Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackjack

Quote from: KIDDO on November 11, 2007, 10:59:26 PM
The condition of the pitch may be one aspect ,but what about thetraffic jams in Newry  on any Sunday ,  crazy place to hold a game , only 3500 spectators were listed as attending this afternoons game , but it took a long time to exit Newry this afternoon ,  it will certainly not take as long to exitClones next Sunday.

I think this was more to do with the bomb scare that was in the town and the traffic lights by the shopping centre and the Quays were out....it usually isnt as bad as it was yesterday.

Minus15

st Paul's i had no idea this has come up again. I had mentioned a few weeks back that the mitchels were to appeal but as i hadn't heard anything more I assumed they had accepted their fate. Why must you play Drumgath? Is it that mitchels have won whatever they appealed and as things stand yourselves and mitchels have 2 playoff points?? (mitchels being awarded 2 points as drumgath didn't field in Glenn last month)? So if st pauls were to beat drumgath then they would be relegated, the mitchels staying up having not played a game? If drumgath win all 3 presumably would meet eachother again.

And judging by what had previously been said by you in relation to training having stopped the condition of the players for these teams could't be great, which makes these games very hard to call. Really, anything could happen.

stpauls

Quote from: Minus15 on November 12, 2007, 12:49:27 PM
st Paul's i had no idea this has come up again. I had mentioned a few weeks back that the mitchels were to appeal but as i hadn't heard anything more I assumed they had accepted their fate. Why must you play Drumgath? Is it that mitchels have won whatever they appealed and as things stand yourselves and mitchels have 2 playoff points?? (mitchels being awarded 2 points as drumgath didn't field in Glenn last month)? So if st pauls were to beat drumgath then they would be relegated, the mitchels staying up having not played a game? If drumgath win all 3 presumably would meet eachother again.

And judging by what had previously been said by you in relation to training having stopped the condition of the players for these teams could't be great, which makes these games very hard to call. Really, anything could happen.

Minus, Mitchels won their appeal on Wednesday night past, as i said, not sure what the basis of their appeal was, but basically the Ulster council stated that the Down CB had to either get the problem sorted on the field, or let Mitchels stay in Div 3. so in their wisdom, the have decided that our game against Drumgath should go ahead.
now, as we have no idea what Drumgath or Mitchels appealed against, we feel that this match against Drumgath should not go ahead, and are currently in the process of appealing ourselves.

if the match does go ahead, and we win, Drumgath go down, at least in theory. if Drumgath win, we all go at it again, but this time not round robin, but straight knock out, that is, if we are drawn to play Mitchels in the first game and we win, Mitchels would then play Drumgath, and the losers of that match would go down. its starting grind on my nuts to be honest!!

spiritof91and94

Anybody know the stage of the South Down Under 20 competition?
I heard Clonduff got eliminated by the South Down Board -- Why was this?
Bryansford beat Castlewellan yesterday in the East Down Final - 1.15 to 2.09 aet - a cracking display by our boys and the performance of Conor Maginn was immense - how he missed a minor AI medal beggars belief - Kevin Duffin could not get near him yesterday and the town ended up with 2 men marking him.

Leo

The condition of the pitch may be one aspect ,but what about thetraffic jams in Newry  on any Sunday ,  crazy place to hold a game , only 3500 spectators were listed as attending this afternoons game , but it took a long time to exit Newry this afternoon ,  it will certainly not take as long to exitClones next Sunday.

The traffic issue is easily solved if county board will consult fully with roads service and PSNI.  No stewarding of the traffic leaving the ground yesyaerday, exacerbated by all-day security alert caused by some numbskull at the war memorial.
If you go to Punchestown races in the Spring the Gardai operate one-way systems on small country roads in and out, reversing the flow after the races. This could easily be done with Kilmorey Street, Old Warrenpoint Road, Chapel Hill  & the carriageway to facilitate match traffic.
As for yesterday's attendance, apparently the stand holds 4300 - it was full, with at least 2000 on the other side of the ground. The radio said 7500, my eye said about 5500, but Ulster Council knows best!
How soon before we have calibrated turnstiles?
Finally a good game bewteen two well-behaved teams with Dropmore deserving to win.
Fierce tame altogether

5 Sams

They annouced the "official" attendance at the game yesterday ......it was 3,700.
The Aristocrat Years

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Leo on November 12, 2007, 01:34:31 PM

As for yesterday's attendance, apparently the stand holds 4300 - it was full, with at least 2000 on the other side of the ground. The radio said 7500, my eye said about 5500, but Ulster Council knows best!

Make your mind up!

downredblack

Anyone who drives up near the ground is asking for trouble , In saying that thks to the Tyrone man who stopped and asked me for directions and drove me right up to the front door  :D

Square Ball

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on November 12, 2007, 01:20:46 PM
Bryansford beat Castlewellan yesterday in the East Down Final - 1.15 to 2.09 aet - a cracking display by our boys and the performance of Conor Maginn was immense - how he missed a minor AI medal beggars belief - Kevin Duffin could not get near him yesterday and the town ended up with 2 men marking him.

must have been some game Spirit, I have seen both of these teams recently and honestly thought that Castlewellan would win the whole thing, congratulations
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

5 Sams

Clonduff got the boot for playing Under 16s.
The Aristocrat Years

rosskarr

Bryansford I believe having been playing an U-16 year old also for their U-20's.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: rosskarr on November 12, 2007, 02:47:34 PM
Bryansford I believe having been playing an U-16 year old also for their U-20's.

It takes an allegation from a fool like you to stir up a load of shite - Bryansford had 4 under 17 players in their team - not under 16 - 3 under 16's train with the squad but dont strip out on matchday, all in all we have a good future ahead of us.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Square Ball on November 12, 2007, 02:08:20 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on November 12, 2007, 01:20:46 PM

must have been some game Spirit, I have seen both of these teams recently and honestly thought that Castlewellan would win the whole thing, congratulations

Cheers square. Castlewellan were favourites alright but our boys really stood up to the mark yesterday.

Naomh Pol CLG

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 12, 2007, 11:49:17 AM
absolutely bs!disgraceful behaviour from dgath, happy enough when they were 4th from top to take the playoff!!

To be honest, I don't blame them, I blame the County Board for not having things set in concrete before the season kicked off.  There should never have been the room for this sort of amibiguity, Drumgath merely explioted a huge loop-hole left by an inadequate administration...Fair play to Mitchels too, they fought to save their Division 3 status and seem to have been thrown a life-line.

The long and short of it is, we are not safe when it was confirmed to us that if we beat Mitchels in Castlewellan we would be.  We of course will now be appealing on the grounds of "if everyone else does and gets what they want, why shouldn't we?".  Although knowing from past experience, out of the 3 clubs involved, we are the ones they would worry least about!  Sure what are we doing playing Gaelic Football in North Down Anyway?

A complete re-vamp of the administration of Coiste Contae An Duin and specifically the CCC, must be the outcome of this disgraceful farce. >:( ::)

the milkman

Quote from: downredblack on November 12, 2007, 09:42:07 AM
Dissapointing for the Bridge yesterday , definatley there for the taking but midway through the second half they just seemed to lose direction and reminded me of the Down senior team overplaying the ball with ten hand passes when fast ball into the forwards was needed .
On the bright side at least Mickey Walsh fixed McMenimen's yapping . ;D

Why what did he do?