Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: T O Hare on July 02, 2008, 02:11:41 PM
Stumbled across the Glenn and st Paul's game last night, was n't a bad match!!! shooting was Nt great but their was no lacking of guts and determination!!!! I thought Glenn deserved something from the game!!!! But i was impressed with the grey haired st Paul's midfielder and the centre half forward... I honestly would expect our seconds team to beat both team(hope that dos nt sound patronising)

Brendan Grant would be my man on the panel ;)

It does Tom it does. But you're right, as a matter of fact i'd expect your seconds to beat any side in div 3 and a few in 2 n'all. The sun making an appearance directly behind the Glenn goals in the second half did nothing for St Pauls' shooting but both sides took a few good ones in the first half. The grey lad has an AI medal in his back pocket so ye'd expect him to be handy at that level while the CHF would be senior standard if he'd give up that oul groundball nonsense.(and practise his solo instead)
Don't Panic

T O Hare

Sorry for that then ;D its in the blood i guess :L i think that inside of ACPRL we should have  ACL div 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and then Ed and Sd reserve leagues
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Super Dupe

Tom i agree with your points on ACPRL to a degree.  Although we (Rostrevor) are not having a great year this year in the reserves, for a number of years there, ourselves, Kilcoo, the Bridge, and back a while Clonduff and An Riocht could have competed right up with the lower Div 2 teams.  The ACPRL is a bit of a disaster at times to be honest.  The fixtures for it can be very hap hazard.  This year it has not been too bad but last year was an absolute fiasco.  I think it went 7 weeks without a game at one stage.

The only problem with entering the stronger teams in the ACFl will be that the 1sts and 2nds have to play at the same time.  The 1sts will take at least 20 players, probably 22/23.  This will leave a strain on the 2nds team as well as meaning up to 8 players will not get a game that week.  The same boys will prob be subs every week and therefore will get very little football.  If there was a way around this then i would def agree with your idea.

passedit

Quote from: T O Hare on July 02, 2008, 03:36:42 PM
Sorry for that then ;D its in the blood i guess :L i think that inside of ACPRL we should have  ACL div 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 and then Ed and Sd reserve leagues

No bother, only winding anyway. I'm old enough to have played when it was like that (and to remember when your firsts were playin agin shamrocks seconds  ;D ) tbh I prefer the present system and I think you would too, if you could compare, as the standard of games you are playing now would be higher than they would be under the old system.

On another note I was just sent this link for all the down club locations. At first glance it appears that most are a little bit out (some a lot i.e St Micks), anybody any idea how to update or refine it?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=112236342169528719538.0004379aa88f7184c16a8
Don't Panic

T O Hare

I know what your saying superdupe but i think it would enhance football in Down... there is a massive gap in ACPRL league 1.....

Minor championship tonights lads... the Bridge travel to the RGU, any East Down psters know if they are strong????
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

spiritof91and94

Tom, you will get over that one - we beat them twice in the AC League. We have Rostrevor in Newcastle and the lads are well up for this one as our Minor Manager will be in Hospital for the forseeable future..
On the league set up, Bryansford II's are playing better teams than our I's and the games are better viewing as well.

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: T O Hare on July 02, 2008, 02:11:41 PM
... I honestly would expect our seconds team to beat both team

15 against 30...I'll take that bet ;)

A shake up in the league structure is needed for sure. All ACPRL1 teams and half of ACPRL2 teams would easily compete in Div 3 and some would challenge well in Div 1/2..

The Antrim league is set up this way and they have 6 divisions, allowing most teams to find their competitive level..Our Div 4 is a joke now and clubs like us would dread being back down there.

st pauls mcgrath

with down having got passed tyrone when are the championship games due to take place??
Down by birth....St.Pauls by the grace of god

Blue Island

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on July 02, 2008, 07:04:05 PM

A shake up in the league structure is needed for sure. All ACPRL1 teams and half of ACPRL2 teams would easily compete in Div 3 and some would challenge well in Div 1/2..

I think you are down playing the ability of third and second division teams and way over estimating some reserve teams. Most top true reserve teams (ie those that play at the same time as their seniors) would do well to compete with the top four in divsion three on a weekly basis. Look at the Armagh tables for an example. Cross, have been the best team in Ireland over the last ten years but their reserves consistently end up mid-table in divsion three and I don't believe their league is that much stronger than ours.

Square Ball

Quote from: T O Hare on July 02, 2008, 04:00:49 PM
I know what your saying superdupe but i think it would enhance football in Down... there is a massive gap in ACPRL league 1.....

Minor championship tonights lads... the Bridge travel to the RGU, any East Down psters know if they are strong????

any results from the minor chamionship?

Bredagh beat Ballymartin tonight by 7 i think
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

amallon

The Bridge beat Downpatrick 2-15 to 1-10
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

the milkman

Quote from: T O Hare on July 02, 2008, 03:36:42 PM

I would like see Down follow Antrim and just have ACL 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.

Playing leagues 1 to 3 on friday nites and then 4-7 on sunday evening.

I dont think the current format has any benefit to the smaller teams playin in div 3/4 gettin tanked most weeks where as they would be playing against teams 2ND teams at a closer standard to them.

5 Sams

An Riocht beat the Harps by a point :-[
The Aristocrat Years

spiritof91and94

MFC Bryansford beat Rostrevor by 9pts

thewobbler

I think we're getting the wrong end of the stick with the All County Reserves. Combining them with Divisions 4 and most of Division 3 would reduce the standard of football, and should be avoided...they're better preparation for players wanting to play Senior Division I the way they are. Just because they are stuck with the moniker "Reserve" doesn't make the football bad.