Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 18, 2022, 09:15:40 AM
Look I think Benny with the u16s should move up to minors, I think the players would be happy and he would generate support from throughout as he is a legend in the county.
I would be more worried about the senior job tbh, it needs to be rubber-stamped asap as the intercounty season bar two teams is over and everyone is looking for managers.

If James is staying then get that in writing otherwise get looking, we would be in danger of another year of the same crap. Please learn from our mistakes.
I hope this is the county management's main aim this week, get it sorted folks!

Because someone's a legend? What difference does that make?

Young lads mightn't even know who Benny is?

More important this is, I think, is he a good manager/coach?

Truth hurts

Quote from: marty34 on July 18, 2022, 09:29:03 AM
Look I think Benny with the u16s should move up to minors, I think the players would be happy and he would generate support from throughout as he is a legend in the county.
I would be more worried about the senior job tbh, it needs to be rubber-stamped asap as the intercounty season bar two teams is over and everyone is looking for managers.

If James is staying then get that in writing otherwise get looking, we would be in danger of another year of the same crap. Please learn from our mistakes.

The young lads who are currently being coached by him at u16 level ::) ::) ::)

marty34

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 18, 2022, 09:46:00 AM

All well and good.

How's he doing? Is he a good coach?

The quote was he's a  legend...Roy Keane's a legend but not a great coach etc.  That's my point.

Truth hurts

Quote from: marty34 on July 18, 2022, 10:34:14 AM

All well and good.

The quote was he's a  legend...Roy Keane's a legend but not a great coach etc.  That's my point.

I have never been coached by him but reports from Longstone and Rostrevor are good.

5times5times

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 18, 2022, 10:55:45 AM
Quote from: marty34 on July 18, 2022, 10:34:14 AM

All well and good.

I have never been coached by him but reports from Longstone and Rostrevor are good.

Good reports with a winning % of 7.7%.......  :o :o :o :o

Truth hurts

Ok, can you give us names for the job then? This board is what's wrong with Down GAA, all complaining and no one with answers. I bet 90% of the people on the forum hardly volunteer put are the first to complain.

5times5times

Quote from: Truth hurts on July 18, 2022, 12:13:08 PM
Ok, can you give us names for the job then? This board is what's wrong with Down GAA, all complaining and no one with answers. I bet 90% of the people on the forum hardly volunteer put are the first to complain.

How about starting with people who have been successful in previous roles? We've went down the path of hiring almost every member of the 91 & 94 teams.. The kitman will be next!

My query is, what has he done to warrant an important county role? Same as Poacher and the likes.

Truth hurts

Quote from: 5times5times on July 18, 2022, 12:16:37 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on July 18, 2022, 12:13:08 PM

How about starting with people who have been successful in previous roles? We've went down the path of hiring almost every member of the 91 & 94 teams.. The kitman will be next!

My query is, what has he done to warrant an important county role? Same as Poacher and the likes.

"same as Poacher and the likes"

Another crap argument, who are the likes?

My query is give me a better person to take them? Give me answers, people are quick to shoot down people,  I respect any man who puts their face towards managing a senior team, its 24/7 job.
So please without trying to ridicule another name could you please give me the names of candidates who you would prefer to take on our minor job as I am certainly open to discussion.

Quit with the whataboutery

lumpitin

i see pete sr and jr are taking rostrevor u17s at the minute. Would he be up for the minor job?

Hard2Listen2

I'm told that the powers that be already have someone for the minor role.
Not sure what the delay in announcing it is.
Might be finalising back room team?

stiff breeze

It should be someone with a good record of working with youth teams of a similar age at either club or county level. Surely clubs who had interested parties could nominate someone and then begin a whittling down process based on results and reports etc . There would always be a few delusional characters putting their names forward but surely these could be quickly weeded out by a panel and use an interview process for the final 10 names .

Is the main way we get these managers currently through them being involved in the county underage setups?

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: stiff breeze on July 19, 2022, 12:31:49 AM
It should be someone with a good record of working with youth teams of a similar age at either club or county level. Surely clubs who had interested parties could nominate someone and then begin a whittling down process based on results and reports etc . There would always be a few delusional characters putting their names forward but surely these could be quickly weeded out by a panel and use an interview process for the final 10 names .

Is the main way we get these managers currently through them being involved in the county underage setups?

No. It's usually through being involved with Burren or QUB!

#TheDownWay

Truth hurts

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on July 19, 2022, 06:47:51 AM
Quote from: stiff breeze on July 19, 2022, 12:31:49 AM

No. It's usually through being involved with Burren or QUB!

#TheDownWay

You should put your name forward for the county executive in DEC

terrifictommy

The pseudo name says it all really

Not all good club managers become good county managers. Similar to players. Some club managers tend to have come through their underage schemes with a group because of family playing and don't want to move away from that into a county position.

stiff breeze

I get that entirely , but also not all good county players become good managers either. I'd said only interested parties would be nominated too so not asking anyone to leave a team that didn't want to  . Maybe it was an ideal world suggestion but I genuinely would like to know how it currently works