Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: Bacon on December 08, 2007, 10:33:57 AM
According to Matt in the Recorder Annsborough are reforming and intend to enter competitions next year. What's the story?

Annsborough and Auglisnafin or instead of??

Pangurban

Annsborough are entering a hurling team, appears to be a ploy to hold on to their Social Club under G.A.A. aegis. Certainly never displayed any interest in hurling before, and in all likelihood will not be able to fulfil fixtures

Pangurban

Brendan Mason will manage teconnaught next season

Guillem2

Cousin of mine won a JHC medal with Annsborough in the 1980s. I think you'll find they were hurling then.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Pangurban

I stand corrected guillem, thanks for info

Lecale2

Quote from: Pangurban on December 09, 2007, 12:14:28 AM
Annsborough are entering a hurling team, appears to be a ploy to hold on to their Social Club under G.A.A. aegis. Certainly never displayed any interest in hurling before, and in all likelihood will not be able to fulfil fixtures

Where will they get the players? Annsborough did win a Special JHC in the mid 1980s but I don't think there would be too many of those boys still fit to play!

umpire

I would be grateful if someone be able to inform me the names and their club of 1966 Down Minor Team that fail in All Ireland final.

I think that these are the  players but please correct me

John Harte, Drumaness
Lian Sloan, Ballymartin
Brendan Sloan, Attical
Noel Miller, Burren
Peter Turley, Glenn
Colm McAlarney, Liatriom
Dalsey Mooney, Clonduff
Mickey Cole. Rostrevor
John Murphy, Newry Shamrocks
Peter Rooney, Warrrenpoint
John Purdy, Tullylish 

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on December 09, 2007, 01:29:07 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on December 09, 2007, 12:14:28 AM

Where will they get the players? Annsborough did win a Special JHC in the mid 1980s but I don't think there would be too many of those boys still fit to play!

I played Junior against Annsborough quite a few moons ago so I hope it's a genuine attempt to reform a team but with Castlewellan just up the hill struggling it's hard to see how they'd have the numbers

spiritof91and94

Heard that HJ and Tony Burden got voted out yesterday - is this true?

behind the wire

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on December 10, 2007, 09:22:36 AM

yes
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

johnneycool

Quote from: behind the wire on December 10, 2007, 09:30:53 AM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on December 10, 2007, 09:22:36 AM

yes

Did HJ not have his 5 year term up anyway?

Who replaces them?

I also hear that the £5K that most clubs paid a few years back has reared up again in relation to 5 clubs who never paid it in the first place. Portaferry and Ballycran are two of them, who are the other three?

An Duin Abu

End of an era if HJ Harper has gone, a great servant to the county and will be a big loss.As regards the 5 clubs still to pay their £5,000 this matter was being dealt with @ County Board level and should be leftthere to be sorted, don't wash the linen in public

Leo

Quote from: An Duin Abu on December 10, 2007, 02:10:21 PM
End of an era if HJ Harper has gone, a great servant to the county and will be a big loss.As regards the 5 clubs still to pay their £5,000 this matter was being dealt with @ County Board level and should be leftthere to be sorted, don't wash the linen in public

I disagree totally. If clubs havent piad, every other club and member is entitled to know. They are also entitled to know how the maoney paid has been used - ie, has the debt been cleared or reduced and if not why not? This type of transparency is required now in Down as there are too many rumours out there about the county finances.
Fierce tame altogether

An Duin Abu

That is my point exactly Leo. Speaking from experience it is the rumour and counter rumour that has the county the way it is and is continuing to fester and do damage. I speak as someone who was a county board delegate and the back biting that goes on at that level between clubs is uncalled for. In order for the county to move on we need to move on as clubs. If you have any genuine queries raise them through your club and let them take it up at county board level and then report back to your committee. This sort of thing should not be discussed on a noticeboard (PS if you were to raise it through your club you would be very surprised who the 5 'defaulters' are. You would also be very surprised and look at them in a different light if you knew the reason for their lack of contribution!)

Coiste Contae An Duin need the time to develop the county instead of having to rake over old dying embers. The men who were in place in my opinion were nothing short of transparent at all times and there was and is nothing sinister to report.Let's move on together and bring us back to where we belong at the top of the tree. Let the men and women who have been elected deal with the issues raised

Don't do this on a message board for all to see,we should have respect for your county.

Niall Quinn

Quote from: An Duin Abu on December 10, 2007, 03:27:31 PM

Don't do this on a message board for all to see,we should have respect for your county.

Didn't your first post on this board fall foul of exactly what you're describing?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad