Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

SticksandStones

Anyword on John McKernan from Burren being called up to the panel?

Truth hurts

Quote from: SticksandStones on March 14, 2022, 12:19:54 PM
Anyword on John McKernan from Burren being called up to the panel?

Who?

TakeTheMark

Quote from: Nanderson on March 14, 2022, 10:27:04 AM
Am I right in saying a win for Cork at the weekend relegates Down as Cork play Offaly in the last game so one team will pick up at least 1 point. That would put Down on 1-3 points depending on clare result. Whoever loses on 3. The winners on 5 and if its a draw both Cork and offaly on 4

Correct.
And if Down get the win its game on into the final day.
However, a draw and an Offaly win/draw at home to Roscommon opens up a whole host of interesting possibilities and permutations.

manwithnoplan

Truth hurts

rosskarr

Sunday sees us with lowest scoring return against the worst defence in all of 4 Divs?

Oglach

Quote from: Sandstorm on March 14, 2022, 01:15:57 AM
Consider yourself reprimand Johnysboys. You obviously don't like Kilcoo but get over it, they are All Ireland Champions on merit. We would all like our club to be there but no justification to your pathetic jealousy. Positive posts in future please.
Couldn't agree more!

Johnnysboys

Consider yourself reprimand Johnysboys. You obviously don't like Kilcoo but get over it, they are All Ireland Champions on merit. We would all like our club to be there but no justification to your pathetic jealousy. Positive posts in future please.

No issue with Kilcoo in the slightest. But call a spade a spade they stole the final.. totally unlike them to play so bad but still got over the line. I'm in no way jealous of them at all as I know where my club stand within the county n that's not winning All Irelands.
This weekends game could possibly be the biggest in a decade for Down. We were so close on Saturday but no cigar so back to scratch for this weekend. I think Cork are in a bit of disarray though with management in the spotlight. A draw is no good to either so it has the makings of a good game with both teams going for broke.

Oglach

The whole thing is a bit of a shambles at the moment.
I don't for a second blame James McCartan as he was handed a hot potato, I actually admire him for taking the job on knowing how difficult it was likely to be.
I agree with an earlier post implying that McCory was walking into an ambush situation, best manager we've possibly ever had hounded out over a couple of bad results while he was building a team.
This season was a similar scenario, Laverty, Clarke, and Jim McGuinness among others lined up to be the next managerial team and someone from a small group of people in the know leak that information!
It's well known McGuinness values confidentiality and it was clear he wasn't getting it in Down! They all walked and rightly so.
I blame the county board, not everyone obviously but the same sabotage team that constantly hold the county back for whatever reasons they have. IMO it's absolutely rotten.

Oglach

Quote from: Johnnysboys on March 14, 2022, 10:10:13 PM

No issue with Kilcoo in the slightest. But call a spade a spade they stole the final.. totally unlike them to play so bad but still got over the line. I'm in no way jealous of them at all as I know where my club stand within the county n that's not winning All Irelands.
This weekends game could possibly be the biggest in a decade for Down. We were so close on Saturday but no cigar so back to scratch for this weekend. I think Cork are in a bit of disarray though with management in the spotlight. A draw is no good to either so it has the makings of a good game with both teams going for broke.
My take on Kilcoo's all Ireland final is this.
Yes they had a bit of luck in the second half with the goal that came of the 45m free but had absolutely no luck in the 1st half.
Some say playing in Croke Park is just another football field! Having spoken to a few of the players they'll tell you it's definitely not, especially playing into the canal end with a swirling wind and goalposts  that seem to deceive you.
The final was Kilmacud's third match at headquarters in the season, that along with their contingent of Dublin seniors, minors ect having played there regularly was a massive advantage.
Kilcoo were on the back foot from the start and showed absolutely remarkable grit to win.

Wildweasel74

Used to admire Down teams, 1thing I notice there not big down the spine anybody like there 94 team. Down beat Derry 2 yrs ago, yes Derry since improved alot but still players within the county I have on but not on the panel  due to attitude. but how come Down went in total reverse. They were def in a better place 2 yrs ago. Had some decent forwards few yrs bck. Should there not be at least 5 Kilcoo players starting, Glen and, Slaughtneil form the basis of the Derry team.

Smurfy123

A must win game this weekend literally

The players really need to stand up
Some looked uninterested against a woeful Offaly team

MaCartan had tried everything. He even took Laverty into train the squad this past 2 weeks and it hasn't worked either. Some lads apparently huffing after a few home truths from Laverty

I would be starting Murdock and Quinn on Sunday. Both are great players

Truth hurts

Quote from: Oglach on March 14, 2022, 10:19:37 PM
The whole thing is a bit of a shambles at the moment.
I don't for a second blame James McCartan as he was handed a hot potato, I actually admire him for taking the job on knowing how difficult it was likely to be.
I agree with an earlier post implying that McCory was walking into an ambush situation, best manager we've possibly ever had hounded out over a couple of bad results while he was building a team.
This season was a similar scenario, Laverty, Clarke, and Jim McGuinness among others lined up to be the next managerial team and someone from a small group of people in the know leak that information!
It's well known McGuinness values confidentiality and it was clear he wasn't getting it in Down! They all walked and rightly so.
I blame the county board, not everyone obviously but the same sabotage team that constantly hold the county back for whatever reasons they have. IMO it's absolutely rotten.

You do know the county board is made up of reps from every club including your own. Your rep proposed a no-confidence in Paddy Tally which was seconded by the Clonduff rep . There is no point in pointing fingers at anyone. We need to come together as a county and not to keep jibing at the county board or executive.

shagger