Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRIDGE LAD

As Mallon and Bridgegael says we were missing a lot of players last night, our squad stretched to the limits. Cathal Magee was playing, y'ad know he hasn't played competively in a while, very disappointing! But Kilcoo were at full strenght and we did miss a hell of a lot of scores. Missed four in last five mins, two easy frees. But its only first loss of season, done very well up to this stage! Have to lose first game some time. Pluggy and Garvey two massive misses in the forward line, also Walsh got injured early on!
On Kilcoo, they look very sharp all over, Laverty was a constant menace all night! I know he's small but think he'd be worth being a squad member with the county!

amallon

A little bit of journey and Down v Tyrone highlights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32oyPdlSfIQ

Highlights of the Bridge Kilcoo game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSFgjeM2Pk
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

redandblack4ever

Thanks for the wee look at the Tyrone V Down game from last week.

Setanta NA didn't show it all here and Mr. redandblack4ever is pretty pissed about it and so am I. I listened to the game live on Five FM and we both wanted to see it.

Can you make a DVD of it??? Only joking...

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

dodgy umpire

The Boys in Red and Black are back

In the Onion Bag

Mallon,
Thanks for the Down v Tyrone footage - you are fast becoming the people's hero with your super vids.  I've been gagging to see footage of this game since I left the marshes last Sat.  I would love to see a actual time DVD of it if anyone knows of one?

If you should ever enter the Eurovision I will vote 4U.  Cheers

spiritof91and94

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 20, 2008, 10:12:42 PM
Down ACFL Division 2

Dundrum 0-12  Bryansford 4-14

We sat back and watched the Ford play some great football in the 1st Half. At the break they were well ahead 2-10 to 0-03.

The 2nd Half was completely different. We showed some great courage and we took the game to them.We pretty much had the upperhand in the possession stakes. We hit 0-09 to their 2-04.

That 2nd period was probably our best 30 minutes of the season. Hopefully now we can improve further on this and start climbing the table.

Again, losing possession around our half forward/midfield area is crucifying us. 3 of the 4 goals were the result of us giving away the ball.

The Ford are a good, honest team. They have started to bring in a few of their Minors from last year and they seem to be fitting in nicely. Conor Maginn was brilliant. I can see him making the Down squad next year. Again, Kalum King was excellent around the middle while Conor Gribben played intermittently at times in full forward.

I would say there are alot worse on the county this year, maginn has been our playmaker all year, he definately upstaged McComiskey last night, imagine them two and Ciaran Brannigan in your forward line!
Why was McComiskey released last night, very strange

Mourne Rover

Maginn and Brannigan both did very well for the Down u21s this year, but, while Maginn may fill out even more, it is sadly hard to believe that Brannigan could ever be big enough for senior county football. It is verging on the astonishing that McComiskey was allowed to play club football a week before an Ulster semi, and it must be pretty clear that he will not start against Armagh.

Murtagh will be fortunate to hold his place after two fairly ordinary displays against Tyrone, but he is always likely to be well up for a game against Armagh. Our forward line has plenty of flexibility, especially if Ambrose switches to midfield and McKernan comes in, but the defence remains the big concern.

Naomh Pol CLG

The game against Armagh will hinge on how we cope with Clarke and McDonnell.  It's as simple as if we do not deal with their potent threat then we will join Tyrone and Derry in the rear entry ;)

There are two ways we can do that:

A) Swamp the defense with  bodies giving them no space to do their stuff.

or

B) Stop the supply of ball into them, win the lions share of midfield possession and essentially 70%+ of breaking ball.

I think we will be quite capable of the latter given the performances of Gordon and Rogers and the ability we showed in reading and sweeping break ball in both Tyrone Games (first 20 mins of the Omagh game excluded).

We have enough offensive threat to win an all ireland, I really do believe that, but if we do not shore up the defence we will not get past the Ulster.  All 15 players are defenders and must work in units to force turnover ball...Turnover ball could well decide this game, I can't see Armagh giving the ball away as much as Tyrone did and we can ill-afford to give as many turnovers as we did against Tyrone. Possession is vital, McDonnell and Clarke will be no threat if we have the ball.

Uladh

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on June 22, 2008, 08:56:33 AM

B) Stop the supply of ball into them, win the lions share of midfield possession and essentially 70%+ of breaking ball.

I think we will be quite capable of the latter given the performances of Gordon and Rogers and the ability we showed in reading and sweeping break ball in both Tyrone Games

Get real. not a team in ireland would enjoy a 70+ % share of breaking ball. and thats before you attempt to "win the lion's share" (how big a share do you reckon that to be?) against McGrane and toner.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 22, 2008, 12:07:43 AM

Murtagh will be fortunate to hold his place after two fairly ordinary displays against Tyrone, but he is always likely to be well up for a game against Armagh. Our forward line has plenty of flexibility, especially if Ambrose switches to midfield and McKernan comes in, but the defence remains the big concern.

Mutagh had a great game during the first match, second time out he was fairly good though not his best. He has been doing the most running in the team this year along with sexton. Not his job to get scores this year , more to win the break ball and also do lots of tracking and breaking up of the play between the half back and half forward line. Alot of his and sextons work goes unnoticed.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on June 22, 2008, 08:56:33 AM
The game against Armagh will hinge on how we cope with Clarke and McDonnell.  It's as simple as if we do not deal with their potent threat then we will join Tyrone and Derry in the rear entry ;)

There are two ways we can do that:

A) Swamp the defense with  bodies giving them no space to do their stuff.

or

I think we will be quite capable of the latter given the performances of Gordon and Rogers and the ability we showed in reading and sweeping break ball in both Tyrone Games (first 20 mins of the Omagh game excluded).

We have enough offensive threat to win an all ireland, I really do believe that, but if we do not shore up the defence we will not get past the Ulster.  All 15 players are defenders and must work in units to force turnover ball...Turnover ball could well decide this game, I can't see Armagh giving the ball away as much as Tyrone did and we can ill-afford to give as many turnovers as we did against Tyrone. Possession is vital, McDonnell and Clarke will be no threat if we have the ball.

did you see armagh play last week?? Their midfield was immense. If our midfield limits mc grane and toner to very few clean catches they will have played well IMO. Its up to our defence to cope with mc donnell and clarke which dan mc cartan if he starts will find extremly tough. flooding our defence is out of the question because we need to bring the game to armagh same as we did to tyrone and not just try to stop them playing. Down must play to their strengths which is attacking football.

Square Ball

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on June 21, 2008, 09:08:23 PM
Mallon,
Thanks for the Down v Tyrone footage - you are fast becoming the people's hero with your super vids.  I've been gagging to see footage of this game since I left the marshes last Sat.  I would love to see a actual time DVD of it if anyone knows of one?

If you should ever enter the Eurovision I will vote 4U.  Cheers
can someone try and get the game here and see if it works, I seen the game live but it wont let me watch it, its a good idea to put the link in.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html

go to the reply tab and the Down game is at the bottom
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Square Ball

only works if you down load real player, and you will have the ability to record it into your Real Player library, so knock yourself out In the Onion Bag

Square Ball

Fixtures Monday 30th 7 30
ACPRL Div 1

An Riocht v Downpatrick
Liatroim v Kilcoo
Bryansford v Clonduff
Burren v Mayobridge
Castlewellan v Rostrevor
ACPRL Div 2
Bredagh v Annaclone
Ballymartin v Tullylish
Kilclief v Loughinisland
Carryduff v Warrenpoint
Longstone v Saval

Pangurban

I totall agree, we must attack,attack,attack. No point in dragging our half forwards back into defence, leaving to big a gap between them and FF line. This results in having to play ball out of defence and too often in these situations we get turned over. We must not let Armaghs strenghts  dictate our play, its essential we play to our own strengths. Armaghs at this stage are essentially a busted flush, we are faster fitter and have the ability to out-score them