Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TORGAEL

goldenyears

jesus lads the div 3/div 4 permanent slagging session going for pages is not much craic; can we change the subject?

no report on the down match / any latest on new club managers / any previews of div 1 or 2?

Brick Tamlin

Here is how i saw the Down game agaisnt Longford.

Its great to be winning or to get a win even these days so id feel a bit shitty complaining or nit picking but anyways.
We should ahve had the game dead and buried at half time with the amount of posession we had in first half, we owned the ball and yet only just lead goin in at the break. When Longford came out they suddenly saw the dorr was still left open for them and took full advantage due largely to the excellence of brian kavanagah who was a class act throughout. Suddenly we are pegged back and the games is a draw with time running out.

it was very hard to pick out anyone that played above the average or stood out, but notable mentions must go to Ronan Sexton who continues to kep his ead down, sleeves rolled up and gets mucked into all facets of the game no matter what is asked of him. Also return of Ronan Murtagh to a somewhat impotent half back line was welcomed although i still stand by my original assumption, he aint a half back and shouldnt be asked to play there. John Clarke is a rarity in that he is one of the few guys on the panel who has brains, he also oozes class and almost always produces the goods when needed most. Benny was Benny, spilled a few, was behind for a few, misjudged a few but nyet still finished with 5/6 pts to his name, not bad for nights work, match pratice should bring him on to me he still doesnt look as sharp or fit..
Comiskey is a frickin nightmare for any defender when left isolated.

Amrbose was poor but im sure he knows that himself and we all know he can be alot better and potentially devastating when on song, id still rather have him ahead of Jackie. not sure of the huge cheer in the stand was for Dan coming on or for Amrose going off. either way it was surprising to hear it.

passedit

Goldenyears, it's perhaps inevitable given that Div three is the only one that games are under way though i can see that this can look like two bald men fighting over a comb.

That said i'm going to exercise my right to reply anyway.

First off my beef is not with bredagh,  as a trawl through this thread will tell you that any comments i've ever made about the club have been positive, i certainly have no inferiority complex about them as implied as i've have had many more good days than bad ones agin them in my playing career. That's by the by though, my beef is with the disgraceful comments made by An Duin Abu regarding the St Pauls club. I don't accept that he is neutral as evidenced by his comments, i will accept though that he is not formally connected to the club and therefore is a disgrace only to himself.
Don't Panic

passedit

Quote from: Dubh driocht on March 17, 2008, 08:51:08 PM
I'm glad An Duin abu has suggested he is not a Bredagh man as I had come to the same conclusion .
As one of the 'knitting circle' can I remind passedit that I praised the club but highlighted an attitude that some of their players have developed about Bredagh.I played against St Pauls many times in the early 80s and know some of the founder members- true believers, as Joe Brolly would say.However, when I came up against them in the early noughties, there was a change among some of their players-they obviously had Bredagh down as 'the enemy' and a lot of petty verbals,nothing to do with GAA, came from some players who should know better.
That aside,I still wish St Pauls well, and hope they finish in the top three in Division 3.

dubh, my point was that those who quick to condemn st pauls for what were minor incidents (and far from one sided) were strangely silent about two of their own men getting the line for striking. Sauce for the goose and all that. I'm a relatively recent blow in but while there is a healthy rivalry of all the games between the two clubs that i've seen or been involved in last sundays was the only one in which there was any real bad blood. Even then it was nothing much to write home about (until An duin abu started spouting shite). I will agree though that there a few at st pauls to take the rivalry a bit too seriously, maybe it's arrogant comments like this

QuoteAll credit to St Pauls.  Its not that long ago when any good minor team would have easily beaten St Pauls seniors.  Keep at it.

from onion bag who seems to have forgotten that St Pauls and Bredagh have been competing in the same division for quite a while now, or this

Someone recently compared the 3 N Down teams (C'duff, Bredagh & St Pauls) to Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro. Bredagh & Duff are like Sunderland and Newcastle - no love lost - St Pauls are like Boro - nobody really cares to much!

from Lecale 4 that wind them up.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=zIfzDyVBG_M&feature=related
Don't Panic

DownFanatic

Any Bredagh posters care to shed any light on the two new players who made their debuts against Teconnaught. Eddie McKee and Peter Campbell I think they are called.

Aristotle Flynn

I know Div 3 started early because of the extra team but when to the rest of the leagues start? The only fixtures i saw were Rd 1 etc. No dates.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Rosie McCann

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on March 19, 2008, 08:03:10 AM
I know Div 3 started early because of the extra team but when to the rest of the leagues start? The only fixtures i saw were Rd 1 etc. No dates.
Are there any fixtures on Easter Sunday? We are trying to arrange a ladies friendly and are not sure if we are allowed to proceed, can anyone throw any light on this?

No1

Premier Reserve league starts on Sunday 30 March and the other football divisions start on Friday April 18.

Rosie McCann

Quote from: No1 on March 19, 2008, 09:38:58 AM
Premier Reserve league starts on Sunday 30 March and the other football divisions start on Friday April 18.
Thanks for that No 1

Forgot me Boots

Quote from: Rosie McCann on March 19, 2008, 08:20:47 AM
Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on March 19, 2008, 08:03:10 AM
Are there any fixtures on Easter Sunday? We are trying to arrange a ladies friendly and are not sure if we are allowed to proceed, can anyone throw any light on this?

Rosie

div 3 fixtures are on Monday at 1

amallon

Down 1-17 Antrim 0-8
Down had a fairly handy win over Antrim tonight.  The game was tight enough for the first 15 with Down taking some nice scores Antrim taking a few but missing a good few more.  Down upped it for the rest of the half and never looked back.

Cathal Magee took two great long range scores.  The full foward line of Brannigan, Kelly and McComiskey were excellent.  Kelly is good in the air and makes up for his two corner mens lack of height.  The movement up front was excellent especially Brannigan who makes so many runs its unreal.  He runs, checks, runs until the ball is delivered.

The defence never really gave Antrim a sniff, Duffin and Murney were very good.  Garvey was going well but went off injured after 25ish mins.  McKernan and Colgan did well at midfield.  Much tougher tests to come.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

spiritof91and94

Any details on the venue for the U21 Semi Final v Tyrone?

downredblack

Aidan , great job on the Youtube clips , nothing like the Hill decked out in Red & Black .

What do you think of Brannigan, is he near a call up ?

amallon

Brannigan is one for the future.  He'd probably be worth his place on the senior squad but he would struggle to break into the team at the minute.  I'm not sure that McComsikey is that far ahead of Brannigan from the last 2 u21 games I've seen.  McComiskey is just slightly better and there wouldn't be room for both in the Down full forward line thats for sure.  A very gifted player and a bloody nightmare to mark.

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.