Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skat man

Quote from: JimStynes on February 09, 2023, 01:59:03 PM
Quote from: skat man on February 09, 2023, 01:48:21 PM
12 training sessions with an under 17 team already seems like a-lot considering the school season was/is in full swing

We are an antrim club and we don't have any lads on the county and St. Ronan's are out of the McCrory cup already. We have 4 or maybe 5 playing some sort of school football. No one in the squad is being flogged! And our season is starting 4 weeks this Sunday.

i see , it thought you were from Down. Makes sense for Antrim to stay as they are with that timline . There are no fixtures out yet in down except for the u19 ones which would take place no matter what solution was picked . underage in down doesnt start until april so we had time unlike you in Antrim

manwithnoplan

Quote from: skat man on February 09, 2023, 01:44:03 PM
it feels like you didn't read the context of my comment

the difference between using a size 4 and size 5 at under 16 is trivial
the difference between playing go game rules or not  at under 14 or stopping it at 12 is trivial
The difference between kids playing with their classmates and not for under 12 is trivial
The main issue is we are asking 17 year old school kids to train and play with physically developed adult men and if they dont want to do that because rightly them and/or their parents would feel they aren't ready theres an ill thought out farce of an under 19 tournament or they can wait until the winter and train in muck and play in under20s

I agree with your broader points and am personally a massive fan of go games as it develops teams not individuals

Hardly a major issue given that for decades there have been 17 year olds (and younger) training with senior teams and playing senior football with no trend of a serious issue being caused by this.

skat man

i accept there hasn't been a trend i have heard of in years gone by but you also must accept that senior footballers are far more conditioned now and the power deferential between a young lad and a senior man has greatly increased. the other point is the level of commitment needed for 95% of senior set ups now is very very high and with kids at a very important point in their education minors was always tailored around exam times to cater for this . its done now , im just not sure it couldnt have worked this year and gave lots of lads around the country more opportuity than they have for 2023

manwithnoplan

Quote from: skat man on February 09, 2023, 04:56:54 PM
i accept there hasn't been a trend i have heard of in years gone by but you also must accept that senior footballers are far more conditioned now and the power deferential between a young lad and a senior man has greatly increased. the other point is the level of commitment needed for 95% of senior set ups now is very very high and with kids at a very important point in their education minors was always tailored around exam times to cater for this . its done now , im just not sure it couldnt have worked this year and gave lots of lads around the country more opportuity than they have for 2023

Fair enough point regarding the strength and conditioning factor. But when it comes to exams etc well that's just part of learning how to balance life. That requires strong parenting and understanding from the coaches, which I accept you may or may not get depending on each individual club, but wouldn't we all like to believe clubs would take that in to account when it comes to these young players, and not "punish" them for taking time out for exams.

Pocs pints and the gaa

Quote from: JimStynes on February 09, 2023, 01:59:03 PM
Quote from: skat man on February 09, 2023, 01:48:21 PM
12 training sessions with an under 17 team already seems like a-lot considering the school season was/is in full swing

We are an antrim club and we don't have any lads on the county and St. Ronan's are out of the McCrory cup already. We have 4 or maybe 5 playing some sort of school football. No one in the squad is being flogged! And our season is starting 4 weeks this Sunday.

An Antrim club commenting on a Down forum about an Armagh school. Not hard to guess your club JS.

Johnnysboys

Barry O'Hagan out for the year, McAleenan away to Australia at the minute and big Pat Havern heading away soon too could have a lasting impact on the group in the latter part of the league campaign. Any word on when big Fin is ready to play again - a serious competitor?

Leftmidfield

Is the MacCrory final being streamed anywhere today ?

Leftmidfield

Mourne Red

https://twitter.com/seanmcgoldrick1/status/1624734013305901056?s=46&t=Pl3d-puRwhOReV8UXGsWrw

Since 2007. We've had the lowest funding for Coaching/Games Development. Something wrong there when Derry got twice what we got.

Johnnysboys

The bottom half of this payment league table have brought a fair amount of success to their counties in either hurling or football. I count 16 All Ireland and 14 provincial titles - so it's not necessarily about the amount of money - it's about what is done with it and other financial backing county boards get from corporate sponsors and various club draws.
If down were to calculate how much they have paid management setups since this money started flowing it would be scary and very little goin to development in hurling and football at underage. That's our real problem - being bled dry from within - especially the current setup.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Johnnysboys on February 12, 2023, 09:30:32 PM
The bottom half of this payment league table have brought a fair amount of success to their counties in either hurling or football. I count 16 All Ireland and 14 provincial titles - so it's not necessarily about the amount of money - it's about what is done with it and other financial backing county boards get from corporate sponsors and various club draws.
If down were to calculate how much they have paid management setups since this money started flowing it would be scary and very little goin to development in hurling and football at underage. That's our real problem - being bled dry from within - especially the current setup.

What does that mean ?

johnnycool

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 13, 2023, 09:02:57 AM
Quote from: Johnnysboys on February 12, 2023, 09:30:32 PM

What does that mean ?

That means that if you look at Tyrone, they didn't get much more than Down yet are second to none in the development stakes.

They are generating a lot of their own development funds and evidently are using it well.

snoopdog

Gaa bailed Down out after burrenbridge. Still paying that off and I think I heard somewhere that is an affect to the funding Down receive.

johnnycool

Quote from: snoopdog on February 13, 2023, 09:50:01 AM
Gaa bailed Down out after burrenbridge. Still paying that off and I think I heard somewhere that is an affect to the funding Down receive.

Possibly, but I thought we were still paying it back to Croke Park.