Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 06, 2022, 09:07:39 AM
You are basing this on a challenge against a team they are likely to face in the championship in 6 weeks ? Do you think by any chance there might have been a few players missing, a few players playingout of position, hiding of a few tactical ploys? If not I'd be surprised and extremely disappointed in Lavertys footballing intelligence.

On a side note was the under 20s coaches training the seniors during the week ?  What does that tell u about our senior setup ...
My thinking also. Leo murphy is 3 friendlies. Didn't Down u20s hammer everyone in sight in it 2 years ago to then lose to Donegal in the championship. While Down have a very poor record v Tyrone at all levels in the last 25 years I wouldn't be too bothered about a preseason loss.

snoopdog

Big result for the hurlers. 1.18 to 1.16 win in Mullingar. Well Done.

Lotto

Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2022, 08:29:28 PM
Quote from: Lotto on March 05, 2022, 08:15:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2022, 12:49:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on March 05, 2022, 12:34:19 PM
U20's Well beaten by tyrone this morning. 3.14 to 0.7. Due to the lack of social media posts, no of idea of the starting team or the squad. So far behind other counties with this, it's laughable.

Down actually has one of the best social media presences of any county board in Ireland.

Has to be one of the funniest posts on here in a while - you don't actually believe this, it has been a shambles for years.

It's really not Lotto. To be honest I think there's a needy and unfair expectation from some that the county board's social media team should be on duty for 20+ hours a week every week, publishing anything and everything.

It's also often at odds with what is actually possible. If team management refuse to release information, then they can't make it up.... Unless you think PRO folks should be able to identify by face, a panel of 25 x 19 year olds. And there's more than a few ultra paranoid managers in football these day who ascribe to the paranoid absolute nonsense that publishing a team sheet online, or live tweeting the flow of a game, is revealing their hand to future opponents and therefore giving away an advantage.

Wobbler, in one week Down have one tweet on a school game, one on the league fixtures, one on a Hurling course and one on a football course, 2 tweets on the Down U.20 scores, Down Hurling team and scores throughout the game so apart from the county Hurling game there were only 6 tweets in a week. We are not asking for anything more keeping us informed but surely there was more going on in the county this week that could have been publicised. Most clubs do a better job.

SHEEDY

Quote from: snoopdog on March 06, 2022, 03:52:29 PM
brilliant result. Great to see.
nil satis nisi optimum

Lotto

You are basing this on a challenge against a team they are likely to face in the championship in 6 weeks ? Do you think by any chance there might have been a few players missing, a few players playingout of position, hiding of a few tactical ploys? If not I'd be surprised and extremely disappointed in Lavertys footballing intelligence.

On a side note was the under 20s coaches training the seniors during the week ?  What does that tell u about our senior setup ...

What is this all about, we're giving serious bucks to a coaching setup and they get other people to train the team? Laverty didn't want to be taking the seniors and now he is in there by the back door. I know the original setup aren't getting results but surely this is hitting the panic button a bit. U.20's result yesterday Tyrone 3-14 Down 0-07 and now they are telling the seniors what to do. What a crazy situation.

supersub

Quote from: Lotto on March 06, 2022, 04:18:45 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2022, 08:29:28 PM
Quote from: Lotto on March 05, 2022, 08:15:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2022, 12:49:20 PM
Quote from: Ed Hardy on March 05, 2022, 12:34:19 PM
U20's Well beaten by tyrone this morning. 3.14 to 0.7. Due to the lack of social media posts, no of idea of the starting team or the squad. So far behind other counties with this, it's laughable.

Down actually has one of the best social media presences of any county board in Ireland.

Has to be one of the funniest posts on here in a while - you don't actually believe this, it has been a shambles for years.

It's really not Lotto. To be honest I think there's a needy and unfair expectation from some that the county board's social media team should be on duty for 20+ hours a week every week, publishing anything and everything.

It's also often at odds with what is actually possible. If team management refuse to release information, then they can't make it up.... Unless you think PRO folks should be able to identify by face, a panel of 25 x 19 year olds. And there's more than a few ultra paranoid managers in football these day who ascribe to the paranoid absolute nonsense that publishing a team sheet online, or live tweeting the flow of a game, is revealing their hand to future opponents and therefore giving away an advantage.

Wobbler, in one week Down have one tweet on a school game, one on the league fixtures, one on a Hurling course and one on a football course, 2 tweets on the Down U.20 scores, Down Hurling team and scores throughout the game so apart from the county Hurling game there were only 6 tweets in a week. We are not asking for anything more keeping us informed but surely there was more going on in the county this week that could have been publicised. Most clubs do a better job.

So quite a few tweets on different things going on in the county that could be of interest to people...coaching courses, schools football, I see Scór in there too on Facebook, plus the u20 & hurling games. Don't think you've done your argument much good there Lotto I'm afraid. The counties we are 'miles behind' as some have put it like Tyrone, during this week, before the weekend had one tweet on Ukraine support, and two on U17 football, hardly groundbreaking. Some people just love a good moan unfortunately.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: snoopdog on March 06, 2022, 12:23:06 PM

My thinking also. Leo murphy is 3 friendlies. Didn't Down u20s hammer everyone in sight in it 2 years ago to then lose to Donegal in the championship. While Down have a very poor record v Tyrone at all levels in the last 25 years I wouldn't be too bothered about a preseason loss.

3 friendlies - but yet when we win the previous two games we are class and management is best ever. Now we get beat it's only friendliest and Laverty is being shrewd with team selection.. it's like listening to kids in the park sometimes...

rosskarr

Wee James getting the excuses in early in advance of Sat's must win game.

snoopdog

Quote from: rosskarr on March 07, 2022, 11:05:02 AM
17 players trained at weekend. Would he not be able to call up players to the squad? 

johnnycool

Quote from: SHEEDY on March 06, 2022, 04:47:40 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on March 06, 2022, 03:52:29 PM
brilliant result. Great to see.

Was a good result, two missed penalties, Down put one wide, Stephen Keith at the other end has a very good record of saving them at the other.

One arse cheek in the Div2A promotion final, but could be scuppered in the last round if Kerry beat them and Westmeath take the points off Kildare in Newbridge.

It's been a while since Kerry have travelled North so hopefully the home venue shades it for Down, but even at that a third spot would secure the "semi-final" in so much as it's a 3rd vrs 2nd place game to see who plays the 1st placed time in the final.

One game too many IMO for this nonsense.

Truth hurts

What way is the u19 competition going? I see RGU did not field yesterday. I suppose the Armagh clubs filled in a hole for the team who could not field but I cannot see anyone beating Burren.

A big week for us and I really hope and I think we can beat Offally. Team selection will be massive but I think if we get the right team out we should do it.

It is excellent to see the hurlers doing well. Fair play to Ronan and the boys.

In relation to the PR, some people like to have a moan against volunteers for no reason. Down GAA PR is really good and is run by a good group of volunteers. I have no doubt they will be glad of more help from the likes of lotto, mourne red and Ed.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 07, 2022, 12:31:04 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 07, 2022, 12:11:26 PM
What way is the u19 competition going? I see RGU did not field yesterday. I suppose the Armagh clubs filled in a hole for the team who could not field but I cannot see anyone beating Burren.

A big week for us and I really hope and I think we can beat Offally. Team selection will be massive but I think if we get the right team out we should do it.

In relation to the PR, some people like to have a moan against volunteers for no reason. Down GAA PR is really good and is run by a good group of volunteers. I have no doubt they will be glad of more help from the likes of lotto, mourne red and Ed.

Too busy playing and coaching Truth - maybe if you got out of the eateries in East Down you'd be able help your own club out and get Ballykinlar off its hole.

All I did was compare it to the ladies pr which I prefer the way they work but TheWob mad a good point about the paranoia of mens football

Down LGFA facebook is too much fss Yetsreday morning our u14 went for a walk up the mountain. Like come on lol

Lloyd p

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 07, 2022, 12:31:04 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on March 07, 2022, 12:11:26 PM

Too busy playing and coaching Truth - maybe if you got out of the eateries in East Down you'd be able help your own club out and get Ballykinlar off its hole.

Ex Dundrum and now Loughinisland player and coaching guru?? ;D

Too many steps

Quote from: snoopdog on March 06, 2022, 12:23:06 PM

U20 Lineup on Saturday (again from memory and some of the starters were wearing sub jerseys).

1 T Burns
2 M Hynds
3 R Magill
4 J Kane
5 P McCarthy
6 C Rodgers
7 P McEvoy
8 S Donegan
9 S Carr
10 J Rodgers
11 C McLoughlin
12 O Savage
13 S McCusker
14 P Clancy
15  L Clarke

Couple of things on last years team:

To say they only won because of a easy draw is whataboutery and takes away from the young lads achievement. They can only beat who's in front of them and to be fair there's been a few times in recent years where a so called 'favourable draw' has proved not to be the case (like the minors a couple of years back v Fermanagh). Anyone who watched last year's team will know they were a good team and I would say would have had a good chance even if they had have drawn some of the 'super powers'. We'll never know but that shouldn't detract from their achievement.

This year's panel is nearly a completely different team from last year - only 2 starters from last year have played so far - a few more from the panel still in there but I think Sean Og was only one to get championship match time last year.

Total clearout of midfield and forward line from last year. Last years group of forwards in particular were a good crop and would be hard to replace them all.

Looking at Saturday they were dominated in midfield and nothing stuck up front.

Would need O Murdock back to midfield (not sure if that will happen now he's in senior panel) and J McGovern back up front (soccer commitments might not allow this) to strengthen team.

Obviously a few missing as well this week - not sure if it was illness/injury or just CL playing his cards close to his chest. Probably a combination of both.

SamFever

Quote from: snoopdog on March 07, 2022, 11:14:26 AM
Quote from: rosskarr on March 07, 2022, 11:05:02 AM
17 players trained at weekend. Would he not be able to call up players to the squad?
Too many were dropped from the squad too soon.It's not as if the existing ones
are shining.