Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

off the laces

Quote from: thewobbler on July 03, 2008, 09:25:03 AM
I think we're getting the wrong end of the stick with the All County Reserves. Combining them with Divisions 4 and most of Division 3 would reduce the standard of football, and should be avoided...they're better preparation for players wanting to play Senior Division I the way they are. Just because they are stuck with the moniker "Reserve" doesn't make the football bad.

Wobb would you prefer the word DEVOLOPMENT instead off reserve
Keeps 'er' straight

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on July 02, 2008, 07:04:05 PM
A shake up in the league structure is needed for sure. All ACPRL1 teams and half of ACPRL2 teams would easily compete in Div 3 and some would challenge well in Div 1/2..

The Antrim league is set up this way and they have 6 divisions, allowing most teams to find their competitive level..Our Div 4 is a joke now and clubs like us would dread being back down there.

Sorry, disagree 100%.

As others have said, having separate match times allows the senior subs to play for the 2nds, which is the objective.

Even if it was split Div 1, 2 & 3 on fri nights, with 4, 5, 6 and 7 on sundays, you'll find a few of the stronger clubs with division 3 2nds teams - and then players will suffer through being on the senior panel, but not on the team.

With regards competitive level, doubtful, a big match for the 2nds coming up (against a rival)? Draft in a few more seniors to ensure the win.

Without doubt, one thing we should not be looking to emulate is the league structure of one of the worst run counties in Ireland.
i usse an speelchekor

johnneycool

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 03, 2008, 09:38:45 AM

Without doubt, one thing we should not be looking to emulate is the league structure of one of the worst run counties in Ireland.

You obviously know more than me but i can only say that the Antrim div1 hurling has reverted back to a senior and reserve on the same day, mostly sundays and its a power of good for club hurling, better crowds, better standard of competitive hurling, so i wouldn't go berating them so much when a lot of our leagues are a bigger shambles.

thewobbler

Just got a text from a reliable source that Doyler needs a knee op and won't be playing again this year  :(

goldenyears

just been told it's a cruciate ligament, and he is gone for 12 mths...

i would wonder if he will be back ever....

such a shame cos he worked his balls off this year to get back and he is a class act!

5 Sams

Thats a f**king disaster lads....feel really sorry for the lad...as Goldenyears said...some talent and has had no luck at all.
The Aristocrat Years

Super Dupe

Thats desperate news about Doyle.  He really did work hard this year to get himself back to his best.  A great player when in full flow and i dont know if we can replace that sort of player!!!

On the club minor championship, we relinquished our crown last night to Bryansford, but not without an great battle.  They won by 9 in the end but that was after scoring 1-2 in the final 3 minutes.  We got our keeper sent off after 5 minutes but it did not effect the 1st half where it was 1-3 to 1-2 at half time for the Ford.  In the second half, they moved the spare man out around the middle and this was a smart move.   They were able to offload the ball and get overlaps, which wasnt happening 1st half, and they looked a far better side for it in the 2nd half.  
There was no doubting Bryansford were a better team, but it was one of those games were you were still proud of your team due to the effort they put in.  We are currently bottom of the South Down minor league Div 1 so it was not expected that we would put up much resistance against such a good team, but we did.
Good luck to Bryansford who are a good side and came through a tough game.

downredblack

Terrible news , must be heartbreaking for him after working so hard to get back from the last injury . Huge loss to Down football .

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Square Ball on July 02, 2008, 10:42:11 PM

Bredagh beat Ballymartin tonight by 7 i think

bredagh won by 10.
newry shamrocks and kilcoo went through aswell
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Square Ball

Quote from: dodgy umpire on July 03, 2008, 11:59:00 AM
Quote from: Square Ball on July 02, 2008, 10:42:11 PM

Bredagh beat Ballymartin tonight by 7 i think

bredagh won by 10.
newry shamrocks and kilcoo went through aswell

diddnt realise it was by that many
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

downredblack

Is Declan Rooney out for the rest of the yr ?

Leo

Quote from: thewobbler on July 03, 2008, 10:34:16 AM
Just got a text from a reliable source that Doyler needs a knee op and won't be playing again this year  :(

Be very surprised to see Doyle back in the Down jerseay after this set-back, but hope I am wrong.
The only option for Ross now with an even weaker defence is to bite the bullet - Colgan to full back, and I'd play Murphy at no.6.
Worth looking at Duffin for the wing position.
Fierce tame altogether

thewobbler

I wouldn't be surprised if Dan McCartan ended up at no 6. It would be a drastic change from having a playmaker there, but he at least would have the diligence to play the position. Others to consider would be McKernan (as long as Offaly's centre-forward isn't a dynamo) or Rafferty (as long as Offaly's centre-forward isn't a big fella).

Duffin would be interesting, but it's not the time for drafting players into the panel.

I wouldn't move Murph or Carr from the wing-back spots. Neither got fully going in an attacking sense against Armagh, but they were joint leaders in breaking-ball (4 each), and you could hardly describe Vernon or O'Rourke's influence on the game as strong, so they did their job in defence.

corn02

Well O'Rourke only played for half a game like.

thewobbler