Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Possibly the Royal Irish were playing the Royal Marines in army championship game at Ballykinlar, this was due last W/E but cancelled due to snow

Aristotle Flynn

When will the game be played? Most teams have now played 3 matches Down have only played one.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

amallon

If Newry was flooded then the game on Wednesday night might have to be moved or canceled.  I suppose it depends on how bad the flooding was and what the weather does between now and Wednesday. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: amallon on January 14, 2008, 09:06:22 AM
If Newry was flooded then the game on Wednesday night might have to be moved or canceled.  I suppose it depends on how bad the flooding was and what the weather does between now and Wednesday. 

Was down at the pitch yesterday morning - never seen Newcastle as wet - we marked it on Saturday evening and not a line on it on Sunday Morning. Was in the Club last night and the Goalmouths were totally saturated - I would say an inspection will be done tomorrow to determine Wednesday's game but last night again Newcastle had a very wet night so i wouldnt be too hopeful.

amallon

Was the game on Wed night set for Newcastle?  I thought it was supposed to be in Newry? 

amallon

From the beeb

McKenna semis to be rescheduled 

Ross Carr's Down side could face the students UUJ this weekend
The McKenna Cup semi-finals are likely to be rescheduled to a midweek date due to the postponement of Sunday's Down v UUJ Group B clash in Newcastle.
With the decider still on schedule for 26 January, the result of postponed game has a bearing on who goes through.

Down are due to play Donegal this Wednesday night, so their game with the students could go ahead this weekend, the original date for the semi-finals.

It is now likely that they semis will take place on Wednesday 23 January.

spiritof91and94

If Newcastle is bad i would fear for the marshes...

umpire

A possibility

Down could win both games against UUJ and Donegal and win by more than 4 points in each game, they are through to Semi final!!!!

downredblack

I'd go the same 1-7 as 5ivetimes , but would definitely have Dan in the middle and have Ambrose dropping back to give them a dig out .

Dan    Jackie
                                                                             Ambrose 
                                                          Sexton / hughes     Walsh   Murtagh
                                                                     McComiskey  Coulter

DownFanatic

My current best 15

1. D.Alder

2. M.Cole
3. P.Murphy
4. C.McGovern

5. D.Rafferty
6. R.Murtagh
7. L.Doyle

8. D.Gordon
9. A.Rodgers

10. R.Sexton
11. M.Walsh
12. B.Coulter

13. D.Hughes
14.J.Clarke
15. P.McComiskey

downredblack

Where did they play Mutrtagh in Omagh when he came on ? Is Ross persisting with him in the half back line ?

5 Sams

Lads I'd love to know where some of yiz got this notion about Paul Murphy at full back. While it might be worth an experiment to see how he goes...do you not think that someone with his engine and running power would be wasted in there. I'm struggling to remember him ever playing there for us.... even at underage ???
The Aristocrat Years

behind the wire

df can you find anyone else in the country who would back you up and say that ronan murtagh is downs answer at no6? id daoubt you'll find any.

duno what about paul murph at full back, think someone mentioned colgan which would be more along my thinking.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

thewobbler

QuoteLastly, re who should play full-back, I'd like to see fellas who actually play club full-back tried there first. Gary McArdle, Andrew Kane, Darren Cunningham (again). If none of those work out, then give young Howard a run at it. I've a feeling James Colgan could play there, but I'd imagine he doesn't. As for Paul Murphy, I'd be shocked if he has it in him to play there. His greatest strength as a player is his dynamism, and that's one of the last attributes you find in genuine full-backs.
Quoting myself from a month ago.

DownFanatic, trust us on this one. Full-back requires an unusual amount of selfless discipline in a footballer, and Murph is not your man.

By the way, he  did play full-back for Down once, a few years ago in a McKenna Cup match in Burren. The key part of that sentence is "once".

downredblack

Quote from: thewobbler on January 14, 2008, 02:26:26 PM
QuoteLastly, re who should play full-back, I'd like to see fellas who actually play club full-back tried there first. Gary McArdle, Andrew Kane, Darren Cunningham (again). If none of those work out, then give young Howard a run at it. I've a feeling James Colgan could play there, but I'd imagine he doesn't. As for Paul Murphy, I'd be shocked if he has it in him to play there. His greatest strength as a player is his dynamism, and that's one of the last attributes you find in genuine full-backs.
Quoting myself from a month ago.

DownFanatic, trust us on this one. Full-back requires an unusual amount of selfless discipline in a footballer, and Murph is not your man.

By the way, he  did play full-back for Down once, a few years ago in a McKenna Cup match in Burren. The key part of that sentence is "once".

Was that against Donegal ? You have a better memory than me , couldn't tell you who played that day never mind where .