Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upandwin

Relegation being scrapped has been a massive boost for Reds, Ford, Loughinisland, Harps and Carryduff...when RGU and probably the Stone come up, I think we will have a very competitive 12 team Division1...What happened Ward at the Rostrevor game? He'd be a massive miss for them if badly hurt...he's a super footballer and has become a key man for the Magpies when the chips are down in recent years. Where are all the players away to Super? I know Mooney going was a huge blow (would be to any team) but are others injured or just unable to commit?

Mayobridge might go under the radar and be happy with that...great result v Carryduff, any reports on that game? I think Burren will be the biggest beneficiary of the 20s getting beaten...Danny and Ryan Magill big additions

Truth hurts

How bad was Wards injury?  I know they have a great squad but Devlin and Ward are massive players for them

I said it before that Clonduff always have a great team on paper but they always shit themselves.

SuperRed

It seems to be shoulder; could be a collar bone maybe. He was taken off after some treatment on the park... Mixture of all sorts of things it would appear with Rostrevor. Work, other commitments, injuries, miscellaneous - some good men will hardly feature this season, but some other young players are showing well. You're right about the saving grace a few clubs will see with the no relegation. It even sets them up nicely for next year with the right circumstances with two sides coming up that no matter what, you'll fancy that you can get over in the league.

Truth hurts

The strong are getting stronger and the weak are getting weaker within the county. Some clubs are able to maximize their players and resources while other clubs cannot get their players on the field.

Does anyone know that reason? There seem to be areas in the county that they just live and breathe Gaelic football, other places can take it or leave it.

Would it be an idea to regionalise areas again for senior championshp?

Truth hurts

Quote from: SuperRed on August 09, 2021, 03:05:15 PM
It seems to be shoulder; could be a collar bone maybe. He was taken off after some treatment on the park... Mixture of all sorts of things it would appear with Rostrevor. Work, other commitments, injuries, miscellaneous - some good men will hardly feature this season, but some other young players are showing well. You're right about the saving grace a few clubs will see with the no relegation. It even sets them up nicely for next year with the right circumstances with two sides coming up that no matter what, you'll fancy that you can get over in the league.

Sorry to be blunt, but is there an issue with holding onto players in your club? Did you not have a really successful underage spell?

SuperRed

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 09, 2021, 03:37:36 PM

Sorry to be blunt, but is there an issue with holding onto players in your club? Did you not have a really successful underage spell?

We had a nearly two decades worth of continuous underage success, but it's a bit more complicated than not being able to hold onto players... I suppose it even comes down to costs of housing and things like that where young adults are not able to readily afford housing in Rostrevor and move to neighbouring places or further afield - particularly first buyers which would take in much of the senior age bracket - It's definitely simplistic to say that it's the only reason, but it's an issue that even falls outside of the club's ability to change. Having said that, it's definitely disappointing not to have had more success. I think the mid 00s were promising, but we probably felt the effects of our extra-time defeat to Mayobridge in the 2007 QF for a few years and lost some momentum.

Truth hurts

Quote from: SuperRed on August 09, 2021, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: Truth hurts on August 09, 2021, 03:37:36 PM

We had a nearly two decades worth of continuous underage success, but it's a bit more complicated than not being able to hold onto players... I suppose it even comes down to costs of housing and things like that where young adults are not able to readily afford housing in Rostrevor and move to neighbouring places or further afield - particularly first buyers which would take in much of the senior age bracket - It's definitely simplistic to say that it's the only reason, but it's an issue that even falls outside of the club's ability to change. Having said that, it's definitely disappointing not to have had more success. I think the mid 00s were promising, but we probably felt the effects of our extra-time defeat to Mayobridge in the 2007 QF for a few years and lost some momentum.

The price of housing in Rostrevor is crazy, can anything be done about it? is there anything to stop the penioners using it as a retirement home

SuperRed

Replay defeat in 2007 that should be - I don't know what can be done. There needs to be some more housing developments and less flats, but I suppose that's a question for other people

Truth hurts

Quote from: SuperRed on August 09, 2021, 03:57:39 PM
Replay defeat in 2007 that should be - I don't know what can be done. There needs to be some more housing developments and less flats, but I suppose that's a question for other people

The elected reps in Rostrevor need to be held accountable

SuperRed

Don't think anything will change in the foreseeable in that regard... Is there an official date set for the commencement of the club championships?

Mourne Red

Quote from: SuperRed on August 09, 2021, 04:55:33 PM
Don't think anything will change in the foreseeable in that regard... Is there an official date set for the commencement of the club championships?

Think it will be weekend of 10th-13th will be championship dates.. Week after the League, then run it off until October for County final then into Ulster/All Ireland

befair

Quote from: Truth hurts on August 09, 2021, 04:05:03 PM
Quote from: SuperRed on August 09, 2021, 03:57:39 PM

The elected reps in Rostrevor need to be held accountable
Only if the elected reps can move Carlingford Lough inland to Mayobridge and Hilltown; being beside the sea and mountains has unforeseen consequences

Down Follower

I know a lad who said that for years about seaside clubs.
There's something different in the air there alright 😁
Seriously though it has a severe impact on clubs as the former players from rostrevor are heavily involved in clubs such as Clonduff especially.

Truth hurts

A big two points for Dromara last night, it is good to see a competitive division 4 this year, the junior championship should be good viewing. Does anyone know if championship games will be streamed this year on Pairc TV?

Truth hurts

What's the deal with Teconnaught nor fielding for their last two fixtures?