Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

It is more or less impossible to guess our team for Omagh without knowing who is available. As well as the u21 and Sigerson players, we can presumably rule out Benny, Ambrose, Dan McCartan, Declan Rooney and Paul Murphy.

It will be a tight call between Connell and Alder in nets, but Alder deserves his chance. McArdle could get a run at full back, although Cole is an option. McGovern and Rafferty should be in the defence somewhere, and hopefully we will see Doyle at CHB.

Gordon and Lynch seems the most likely midfield, but the forward line is a bit of a lottery. Perhaps the Ballyholland posters could let us know if Murtagh is in the squad, as, apart from him, only Hughes and Sexton would appear to be certain starters.

However, it is all about coming up with a starting 15 for the league. It will be alarming if we are not fitter than Tyrone, but they are bound to be stronger after getting their first game out of the way.

wobbller

What time is the throw-in on Wed/

amallon

(from Irish News)
Down eager for more days under the sun 
Dr McKenna Cup 
By Niall McCoy 

The sun may not have been shining as brightly as he expected, but Down manager Ross Carr is hoping that a recent training camp in Portugal will have recharged his squad for a better year in 2008.

The Mournemen put in five days internse training at the Portuguese camp.

Any progress made will be tested immediately.

The Down squad face a wounded Tyrone side, out to impress following their three-point defeat at the hands of Jordanstown on Sunday.

"The camp went well, they trained hard.

article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It rained for three or four days but it stayed dry when we were training, which was a big plus,'' said Carr.

"It was as intense as it can be. We won't know if it will be beneficial until we see the performances.

"You have to take it out onto the field of play and hopefully we will see the benefits in the next three to four weeks."

Down failed to win in last year's Dr McKenna Cup, drawing with Antrim before shipping heavy defeats to UUJ and Donegal.

But Carr is confident that this year will see a more settled and determined side.

"Comparing it to last year, we are 12 months ahead and we will have a fair idea of how to use the McKenna Cup,'' he said.

"We won't be using it for trials, rather to try and form a team for the upcoming National League.

"We hopefully will be able to put out a core of eight or nine experienced players and still give a chance to men who haven't played before."

Like most panels at this time of year, Carr will not have a full quota of players to choose from.

Notable absentees include Declan Rooney (shoulder), Daniel McCartan

(hamstring) and Stephen Kearney (ankle).

Danger man Benny Coulter is also injured and did not travel to Portugal.

"Benny Coulter is out at the moment," confirmed Carr, "he is carrying an injury from his club

campaign and he hasn't been able to join us yet.

"There is no point in carrying anybody who is injured at the moment, when Benny has the

all-clear from the physio we'll assess the situation then."

Mickey Walsh was another name missing from Down's Dr McKenna Cup squad but Carr insists he is merely "unavailable" due to education commitments.

"Mickey Walsh is in England finishing his degree,'' he said.

"It's not a question of him not being on the panel, he was just not available to join up and do the pre-Christmas training.

"The panel is never set in stone, with injuries and everything you could never set a panel in stone."

Carr knows a win tomorrow night would almost guarantee Tyrone's exit from the

competition and end their quest for five-in-a-row but, as Carr admits, there are more important issues at stake.

"We are hoping to have a couple of really good performances in the McKenna Cup,'' he declared.

"I don't know if that means winning it, but our performances are more important than results at this minute in time."

Carr knows that playing Tyrone in their own backyard is a massive task.

But it is exactly the test Down need to see if their spell in Portugal has adapted them to deal with the heat of gaelic games battle.

GAA FIXTURES

ULSTER

Wednesday January 9 (8pm)

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup

Section A

Fermanagh v Armagh at Kingspan Breffni Park; Ref: Jimmy Galligan (Cavan)

Derry v St Mary's at Ballinderry Ref: Gregory Walsh (Antrim)

Section B

Tyrone v Down at Omagh; Ref: Aidan McAlynn (Derry)

Section C

Antrim v Cavan at Casement Park; Ref: Eugene O'Hare (Down)

Saturday January 12 (6pm)

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup: Section C

Queens v Cavan at Kingspan Breffni Park Ref: Gerry McCarron (Monaghan)

Sunday January 13 (2pm):

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup: Section A

St Mary's v Armagh at Lurgan; Ref: Seamus O'Hanlon (Down)

Derry v Fermanagh at Celtic Park; Ref: Seamus McGonigle (Donegal)

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup: Section B

UUJ v Down at Newcastle; Ref: Padraig Mullan (Antrim); Donegal v Tyrone at Ballyshannon; Ref: Martin Higgins (Fermanagh)

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup: Section C

Monaghan v Antrim at Ballybay; Ref: Gavin Corrigan (Down)

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

DownFanatic

The team id like to see starting tomorrow night v Tyrone.

1. D.Alder (Carryduff)
2. C.McGovern (Burren)
3. P.Murphy (Ballyholland)
4. D.Rafferty (Shamrocks)
5. K.McKernan (Burren)
6. L.Doyle (Liatroim)
7. B.Rooney (Mayobridge)
8. D.Gordon (Loughinisland)
9. J.Lynch (Drumgath)
10. J.Fegan (Clonduff)
11. R.Sexton (Mayobridge)
12. R.Murtagh (Ballyholland)
13. R.Stranney (Loughinisland)
14. C.Gribben (Bryansford)
15. D.Hughes (Saval)

goldenyears

1. D.Alder (Carryduff) probable
2. C.McGovern (Burren) probable
3. P.Murphy (Ballyholland) defiitely not - at least 6 weeks away from making any sort of appearance
4. D.Rafferty (Shamrocks) probably not, but very close to full fitness
5. K.McKernan (Burren) probable
6. L.Doyle (Liatroim) probable
7. B.Rooney (Mayobridge) probable
8. D.Gordon (Loughinisland) definite
9. J.Lynch (Drumgath) probable
10. J.Fegan (Clonduff) possible
11. R.Sexton (Mayobridge) definite
12. R.Murtagh (Ballyholland) definitely not - stomach bug
13. R.Stranney (Loughinisland) unlikely
14. C.Gribben (Bryansford)possible
15. D.Hughes (Saval)definite

i think you can add in other definites such as martin cole, declan rooney and john clarke,

Brick Tamlin

1. Declan Alder
2. Ciaran McGovern
3. John Clarke
4. Martin Cole
5. ??????
6. Liam Doyle
7. Brendan Rooney
8. Dan Gordon
9. Jackie Lynch
10. Kevin Mc Kernan
11. Ronan Sexton
12.John Fegan
13. ????????
14. Conor Gribben
15. D.Hughes

lfdown2

just out of interest lads why is no one giving bernie connell a chance in nets?

miss mess

to be fair if brendan mveigh is back in the panel, he'll be first choice

lfdown2

lisdoon1

Out of all 3 Connell would be my 1st choice for this year. I think if he got a good run in the team to build his confidence he would do well for us.

I really really cant wait to see mccomiskey in the red and black later in the year. I have been following him for Queens this year and he has been plaing some great ball...

wobbller

: lisdoon1 and  lfdown2.Are you talking to yourself or each other or are you Connell or his brother/friend.Wise up

lfdown2

wise up why?
i simply asked why he was being over looked!
not him or his brother father cousin... though always considered him a good keeper!? ok?

Leo

Alder is the best in the county - huge presence, good mobility, accurate l& ong kick-outs - all the essentails.
Fierce tame altogether

whyarerefssobad

always look on the bright side

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: wobbller on January 09, 2008, 06:26:46 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on January 09, 2008, 05:39:03 PM
wise up why?
i simply asked why he was being over looked!
not him or his brother father cousin... though always considered him a good keeper!? ok?
You're telling little fibs as well as talking to yourself

Wobbller you are an ass hole!

lfdown2 is trying to start a good discussion here on the issue of the down Goalkeeper and all you can be is a total stain!

Think the board would be better off if you departed from it!!!!

Slán!