Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pull Hard Hes No Relation

I don't know why the Bredagh lads aren't at the juniors as they certainly have a few lads worth their place on the squad at least, perhaps Lecale could throw some light on that. Their promotion means nothing in terms of qualifying for the juniors as Liatriom, Newry, Ballea etc all have players on the squad. I heard that they weren't particularly welcomed with open arms at training etc in the past and that may be a factor

As for the Betsy Gray, given Bredagh will be at full strength they would have to be favourites. I know that the likes of ourselves will be missing 7-8 players between the Juniors and Seniors with teams such as Liatriom also seriously down on numbers.

Given the decision to play without the junior players I don't think the hurling board had much choice but to go for an "official" guideline of 12 players although all the clubs at the meeting on Monday were clear that if they had 15 players available they would play 15 a side. 

Mourne Rover

Goldenyears, Donegal were poor by any standards. They fielded a weak team, got off to a bad start and by the second half they were obviously thinking about the long journey home. However, we are at a stage where we have to take any win we can get and both the performance and the result can only give us a big lift. The new faces all did well, and they will put pressure on the established players for the first time in quite a while.

Making the semi or even the final in the McKenna Cup would also help, but the huge game for us is the first match in the NFL at home to Sligo. If we manage to win it, and it is also under the floodlights, we will be on our way at last.

Minus15

Managers

Bosco - Aidan Mulvaney
Glenn - Paddy Kennedy

miss mess

yea barney mcaleenan is with gerry quinn

whyarerefssobad

what do we think Ross should do on Saturday should he still be experimenting and trying differant players or is it more important to try and win the game and get a little more confidence in the players . i would go for the win
always look on the bright side

Bacon

Quote from: No1 on January 18, 2008, 11:10:00 AM
What is the craic with the Betsy Gray?  12 a side, is this a wind up or what?  I think it would be better for the hurling board to sort out their leagues rather than carrying on with this farce.

Why have the Bredagh boys jacked in the juniors?

The likes of Ballela, Newry and Liatroim will all struggle to field 15 without their county players. That's why it was agreed that it could be played 12 aside if needs be. Are you thinking of a come back No 1?

The Bredagh lads didn't jack in the juniors - they were never involved to begin with. According to Paddy about 8 of them were invited to initial trials. Colin Murray sent apologies (injured). 2 other lads were at university in England and none of the rest turned up. I've no idea why.

It's a great opportunity for hurlers outside the Ards and all of them should be encouraged to grab the opportunity with both hands. The Hurling Board has worked hard to get a South Down team into the NHL and hopefully the lads who are involved will benefit from the experience.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

downredblack

Defo go for the win , as GY's pointed out earlier the more games these lads can win the better . Don't know about the rest of ya's but I've had enough experimenting to do me for a while. Couldn't make the game on Wednesday night but I must admit I had a bit of a spring in the step Thursday morning . So I hope the lads can build on the Donegal game .
Miss Mess , welcome to the board . I think you are the only female Down poster at this time . Keep her lit .

spiritof91and94

Under 21 Challenge v Kildare tomorrow 2pm in Newcastle
McKenna Cup Game confirmed Newry 6pm.

miss mess

To be fair, Donegal werent that impressive on Wednesday night.  It was a brilliant result for Down football and it does give us hope but we really need to be improving bigtime, a few mistakes and slip ups but i suppose its early days.  Personally I think the UUJ game will be quite close, possibly a draw, mustn't let the players' heads get too big.

miss mess

downredblack, thanks.  Im missing the down match, ill be in dubai but keep the updates coming, thanks

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: uselessfootballer on January 18, 2008, 12:37:43 PM

Noamh Pol CLG, is the much vaunted underage set-up that you reffer to the same one that during 2007 seen your U-8s not get a single game, your U-10s withdraw from 3 of the 6 East Down Blitz's and play in only one tournament, your U-12s also only have 1 tournament appearance and the U-16s and minors fail to fulfill their league fixtures.???
The club is progressing fair enough but you should carefully limit your usage of those rose tinted glasses.

Indeed, come down to McNamee park on Sunday Mornings from February and see what I'm taking about.  Over 130 kids from age 8-14 training with qualified coaches and senior footballers...Not to many in this county have the pool of kids that we are now moulding.  Over the next 5 years we will begin the see the fruits of this, our current U-14s are the first of the crop since we began the programme and they went undeafeted this year.  Don't you worry about us, Bredagh, Carryduff and ourselves have by far the biggest populated parishes in the County, and there will be a shift in power in the next 10 years, Bredagh have taken the first steps and we will be next ;)

dundrumite

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on January 18, 2008, 08:12:05 PM
Quote from: uselessfootballer on January 18, 2008, 12:37:43 PM

Noamh Pol CLG, is the much vaunted underage set-up that you reffer to the same one that during 2007 seen your U-8s not get a single game, your U-10s withdraw from 3 of the 6 East Down Blitz's and play in only one tournament, your U-12s also only have 1 tournament appearance and the U-16s and minors fail to fulfill their league fixtures.???
The club is progressing fair enough but you should carefully limit your usage of those rose tinted glasses.

Indeed, come down to McNamee park on Sunday Mornings from February and see what I'm taking about.  Over 130 kids from age 8-14 training with qualified coaches and senior footballers...Not to many in this county have the pool of kids that we are now moulding.  Over the next 5 years we will begin the see the fruits of this, our current U-14s are the first of the crop since we began the programme and they went undeafeted this year.  Don't you worry about us, Bredagh, Carryduff and ourselves have by far the biggest populated parishes in the County, and there will be a shift in power in the next 10 years, Bredagh have taken the first steps and we will be next ;)
Thats dancing talk.
Though having by far the biggest populated area isnt overly benefical if most the players dont stick at it beyond minor level.
On a similar note, what are the bredagh posters opinions on the number of non-Bredagh lads on their starting team? I know of a few Bredagh lads whom came through the underage system who have jacked gaelic in, because they felt they were being given a fair crack of the whip at senior level.

Mourne Rover

Dundrumite, the vast majority of Down clubs tend to be based on strong family connections down the generations. Bredagh would be among a handful which have a transient character, with people constantly moving in and moving out of the area. No one really wants to play their football in division four, where the overall standard is well behind reserve level at the main clubs and some fixtures are less than serious . If a number of players who have lived in the parish for some time help Bredagh or any other club to get a promotion or possibly two, and raise their game along the way, is that a threat or an opportunity ?

imagine

Naomh Pol CLG   Will you keep away from the keyboard--you're making us look like fools.No,most people will realise your postings are the ravings of an idiot.

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: imagine on January 19, 2008, 09:04:36 AM
Naomh Pol CLG   Will you keep away from the keyboard--you're making us look like fools.No,most people will realise your postings are the ravings of an idiot.

You appear to be someone well qualified to recognise one....

Thank you for your educated and well thought out argument by the way ::)