Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie99

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 19, 2007, 11:20:22 AM
In regards to filling in the blanks, Dundrum did not win the Junior Feis 7s in 2007. We won it in 2006.

St Johns won it in 2007, beat Tullylish in the final.

Mourne Rover

Dan Gordon did not make any forecasts during his speech. He simply said that he owed the GAA a debt, rather than the other way round, that as far as he was concerned his career at intercounty level had not yet started and that he was determined to see an improvement in Down football, beginning this summer. In accepting the Breen Morgan award, he said he had intended to say what a gentleman Breen was until a close relative told him that Breen was the sort of player who would have cut you in two to win the ball. He put it all a little more eloquently than it may read, and he got a great response from his audience.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Mourne Rover on November 19, 2007, 09:53:51 PM
Dan Gordon did not make any forecasts during his speech. He simply said that he owed the GAA a debt, rather than the other way round, that as far as he was concerned his career at intercounty level had not yet started and that he was determined to see an improvement in Down football, beginning this summer. In accepting the Breen Morgan award, he said he had intended to say what a gentleman Breen was until a close relative told him that Breen was the sort of player who would have cut you in two to win the ball. He put it all a little more eloquently than it may read, and he got a great response from his audience.

Maybe he will start to play like that now and begin to deliver - he has been very average this past three seasons.

buglebhoy

Anyone know when different clubs are beginning training for next season, i dread the thought of it to be honest!! Mid March would suit me but there's talk of the start of January for a lot of clubs i've been hearing!!

DownFanatic

I would disagree with you Spirit in regards to your opinion on Dan Gordan. I think he has probably been our most consistent performer these past few years. I still think there is a lot to come from him when Ross sorts out a viable midfield partner for him.
Just when we are on the Down team, has anybody got any recommendations for the full back slot yet?
Think im gonna nip down to Newcastle tonight. Down are playin Queens in a Challenge. Would be good to cast a few glances over our new pack.

amallon

DownFanatic - I don't know if you are keen or just pure mad to be going to look at this training match tonight.  :) 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

DownFanatic

Im just very keen amallon. Sure It'll give us something to talk about tomorrow.

downredblack

Fair play Fanatic , would be interested to know who he is trying at the back even at this early stage . Who are his realistic options there anyway ?
McCartan , Cole , Raffertry , Doyle , Murphy , Doran  , Barry , Skullion (has he left ?) Murtagh , any others ?

spiritof91and94

Fanatic,
I watched them v UUJ 2 weeks ago and guess who was the best player on the pitch - - - - - - - - - - - -James Colgan - playing for UUJ!!!!
Some lad Hurley from Dundrum at number 5 - easily the worst ever Down player i have ever seen.
Conor Gribben No.11 Packie Downey No.15 and Jack Lynch No.9 only worth the run-out that night but will they be contenders?

islandboy

i was at the dinner last friday night and dan gordan spoke very well. in relation to his displays for down, he was easily downs best player this year.

DownFanatic

Some interesting comments there Spirit. ;D
Infact Hurley didn't start against UUJ nor was he wearing the Number 5 shirt. He came on and played corner back as far as im aware.

I think by now everyone knows that Colgan has been kicked off the panel. He has definitely improved a hell of lot over the past 12 months. I think this is down to the fact that he got a considerable amount of club football over the past year. He has definitely improved 10 fold as a player but I suspect his attitude is not what it should be.
I rate Conor Gribben very highly and I think he should get an extended run with the team this year. He could contribute a whole lot. Packie Downey wont be anywhere near the team this year. He's a good player but I wouldnt like to see him up against the likes of Joe McMahon come Championship time. Jackie Lynch is a solid club player and will give his all but Paul Murphy is twice the player he is and should be starting alongside Dan in midfield this year.

By the way Spirit, how are Bryansford's preparations for Division 2 coming on? ;)

Leo

Heard Dan Gordon got a great ovation at the event when he received the Breen Morgan Award. Also heard that  our former Chairman nearly bored the guests to death  even though he wasnt on the Clar. Typical.
Fierce tame altogether

spiritof91and94

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 20, 2007, 02:24:37 PM
Some interesting comments there Spirit. ;D
Infact Hurley didn't start against UUJ nor was he wearing the Number 5 shirt. He came on and played corner back as far as im aware.

I think by now everyone knows that Colgan has been kicked off the panel. He has definitely improved a hell of lot over the past 12 months. I think this is down to the fact that he got a considerable amount of club football over the past year. He has definitely improved 10 fold as a player but I suspect his attitude is not what it should be.
I rate Conor Gribben very highly and I think he should get an extended run with the team this year. He could contribute a whole lot. Packie Downey wont be anywhere near the team this year. He's a good player but I wouldnt like to see him up against the likes of Joe McMahon come Championship time. Jackie Lynch is a solid club player and will give his all but Paul Murphy is twice the player he is and should be starting alongside Dan in midfield this year.

By the way Spirit, how are Bryansford's preparations for Division 2 coming on? ;)

Well from being at the game and talking to other spectators present, this was the name I was given for the number 5 - but as far as you are aware i am wrong, ok. In fairness though I wouldn't be familiar with alot of the panel.

We all thought that of Packie Downey and Jack Lynch last year but they made the championship 15.
Colgan deserves a break - he went for a club meal at the end of the day resulting in him being excluded from a squad that badly needs a player of his calibre, I know alot will think different but this was surely a over reaction.

Bryansford boys are flat out in the new state of the art gym installed recently in their sports hall and several players have had operations that have been held up, they are also in the U20 county final and a spell in div 2 may well bring alot of these boys through to senior level, so all in all everything seems to be going ok.

Any reports from Newcastle last night?

islandboy

no i am not dan gordan, wish i was as good though.
to be fair to ross i dont think that he would kick out colgen just because he missed that one night. has he trained many nights with down?

lfdown2

more to it than the dinner dance incident!