Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Well said Wobbler, the voice of reason , which is a rare commodity at the moment

spiritof91and94

A total disgrace that the County Board let this happen - the Down Fans have just had a difficult enough league campaign which was a total failure and the blame has to be left at the managements discretion  and we are now being shut out from a challenge game.
Why did they not open the gates and even charge, say, £5 admission to go towards the training fund? -  because the clubs will have to pick it up along the way somewhere.
Did the Cork boys think Kerry would travel up to watch them? ;D ;D - obviously they must have.
And I wouldnt think Mickey Harte is losing too much sleep over not seeing it!

corn02

I would think that this was alot more of a Cork request than a Down request. Probably a deal-breaker to get the Rebels to travel to Newry. Many managers live in a world of paranoia.

western exile

Quote from: corn02 on May 27, 2008, 09:05:26 AM
I would think that this was alot more of a Cork request than a Down request. Probably a deal-breaker to get the Rebels to travel to Newry. Many managers live in a world of paranoia.

And Cork (both players and management) are more paranoid than most after their shameful "stike" a couple of months ago

kinghen

just on the cathal murdock playin in nets for burren question< he started the season in nets but hasnt playedrecently due to injury, mark rocks apparently made a great save from dan gordon in the last match, match winning save!

Our Nail Loney

Apparently? Were you not at the match kinghen?? How'd the burren forwards do?

imtommygunn

I see Paddy O'Rourke did the Newry marathon in 3h20minutes. Not bad going for an over 45!

passedit

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on May 27, 2008, 08:57:28 AM
A total disgrace that the County Board let this happen - the Down Fans have just had a difficult enough league campaign which was a total failure and the blame has to be left at the managements discretion  and we are now being shut out from a challenge game.
Why did they not open the gates and even charge, say, £5 admission to go towards the training fund? -  because the clubs will have to pick it up along the way somewhere.
Did the Cork boys think Kerry would travel up to watch them? ;D ;D - obviously they must have.

The biggest disgrace here is the lack of respect shown to London and Armagh hurlers. I wonder how long the Cork byes wouda struck for if that had happened to their own hurling team.

Don't Panic

Glensman

I wish Antrim Cavan had been played behind closed doors.

On a serious note that was a complete joke...is there any inside info on why?

stpauls

Quote from: passedit on May 27, 2008, 07:33:36 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on May 27, 2008, 08:57:28 AM

The biggest disgrace here is the lack of respect shown to London and Armagh hurlers. I wonder how long the Cork byes wouda struck for if that had happened to their own hurling team.

well said passedit, i was wondering how long it would take someone to bring this up. the lack of respect shown to these 2 teams was a disgrace, especially London who flew over on the morning of the game, and if it had gone to extra time, they would have missed their flight home!! were the down county board going to stump up their hotel bill just because they wanted their senior football team, to play behind closed doors in Pairc Esler, instead of moving it somewhere else?

the milkman

Anybody got a clue what the Down team against tyrone will be?

Id like to see this team:

1. B McViegh
2. L Howard
3. C Murney (may be small but best option in my opion)
4. M Cole
5. D Rafferty
6. L Doyle
7. A Carr
8. J Colgan
9. D Gordan
10. D Hughes
11. A Rodgers
12. K McKernan
13. J Clarke
14. B Coulter
15. P McComiskey

Also gives the option to bring on experienced players such as Sexton, Murtagh, Murphy (possible as sweeper if tyrone launch high ball)

off the laces

Colgan will not start, murtagh has to be a shoe in
Keeps 'er' straight

goldenyears

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 26, 2008, 11:53:10 AM

knowing nothing about it, if the lad was unable to train fully with the county squad that would tell me he was injured or returning from injury and any decent physico would tell you a player should never play a match returning from injury unless he come through a full training session

Max, I think thats balls - Paul McGrath extended his career for years by getting through game to game and training very little - is it not possible that a player cant make training on wed night but the extra time gets him into a playable position for the fri night?? i certainly think so.

goldenyears

Quote from: the milkman on May 28, 2008, 08:19:36 AM
Anybody got a clue what the Down team against tyrone will be?

Id like to see this team:

1. B McViegh
2. L Howard
3. C Murney (may be small but best option in my opion)
4. M Cole
5. D Rafferty
6. L Doyle
7. A Carr
8. J Colgan
9. D Gordan
10. D Hughes
11. A Rodgers
12. K McKernan
13. J Clarke
14. B Coulter
15. P McComiskey

Also gives the option to bring on experienced players such as Sexton, Murtagh, Murphy (possible as sweeper if tyrone launch high ball)

my sources suggest that murphy will play at number 5, colgan will play in the middle and r murtagh will play at corner forward

Uladh

If Colgan is playing its the final nail in any chance i thought down had