Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

I all makes sense now, that he has not been starting like many of us were shouting for.  Hopefully he can make a full recovery. At least he has youth on his side.

Mourne Rover

The McComiskey injury, assuming it is confirmed, would be a hammer blow on the scale of Doyle's loss. The big hope was that McComiskey would deliver as a scoring forward in partnership with Benny this summer. Unfortunately, the rest of our forwards have managed embarrassingly poor returns in the three championship games so far. We might just get out of Tullamore, but it is very difficult to see us going much further in the qualifiers without McComiskey. He is also a fine free-taker, as is Doyle, so our options there have become limited as well. There is a good case for bringing back Walsh on the bench at least. His form has been patchy at best over the last couple of seasons,and he could not complaint about being dropped, but, on a good day, he can take a couple of scores and set up a few more. He is also decent with frees, and would have a lot of prove, so we would have little to lose by a recall.

leftbacksubbench

Paul McCumiskeys injury will come as a sorry blow to the already struggling Dundrum. What are they going to do with out their star player, they have already started to make some changes that forward line from the last couple of match reports that i have seen, but can they really survive without a player with as much influence as McCumiskey?

amallon

Check out this footage of Mayobridge vs what looks like Kilcoo from the 1950's.  The game is played in the field where Lisbane terrace not stands.  Its football but not as we know it!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kP_80hZOWL8
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

DownFanatic

Teconnaught had a big win over St Johns in the 1st Quarter Final of the Ballykinlar GFC Connolly Cup tonight.

Mourne Rover

DownFanatic, any more word on McComiskey ?

Square Ball

Quote from: DownFanatic on July 14, 2008, 09:57:54 PM
St Johns had a big win over Teconnaught in the 1st Quarter Final of the Ballykinlar GFC Connolly Cup tonight.

DF, who are the other teams in it this year?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

dundrumite

Quote from: Square Ball on July 14, 2008, 10:44:44 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on July 14, 2008, 09:57:54 PM
St Johns had a big win over Teconnaught in the 1st Quarter Final of the Ballykinlar GFC Connolly Cup tonight.

DF, who are the other teams in it this year?

Finn Bright Tuesday
Ballykinlar St Pats Lisburn??? wednesday
Ardglass Drumaness Thursday

goldenyears

Gall's turn to McCartan GAA Sidelines
By Staff Reporter
15/07/08

FORMER Down All-Ireland winner James

McCartan could be appointed as the new senior football manager of St Gall's later this week. It is understood the Burren clubman has held talks with the Antrim champions and is likely to

succeed Paul Duffin, who stepped down last week for personal reasons.

McCartan had a successful managerial spell with his home club Burren and guided Queen's to the Sigerson Cup a couple of seasons ago.

Paul has a chance

DOWN'S attacking ace Paul McComiskey may yet play some part in this weekend's All-Ireland

Qualifier against Offaly at Tullamore, despite reports of a back injury.

The Dundrum clubman went for an MRI scan last Thursday, but played around 30 minutes for Down against Monaghan in a challenge game the following evening. Physios are closely monitoring McComiskey's injury, but the 20-year-old could still play a role against the Faithful county.

Meanwhile, Martin Cole returns from suspension after serving a one-month ban that saw him miss two Ulster Championship games.

Benny hits top form
BENNY Coulter appears to have hit a rich vein of form ahead of Down's make-or-break All-Ireland Qualifier with Offaly. The Mayobridge attacker grabbed three goals during the Mournemen's challenge game with Monaghan last weekend, which finished in a draw (3-11 to 0-17).

Coulter was well-shackled by Armagh's Ciaran McKeever during their Ulster SFC semi-final clash a couple of weeks ago.

western exile

Goldenyears, which paper are those extracts from?

upthehoops

They look like inside page of todays Irish News

Our Nail Loney

I suppose James would have the know how with managing McGourty anyway from when he stripped the captaincy off him at queens!!

western exile

something troubles me about this whole McComiskey story. Perhaps posters who know the workings of the county board better than me can explain  ???

The story "broke" in the Sunday Tribune in an article by the journalist Terry McLaughlin
http://www.tribune.ie/sport/gaelic-football/article/2008/jul/13/severe-injury-for-down-star/

After that I would have expected the Down County PRO to either confirm or deny the story. But instead, we get the some story posted verbatim on the Down website (which is maintained by the County PRO) http://www.downgaa.net/downgaa/general/news/2008/july/july13th4.htm

Now, another newspaper (presumably Irish News) has a conflicting report. It brings up a number of questions...
Which story is correct?
Are the CB endorsing the original version by the tribune since they have posted in on their website?
If so, why was he playing in the challenge game?
Did they supply the paper with the information in the first instance?
What sources are the Irish News using for their story?

Down Gael

Western Exile, the Down website has been copying articles from other sources for years. I would say 90% of the info on it comes from one website or other, be that BBC, UTV or Irish News. Its a lazy attitude to running the website, an attitude that is seen all to often with the county board. Now that they have internet acces maybe someone could buy them a diary and sort out the club fixtures  ;) you`d think Ulstermen would know when the July holidays began.  ::)

amallon

Running a club website is a time consuming job Down Gael, can you imagine what its like to run a county website?  I'd suggest not knocking it until you've tried it. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.