Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

some senior clubs back training for 2023 already, do teams not take a break. Hearing stories of underage teams in gym all over winter

Smurfy123

I'd be worried if underage teams weren't doing some sort of stuff. What else would they be at in November and December?
Great to see so many clubs continuing to offer stuff for clubs whether it be gym basketball circuits it's great to see
Why would young players want a break?

terrifictommy

Even professional sports people have a break. The reason is it helps recharge themselves from constant demands, both physical and mental. Not saying players should t keep up some degree of fitness but I think they need time for themselves. Que the argument of why player retention is so shite

Sandstorm

Doesn't seem to be a problem in Kilcoo

thebar

Quote from: Sandstorm on November 15, 2022, 09:13:30 PM
Doesn't seem to be a problem in Kilcoo
Kilcoo, due to playing numbers and standard of the squad are well rotated throughout the year. Men playing now all had different spells along the line, didnt strip out earlier in the year and had periods of rest. Performance and rest go hand in hand as Kilcoo have shown.

Smurfy123

Sure all underage football in Down finished this 2 months

lumpitin

St Louis having a talk night friday night with our new county manager, pete mcgrath, mickey harte and marty clarke. 8pm shall be a good night

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Smurfy123 on November 15, 2022, 05:18:29 PM
I’d be worried if underage teams weren’t doing some sort of stuff. What else would they be at in November and December?
Great to see so many clubs continuing to offer stuff for clubs whether it be gym basketball circuits it’s great to see

Young players are now under pressure 12 months of the year to meet targets or complete specific training/gym sessions. Pressure that in most cases will have a negative impact on young people, as they have other pressures at that age with education or choosing a path for employment. Sport is supposed to offer a release. Expectations placed on young players by their clubs should be reasonable and balanced against whatever else is going on in their lives at that age. Many will be playing schools football, let them focus on that as it doesn't last long, any extra club training on top of that is no good for anyone.

Pocs pints and the gaa

Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 16, 2022, 11:07:05 AM
I'd be worried if underage teams weren't doing some sort of stuff. What else would they be at in November and December?
Great to see so many clubs continuing to offer stuff for clubs whether it be gym basketball circuits it's great to see

Young players are now under pressure 12 months of the year to meet targets or complete specific training/gym sessions. Pressure that in most cases will have a negative impact on young people, as they have other pressures at that age with education or choosing a path for employment. Sport is supposed to offer a release. Expectations placed on young players by their clubs should be reasonable and balanced against whatever else is going on in their lives at that age. Many will be playing schools football, let them focus on that as it doesn't last long, any extra club training on top of that is no good for anyone.

There are some lads who don't play for their schools. And there are some schools you wouldn't want your young lad playing for. If clubs don't offer activity at this time of the year the alternative is sit in the house on the latest gadgets.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Pocs pints and the gaa on November 16, 2022, 05:47:50 PM

There are some lads who don't play for their schools. And there are some schools you wouldn't want your young lad playing for. If clubs don't offer activity at this time of the year the alternative is sit in the house on the latest gadgets.

Big difference between "offering something" to keep them active, and giving them structured gym programmes.

Mourne Red

Quote from: manwithnoplan on November 16, 2022, 09:34:47 PM
Quote from: Pocs pints and the gaa on November 16, 2022, 05:47:50 PM

Big difference between "offering something" to keep them active, and giving them structured gym programmes.

Got to get the guns in shape for Quinn's/Hilltown or wherever it's youngsters go to discos now

Truth hurts

I see the Ballyholland and Annaclone game replayed in b championship this weekend. Ballyholland broke the rules.

Nanderson

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 17, 2022, 10:23:39 AM
I see the Ballyholland and Annaclone game replayed in b championship this weekend. Ballyholland broke the rules.
And so did Annaclone

2badteams

They both did

Truth hurts

Quote from: Nanderson on November 17, 2022, 11:00:00 AM
And so did Annaclone

not in the semi final game, you have 72 hours to make an appeal so nothing else matters