraps for a while.   
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

st pauls mcgrath

this messageboard gets mighty dull when theres a break in fixtures.......
Down by birth....St.Pauls by the grace of god

spiritof91and94

Quote from: amallon on July 15, 2008, 12:30:48 PM
Running a club website is a time consuming job Down Gael, can you imagine what its like to run a county website?  I'd suggest not knocking it until you've tried it. 

Does anyone know the job description of our new county secretary, for 40K + per annum surely he could update the website..... ;)

DownFanatic

Bright tanked Aughlisnafin 4-11 to 1-04 in the 2nd Quarter Final of the Connolly Cup last night.

stpauls

Quote from: off the laces on July 09, 2008, 08:32:57 AM
Quote from: stpauls on July 08, 2008, 09:29:00 AM
Quote from: passedit on June 19, 2008, 04:50:06 PM
Now that the leagues are half way through could someone enlighten me as to the mechanism for promotion and relegation from division three. I've been told that there will be no playoffs with the bottom three going down and the top two up. surely this would be grossly unfair to drumgath especially, or is this the CO board's way of sticking two fingers up at them for last years debacle?

just to answer this passedit, here is what the county board has to say on the matter:

(b)   Relegation from Divisions 1, 2 and 3 will be determined on a round   robin basis involving the bottom four teams in each of these Divisions following completion of the ordinary round of leagues.  Two teams will be relegated each year.  An exception will apply in 2008 when three teams will be relegated from Division 3.

(c)       Promotion from Divisions 2 and 3 will be determined on a round robin basis involving the top four teams in each of these Divisions following completion of the ordinary round of leagues. Two teams will be promoted each year.  There shall be no play-offs to determine promotion from Division 4, with the top two teams after the ordinary round of league games being deemed winners and runners-up respectively.  Both these teams will be promoted.
St pauls is this the last word on this issue by the county board, it is definetly not going to be 5 playoff with 3 going down, as 3 out off 4 is pretty tough going and could run on for a couple off rounds.

sorry OTL, been off the radar for the last week or so. with the CB, you never know but this was what it said in the official document send to the club from them.

southdown

Maybe these stories have been put out so that AFL sides become less interested?

D4S

Southdown you're a smart cookie indeed ;)!!! Feck off back to Australia and stop tempting our good players away...although I don't blame any young fella going when/if the opportunity arises!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

corn02

Are club fixtures off because of the qualifiers?

Lecale2

Has anyone details of the Minor Football Championship Q/F draw. I heard that Bredagh got An Riocht.