Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

All very well written Mourne Rover, but how many times will you have to be told that Paul Murphy cannot and should not feature in a full-back line before you'll listen? Murph is a dynamo, not a shadow.

As for Colgan, i've mooted the idea myself...but it's and idea that should have been tried out months ago... and not tested in an Ulster semi against one of the most complete full-forwards you'll find. For all McCartan's limitations in terms of pace, he has to be a better option.

The Corporal

Can anyone provide an up-to-date league table for Div 2?

Mourne Rover

Wobbler is correct to point out that switching Murphy to a marking job at corner back will deprive us of the outstanding wing-half in Ulster so far this season, but the problem is that someone will have to take on McDonnell. While the three guys in our full back line on Saturday played their hearts out, it is difficult to see any of them coping with McDonnell. Murphy's attacking instincts might have have to be sacrificed on a one-off basis, as McDonnell on a good day could hit us for 1-6 or more from play which would cost us the game.

I fully agree that Colgan should have been tried at full back at a much earlier stage, and, together with others on this board, I have been suggesting it since last year. He plainly did not want to play there, but he now seems to have accepted that it is his best chance of a starting spot for the time being.

I thought McArdle did not do badly there in the league, but I trust Ross (although I still do not understand why Murphy did not start in Omagh) and it seems clear McArdle is not considered ready for championship football and our no 3 against Armagh will be either Colgan or McCartan.

The bottom line is that, if we can restrict Clarke and McDonnell, this is a game we are capable of winning. You can make statistics prove anything, but, even through an otherwise depressing period, our record in Ulster semi-finals is good. We have failed to get past the first round in nine seasons out of the last 12, but we have won our last four semis in row (94, 96, 99, 03).  As we all know, we are also long overdue a win against Armagh.

umpire

Down website have full update of Senior league table including Div 2

T O Hare

We had the misfortune of travelling to Ardglass to play in the reserve championship last night, that was my first time playing there and hopefully the last!!!! Animals who actually believe they are saints!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

passedit

Lads just wondering about the guy who reffed the St Pauls Mitchells game on friday night. Stout lad from Bosco i think. now i know we don't get the cream of refs in div 3 but that was the best refereeing performance i've witnessed in Down for a while. Took no shit from either team, was scrupulously fair and got 99% of the calls right. Most importantly he engaged with the players without talking down to them. What's his name? was this an aberration? and does he get any decent games to ref?

ps as the st pauls lads will tell you praise for a ref from me is high praise indeed.
Don't Panic

passedit

Quote from: T O Hare on June 16, 2008, 12:20:08 PM
We had the misfortune of travelling to Ardglass to play in the reserve championship last night, that was my first time playing there and hopefully the last!!!! Animals who actually believe they are saints!!!!

:D :D :D

A trip to play in Ardglass should be on the national curriculum, an essential experience in the path of life.
Don't Panic

st pauls mcgrath

has anybody heard when the junior c'ship begins?
Down by birth....St.Pauls by the grace of god

BRIDGE LAD

Has anyone got any other results from the reserve championship last night?
Big tom got a great goal last night, its a wonder he forgot to mention it!
:o :o :o :o :o

Actually, it hit off his arse!

thewobbler

Ballyholland beat Clonduff in the RFC,  1.15 to 2.01. Harps' keeper threw one into the net. Useless bastard.

stpauls

Quote from: st pauls mcgrath on June 16, 2008, 12:50:21 PM
has anybody heard when the junior c'ship begins?

as far as i know, it starts the second weekend in August.

Friday 8th - Tuesday 12th   Football Championship – Round 1

BRIDGE LAD

Thanks Wobbler! We won by 4 8 to 2 4. Should have won by more.
Rostrevor also won.
Anyone else?

turnbacktime

irish independent says that benny coulter also recieved two yellows on saturday evening! i know he got one on the 18th minute, but its saying that he got one on the 67th?????

did the paper make the f*(k up or was it the ref?

Lot of bad press on ardglass in recent times . . . . . no posters from there looking to give an opinion on the Animal - like behaviour?

dodgy umpire

Quote from: turnbacktime on June 16, 2008, 01:25:35 PM
irish independent says that benny coulter also recieved two yellows on saturday evening! i know he got one on the 18th minute, but its saying that he got one on the 67th?????

Lot of bad press on ardglass in recent times . . . . . no posters from there looking to give an opinion on the Animal - like behaviour?

at a minor game recently their attitude was a joke. dogs abuse given to referee (whom they knew on a first name basis) and some players didnt seem to have playin the game as their main priority
The Boys in Red and Black are back

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: turnbacktime on June 16, 2008, 01:25:35 PM

Thats because they know its brutal!