Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

QuoteWould still like a less fluid situation and more settled first fifteen
Let's put this in context Pangur -  given the last 5 years in Down football, if we had a settled first XV at this stage of the season, we'd all be calling for Ross's head.   

Your second point is the more worrying one. I remember in March 2005 (give or take 12 months or so) we played Meath one day in Newcastle and literally ran them into the ground. We looked the fittest team in Ireland and the Royal men looked like a bunch of hiefers in comparison. When May came around, we looked busted. This year we've seemingly hit a similar level of fitness in.... January.

I'd make one point though. One of the reasons we looked so fit against Derry was because light, workaholic athletes McGuigan, Hughes, Fegan and Sexton were all playing in key positions for making a high-tempo game work. Fellas like that would be superfit at any time of year, and they would surely compensate for any lower fitness levels in teammates at this time of year.

Leo

Quote from: the milkman on January 29, 2008, 03:47:19 PM
Quote from: amallon on January 29, 2008, 03:12:32 PM
Benny expected to play some part against Derry but wasn't used maybe because Down were so much in control.  Think O'Hanlon will be the only man to loose out for Sligo, with Murtagh to come in for him.   I'll expect Benny and McComiskey to come from the bench.

Yeah I think O'Hanlon will be the only stater from Saturday nights team to miss out but I reckon it could be Murney not Murtagh that gets the nod! Hope J. Clarke gets a run at no.13, he has been excellent since being moved there, easily got the better of a great marker in McGuckin

Ross has stuck with a fairly setled line up in MCKenna abd I dont expect much cahnge but Murtagh is definitely not a half back and would prefer another look at Murney. Fegan has done well, especially frees, but doubt if he has the physique for the battles ahead. Magee is for the future but will probably start on Saturday. Bryansford post about Howard & Maginn a bit optimistic although both in U21 and Maginn looks like a real prospect.
Fierce tame altogether

Mourne Rover

I hope to see McComiskey at some stage on Saturday night, but those involved at Sigerson and/or u21 level must be unlikely to start. Strangely enough, Packy Downey is in the senior squad but apparently did not make the cut for the u21s. He will probably be on what I expect to be a fairly impressive bench.

I would not worry too much about peaking too soon, as our problem over recent years has been not peaking at all. We have made it past the first round of the Ulster championship once in the last eight attempts, while our overall record in the qualifiers is two wins and seven defeats in nine games. If we win a minimum of two matches across both competitions this summer, we can worry about our fitness then. On present form, this is more than achieveable.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: T O Hare on January 29, 2008, 02:03:37 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on January 29, 2008, 01:59:16 PM
I would have thought Luke Howard & Conor Maginn would have made the panel as both played well for Queens in the McKenna Cup.

Spirit,you probably are hoping Benny Corrigan  and Eamon Burns will be getting a call up too  ;D

I think my question was fair enough - though maybe Brendan Grant would be your ideal call up.lol

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 30, 2008, 12:01:23 AM
I hope to see McComiskey at some stage on Saturday night, but those involved at Sigerson and/or u21 level must be unlikely to start. Strangely enough, Packy Downey is in the senior squad but apparently did not make the cut for the u21s. He will probably be on what I expect to be a fairly impressive bench.

It could only happen in Down, I suppose!!

I attended a seminar last year and Ross outlined his ideas on the task ahead, he introduced a physical trainer, ex Irish army (his name i cant remember), he outlined that he would have to condition the players as they were totally out of shape and showed slides to proves this emphasising on their balance, he said he would be working with the squad to improve everything in their fitness - perhaps this is beginning to show?

thewobbler

U-21s have a strong line-up this year, but it is baffling that Downey has played Senior Championship football yet cannot make a 32 man squad for the under-21s. Anyone know anything about Liam McKibbin and Luke Toner, like, who they are?

spiritof91and94

Quote from: thewobbler on January 30, 2008, 09:20:51 AM
U-21s have a strong line-up this year, but it is baffling that Downey has played Senior Championship football yet cannot make a 32 man squad for the under-21s. Anyone know anything about Liam McKibbin and Luke Toner, like, who they are?
Both from Castlewellan, McKibben played half forward for the town seniors last year and is a good player, a nephew of Harpo, he is a asset to any team.
Toner is a hard player but too one paced for me, played midfield for town under 20's this year but never really impressed - was a member of the St Louis squads that marty clarke etc played in.

No1

I know I am biased but it is a downright disgrace that Ricky Kerr didn't make it onto that U-21 panel.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: No1 on January 30, 2008, 10:14:45 AM
I know I am biased but it is a downright disgrace that Ricky Kerr didn't make it onto that U-21 panel.

This is the same Ricky Kerr who signed to play Under 20 football for Castlewellan but couldnt make the team??

No1

That would be the same fella alright.

T O Hare

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on January 30, 2008, 08:31:44 AM
Quote from: T O Hare on January 29, 2008, 02:03:37 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on January 29, 2008, 01:59:16 PM
I would have thought Luke Howard & Conor Maginn would have made the panel as both played well for Queens in the McKenna Cup.

Spirit,you probably are hoping Benny Corrigan  and Eamon Burns will be getting a call up too  ;D

I think my question was fair enough - though maybe Brendan Grant would be your ideal call up.lol

yes he would, full back on a very successful club side in our county, definately merits a place on the panel!!!!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

western exile

in Irish News today...

Due to a technical error the full Down U21 panel was not printed in yesterday's edition.
The full final selection is as follows:

1: Kevin Anderson; 2: Ciaran Brannigan; 3: John Caldwell; 4: James Colgan; 5: James Cunningham; 6: Mark Digney; 7: Ruairi Digney; 8: Kevin Duffin; 9: Conor Garvey; 10: Seamus Grant; 11: Timmy Hanna; 12: Tony Havern; 13: Gavin Joyce; 14: Ryan Kelly; 15: Declan Lavery; 16: Cathal Magee; 17: Hugh Magee; 18: Conor Maginn; 19: Michael McAllister; 20: Paul McComiskey; 21: Eamon McConville; 22: Kevin McKernan; 23: Liam McKibben; 24: Cathal Murdock; 25: Colm Murney; 26: Joe Murphy; 27: Jamie O'Reilly; 28: Brendan Rooney; 29: Eamon Toner; 30: Luke Toner; 31: Andrew Sloan; 32: Damien Turley.

their panel listings have not proved too accurate this week. But here it is anyway  :)

western exile

5times,  that win would have been without their senior contingent being available (who were on duty at Casement) then ?

downredblack

Has wee Martin had anything to say for himself since ? Who does he write for ?

Class of 99

Not a word on Ambrose starting on Saturday from anyone is he fit? Also whats the chances of D Rafferty getting a run